1 2
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/19/13 6:34 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: Not sure who you're talking about, ( not me obviously), but I learned when I had my Legacy that Subaru 5 speeds really don't like being downshifted into first on course.

I have never had a problem with any of the Subarus I've driven. I've driven four on-course with manual trans, a Certain Green OBS, a Certain Blue WRX (yes, that one), and a Certain White 2.5RS. Also Tim White's old car, and I've forgotten what color it was...

Neutral, rev, clutch in, 1st, clutch out and GO. No problems. I was doing it while braking into corners with the Certain Green OBS, to boot.

Then again, practically every car I've ever driven requires a double clutch downshift to get into 1st if you have any speed going at all. The RX-7 requires it for all gears.

My experience with Tim White's car was interesting. Tim was sharing the car with ZB and I, at Roos' Farm. ZB was running opposite of our heat, and Tim and I were working the same corner. We were debating on how to drive the course in a certain spot: downshift to 1st here and then upshift there, downshift to 1st here and ride it out for two or three more course features before shifting back to 2nd, or just leaving it in 2nd. ZB happened to try it all three ways while we watched. All of his times were nearly identical. Tim and I found the same thing when our runs came up. No matter how you drive them, they just work nicely.

That was also the day that I discovered that Subaru shifters can pop out of their socket sometimes. Since then I've seen it happen two more times.

2.5RSs are nice driving cars but CRIPES it's expensive to find a decent one. Especially if you want to run in stock class, since a large percentage have been modified in some way.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/19/13 8:24 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Go autocross, then go rallycross, then reflect on how approximately 103.4% of people who have autocross experience, then do a rallycross, *stop autocrossing*.

lol.....I know a few who still autocross after rallycrossing.

very few.

I did a few hundred autocrosses over 20 years. Since I started rallycrossing 2 years ago, I've done none. I may take the rallycross car out on its star specs to one just for laughs though.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/19/13 8:26 p.m.

e36 318TI.... small/light enough that it's basically an e30 with nicer interior :)

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/19/13 11:56 p.m.

If you want an RX-7, I'd go with a second generation car.

Where are you located? That may play into the Daily Driver question as well.

Also, I am SHOCKED nobody said P71 or Fox body Mustang. Seriously, guys.

Edit to add: If you do decide to go FWD, look at a Mazda3.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
8/20/13 2:38 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: If you want an RX-7, I'd go with a second generation car. Where are you located? That may play into the Daily Driver question as well. Also, I am SHOCKED nobody said P71 or Fox body Mustang. Seriously, guys. Edit to add: If you do decide to go FWD, look at a Mazda3.

I have seen a P71 Rally-X - we had a good laugh.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/20/13 4:43 p.m.
NGTD wrote: I have seen a P71 Rally-X - we had a good laugh.

Detroit Region had a regular who ran a P71.

More recently were a pair of newer Chargers.

Nick Murphy
Nick Murphy New Reader
8/20/13 6:49 p.m.

Located hour north of Detroit, already owned one Fox body Mustang, not that it was a bad thing, but once was enough. ha

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IDBsLNPEXQv9AFT6vXHad0KYAaHmBoGTQorGZNfTqaUpqOzOLIMgCWyJcqzFGzHw