1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/13 11:32 a.m.

I figured it was the feline as well. Says something about his reputation that we all assume that. I know there have been problems with other Bilstein revalvers, though.

The credit card dispute really is the nuke in your arsenal. It will definitely get the attention of the company in question. As a vendor, I hate to see it happen although it's probably justified in this case.

And email/phone problems can happen to anyone. All it takes is one backhoe.

Now, how to avoid this in the first place? Well, the obvious answer is to do business with companies that don't have this reputation (for example, AFCOs are on the shelf and I could ship you a set on Monday ).

However, you may find yourself in a situation where you feel you must take the risk due to lower prices/unique products/smooth talking figureheads. In that case, the best thing to do is document. Do your communication via email so you've got delivery dates in writing. Pay via credit card or some other method that gives you the ability to dispute charges in the event of non-delivery. Withholding payment until the delivery of parts or working out a deposit arrangement is an option, but may not be workable for a small company with limited cash flow and also puts the company at risk if you turn out to be a flake and they end up sitting on some expensive custom inventory.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/23/13 11:58 a.m.

only problem I see with the CC dispute route .. is they won't be getting "their" money, but in that case I don't see the OP getting his shocks back .. any time soon .... sorta like a stalemate

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/23/13 12:28 p.m.
wbjones wrote: only problem I see with the CC dispute route .. is they won't be getting "their" money, but in that case I don't see the OP getting his shocks back .. any time soon .... sorta like a stalemate

If given the option, would you rather be out a set of shocks, or out a set of shocks plus $$$? I hope the business gets back in touch with the OP and everybody is happy. I do custom work. E36 M3 happens and stuff runs late. My normal turnaround is 2 weeks, but sometimes stuff is out of stock from my suppliers, arrives damaged, etc., and 2 weeks can turn into 2 months.

No excuse for not returning phone calls though. It's one thing if your phone and internets are broken, but one would assume you've got a list of "orders in production." You should call the people on that list and give them another way to reach you. Tracphones are cheap.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
2/23/13 1:09 p.m.

Try this. new guy that supposedly is or was handling customer service. http://mazdaracers.com/topic/1493-stewart-development-shock-problems/?p=35995

Keith - we have a couple of other Bilstein options for Spec Miata racers that can leverage for rebuilds and revalves and off-the-shelf replacements. Some of the shops have done a fair amount of development work on valving within the tolerances that Spec Miata rules provide.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/13 3:10 p.m.

Ah yes, Spec Miata does limit your options.

moerdogg
moerdogg New Reader
2/25/13 7:44 a.m.

Thanks for the input and encouragement! This experience has definitely left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Fortunately there are plenty of reputable companies out there serving the community, and future purchases will be made from them.

I will try a couple other avenues before using "the nuke," but at least I know it's an option.

Oh, and I'm not running Spec FWIW. I had purchased Bilstein HDs a couple years ago knowing that they weren't perfect but there were lots of re-valve options. I went from running FM springs to 750/450 for STS, and decided to upgrade the shocks. It was a close call between selling the HDs and getting some Konis, and the re-valve option. Live and learn...

moerdogg
moerdogg New Reader
3/11/13 11:46 a.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: Try this. new guy that supposedly is or was handling customer service. http://mazdaracers.com/topic/1493-stewart-development-shock-problems/?p=35995 Keith - we have a couple of other Bilstein options for Spec Miata racers that can leverage for rebuilds and revalves and off-the-shelf replacements. Some of the shops have done a fair amount of development work on valving within the tolerances that Spec Miata rules provide.

Thank you! I contacted him and he was pretty bitter. They hadn't worked together in ~3 months, he said. Also didn't know whether the place was still in business. Now the website and shop phone are both down, so I guess he was right.

BUT, managed to get my money back from the CC company at least (yay!). Still no communication about my shocks themselves. Who would be the appropriate authorities to contact? Hate to use "the nuke," but every avenue of communication I have tried has come to nothing.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
3/11/13 11:51 a.m.

Small claims is honestly about the only way.

moerdogg
moerdogg New Reader
3/11/13 11:54 a.m.
yamaha wrote: Small claims is honestly about the only way.

Can I use a local court? Or do I have to pursue it through North Carolina?

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
3/11/13 12:37 p.m.

probably through a local court to that individual

cwaters
cwaters New Reader
3/11/13 1:09 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: How does one have email and phone problems in 2013?

Do not pay your Comcast/ATT/Verizon bill. For them, it's no problem to cut off your services. Causes no end of problems when they do.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
3/11/13 1:21 p.m.
moerdogg wrote:
yamaha wrote: Small claims is honestly about the only way.
Can I use a local court? Or do I have to pursue it through North Carolina?

I would contact the Attorney General for NC first, to see if they can help. Worked for me years back for a company in Ohio. If that doesn't work then small claims would be the next step.

moerdogg
moerdogg New Reader
3/11/13 1:29 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: I would contact the Attorney General for NC first, to see if they can help. Worked for me years back for a company in Ohio. If that doesn't work then small claims would be the next step.

Great suggestion, I will submit a consumer complaint with them. Thanks!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/11/13 3:46 p.m.

If this company is an advertiser in GRM or CMS, please contact me:

Joe@Grassrootsmotorsports.com

We try to make sure our readers receive good treatment from our advertisers, and occasionally we can be a liaison to make sure things are rectified. Please let me know if this is the case. I'd be happy to make a call if it helps.

One more reason to support the folks that advertise in GRM or CMS. Glad to hear that it isn't Fat Cat Motorsports, as they have always been good to deal with. They have also always been easy to contact via phone and email.

Good luck with your dispute--- if we can be of help, please let me know.

moerdogg
moerdogg New Reader
3/11/13 4:06 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: If this company is an advertiser in GRM or CMS, please contact me: Joe@Grassrootsmotorsports.com We try to make sure our readers receive good treatment from our advertisers, and occasionally we can be a liaison to make sure things are rectified. Please let me know if this is the case. I'd be happy to make a call if it helps. One more reason to support the folks that advertise in GRM or CMS. Glad to hear that it isn't Fat Cat Motorsports, as they have always been good to deal with. They have also always been easy to contact via phone and email. Good luck with your dispute--- if we can be of help, please let me know.

Joe,

Thank you! I will PM to keep the thread uncluttered. This kind of response (and really all the responses in this thread) are why I enjoy this community so much! I'm more of a lurker in general, but it's a great resource and I love seeing what other people are up to.

Alex

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
3/11/13 5:07 p.m.

If you sent them the parts and haven't got them back isn't that mail fraud? That's a big no no and will get the authorities attention.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/11/13 6:00 p.m.

IANAL, but doesn't fraud imply premeditation, rather than a potential lack of competence when it comes to scheduling or keeping a business open?

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
3/11/13 6:31 p.m.

Good on GRM, for real.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UbcEdtfd9BQgcosaBVISsQ1o1GLblobnixFyr74VjrTU9CUunLElWIpNoe0V3ZXZ