1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
3/19/22 11:56 p.m.

My prayers go out to you and your dad.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/20/22 12:15 a.m.

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting your dad like some of the long time members here but I'm praying for your dad, hope he fights like hell.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/22 2:11 p.m.

Damn, I'd met him at the Challenge before and I'm hoping to see him and the car he's been working on in October, I'm pulling for you Warren!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/22 8:36 p.m.

Staph infections are nasty, but survivable.  I have nothing but confidence.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
3/20/22 10:46 p.m.

Just wanted to check in and say how awesome it is that so many guys here have met and know you and your dad. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/21/22 2:45 p.m.

Prayers out to your family and your Dad!  

I have never met him, but I can send a prayer out anyway!

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/21/22 3:53 p.m.

I just saw this, happiness and mojo sent your way

imgon
imgon HalfDork
3/21/22 3:55 p.m.

Prayers sent for Warren and the family, hope things are improving.  

SaxyHero
SaxyHero New Reader
3/21/22 4:06 p.m.

Sending positive thoughts to Warren and your family. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/22 4:39 p.m.

I'm not sure how I've missed this until now. I'll echo the thoughts and pulling for medical science. As noted, staph into the bloodstream is daunting and can create concerns in difficult to treat locations. If Interfurion 3 isn't being used, all but demand that they start utilizing it. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/21/22 4:47 p.m.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/21/22 7:18 p.m.

Warren is one of my favorite reasons to go to the Challenge!

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm praying for a speedy recovery!

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/22/22 9:22 a.m.

I am sorry I missed this until now.  We will keep all of you in our prayers.

Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper New Reader
3/22/22 11:07 a.m.

I've been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support for my Dad and the sheer number of people who truly care about him. So many people have reached out to me asking if there is anything they can do. My Dad has made friends with a LOT of people over the years through various groups; work, hockey, racing, golf and more. I want him to be able to see that support too. I had the idea to share his Dead Skunk Motorsports logo with the world in t-shirt form. Purchase a shirt and take a picture of yourself wearing yours and send it to me with any message you'd like to send to Warren so I can put together a book showing all his friends from around the world! Take a picture at your favorite race track, in your garage, in front of your project car!

Tees are $27 in honor of the number 27 he ran while racing. $3 from each shirt (my total profit) will be donated to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan for their amazing care of my Dad.

Warren Martin IS Dead Skunk Motorsports. Dead Skunk Motorsports IS Warren Martin.

His use of the name dates back to his days auto crossing with the Western Ontario Sports Car Association and Canadian Automobile Sport Clubs. He was the 1987 Canadian Autoslalom Championship H Stock class champion. Alcohol may have been involved when coming up with the team name.

Dead Skunk Motorsports transitioned to the SCCA Improved Touring B class in 1996 when Warren converted his Volkswagen Golf GTI from a streetcar to a race car. He raced exclusively at Waterford Hills in Clarkston, Michigan, eventually winning the ITB class championship in 2003, and the Gary Taylor Memorial Award which is given to "the ITB driver who most embodies (Gary's) spirit of sportsmanship both on and off the track." Following his championship, he began building a Mazda Miata to race in the Spec Miata class. He raced the car for a number of years.

Warren has since switched his focus to the Grassroots Motorsports $2000 Challenge, a competition requiring participants to purchase, build or modify a car for a budget of less than $2000 total. Warren's first attempt at competing was in a supercharged Mazda Miata NB which he purchased for $1000. Some homemade aerodynamic upgrades were made. The car ran to a 2nd place finish in the autocross, and a respectable 14 second run on the drag strip. His current project is a 1970s Toyota Corolla that he has built a tube-frame chassis for and plans to install a Chevrolet LS engine into, all for less than $2000.

*This is NOT a fundraiser for my Dad. My parents are insured and financially stable, so they don't need charity. All proceeds from this shirt will be donated to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor for their care of my Dad.

https://cottonbureau.com/products/dead-skunk-motorsports

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/22/22 11:44 a.m.

Purchased!

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/22/22 12:30 p.m.

I always like racing TShirts. Still thinking positive thoughts for Warren.

drock25too
drock25too GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/22/22 12:45 p.m.
Stampie said:

I always like racing TShirts. Still thinking positive thoughts for Warren.

My wife says that the Last thing I need is another racing t-shirt. But if it's for a good cause she's in. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/22 12:55 p.m.

I'd like to mention that I ran my first autox in London, Ontario in the mid 90's. And I managed to hit two skunks during the first year I was driving in that town, one in my own garage (don't sleep under the wheels, kids). So I totally understand Dead Skunk Motorsports.

Thanks for keeping us up to date!

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/22 4:40 p.m.

Even though it isn't part of the fundraiser, I had to had a subpar shirt to my order as well. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/22 5:23 p.m.

Any updates Ryan?

Also T shirt ordered here as well.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
3/22/22 7:04 p.m.

In for a shirt, order placed.   I’ve been thinking of your Dad a lot these past few days and hope to hear some good news soon. 

pkingham (Forum Supporter)
pkingham (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/22/22 7:23 p.m.

Just ordered a shirt.  Now to think of a cool place to take a pic while wearing it.

Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper New Reader
3/22/22 8:09 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I'll add that to the fundraising total too! Thanks!

Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper New Reader
3/22/22 8:17 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

They did another surgery on his arm today to clean it, check for infection, and install a pump to remove fluid. He now has one in his arm AND leg. He is awake and alert and cussing at the nurses frequently (has to make up for the time he was intubated and couldn't talk I guess). He can start eating and drinking tomorrow which he is very much looking forward to. He has 2-4 days before they'll do skin grafts on both areas. After that I'm not sure what happens. A bone marrow biopsy will be coming and possibly a blood transfusion to sort out the low white cell and platelet counts. He will likely be moving  from the surgical ICU to the medical ICU.

It was amazing to actually get to talk TO him today, not just at him. I told him the results of the Grand Prix this weekend, and most importantly that he had a ton of people in his corner rooting for him. 

Thank you all who have purchased t-shirts so far! It is the 4th most popular shirt on the entire site right now!

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/22/22 8:40 p.m.

Shirt ordered. Glad to hear that he is making progress. 

1 2 3 4 5 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0OEqdKzlBw62MlLngxfQyDHI3oImP37izfDf6lC8INipPBe5MCrnt8IOVe7R2pez