1 2
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/12/09 6:26 a.m.

Corvette, Modified 3rd gen Camaro or Modified Fox Mustang

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
2/12/09 6:45 a.m.

Don't worry about a Corvette not autocrossing well. They rule the Super Stock class. The might not be too much fun on a twisty road though. The limit on the car is so high you should never be anywhere near it on a public road. At a trackday, a C4 vette is the bes bang for your buck period. Tires aren't even too expensive if you stick with the stock size (275/40-17) thanks to the shear number of the cars that were produced. Knowing what I know now, I would have skipped my 350Z and bought a Vette. Skip the LT1 and hold out for an LS1powered C4 or a C5.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Associate Publisher
2/12/09 7:19 a.m.

I personally would try to find an FC RX-7 with an LS1 if I were looking for a toy. Roughly 2500 lbs with a 350 hp stock. Mustang rims bolt on to the 5 lug cars and you can fit 245 tires all around easily. Engine upgrades are cheap and easy.

Those can be found under 10k pretty easily and would blow most of your other options out of the water.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/12/09 8:56 a.m.

LS1 never made it to the C4. That's why I recommended the C5.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
2/12/09 9:56 a.m.
Greg Voth wrote: I personally would try to find an FC RX-7 with an LS1 if I were looking for a toy. Roughly 2500 lbs with a 350 hp stock. Mustang rims bolt on to the 5 lug cars and you can fit 245 tires all around easily. Engine upgrades are cheap and easy. Those can be found under 10k pretty easily and would blow most of your other options out of the water.

yes. pretty much what I said but you spelled it out nicely.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/12/09 10:02 a.m.

If you want to see/ride in a sorted LS1 FC, Josh will be one of the guys at Packwood this year. It's a monster of a car! FC RX-7 with the 4-piston brakes, slotted rotors, Tein coilovers, adjustable shocks, huge swaybars, Advans on Mustang wheels, all with 320+ RWHP LS1/T56 combo. I drag raced it last year to a 12.4@114 on the Advans.

Sofa King
Sofa King New Reader
2/12/09 10:32 a.m.

+1 on the C5 Corvette

I am only 6'2" compared to your 6'5" , I am passing line-backer and heading to guard, but I still fit in a Miata. In fact I own a 92, 97 and 99, and also a 98 Corvette. (Also a 88 RX-7). The only way you will fit in a Miata is to throw away the seat. I bolt an aluminum racing seat directly to the floor, and only just barely fit under a hard top when I wear a helmet. The C5 has more room, but I still manage to brush the roof with my head. Still, if you fit, I think that you would be happy with the car. It is fast, handles great, and will get 30+ MPG on the highway,

I was worried when I got the Corvette that I wouldn't like it's large size, and to some extent it does feel big, but it seems to get smaller the more I drive it. I tend to use the Vette for cruising and I tend to drive the Miatas harder. I tell anyone who will listen that, when I take the Vette, I want to stop,get out, and admire it. When I take a Miata, I want to drive it ....HARD!

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
2/12/09 11:09 a.m.

I think the Vette would make a good car for your usage and size. Fun torquey V8, nice handling, good brakes.

The E36 BMW is another car with potential and the E46 has also depreciated quite a bit recently. Good driving dynamics, easy to drive quickly.

I like the idea of a FC chassis RX7 but its getting hard to find in good shape. The non-turbo is pretty slow. The turbo can be a bit peaky depending on mods. If you can find a good LSx swapped FC, that might be pretty cool but so would the 'Vette at that point.

Any cheap FD chassis RX7 is going to cost you to get back into shape. I have one. Excellent driver's car but it is 15 years old at this point so pay for a good one up front or pay to replace worn out parts along the way. It might be too tight for someone your size.

The Vette or the Bimmer sound like the best bets right now.

ww
ww Dork
2/12/09 11:19 a.m.

I've driven an FD RX7 with an LS1 T56 swap and it is fun, but the Michelin 255 Pilot Cup's are horribly under sized/sticky tires for that power to weight ratio. You could probably shoe horn 275's under the fenders, but anything bigger is going to require body modifications to accommodate.

Although I've never driven a swapped FC, I suspect it'll have the same issues with that much torque and that little tire. Now, granted, I run 275's on my Datsun, so I may have an unusual perspective on tire sizing.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/12/09 1:13 p.m.

255's fit in a stock FC no problem, 275's are a fender roller away.

bigtoed
bigtoed New Reader
2/12/09 7:31 p.m.

What? no mustang fans? Cheap, bucketloads of handling/go fast goodies, and plenty of room.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/12/09 8:04 p.m.
Greg Voth wrote: I personally would try to find an FC RX-7 with an LS1 if I were looking for a toy. Roughly 2500 lbs with a 350 hp stock. Mustang rims bolt on to the 5 lug cars and you can fit 245 tires all around easily. Engine upgrades are cheap and easy. Those can be found under 10k pretty easily and would blow most of your other options out of the water.

Do you happen to know any of these available for less than $10k? I'd love to take a look at one, but haven't come across one for sale at a reasonable price.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
2/12/09 9:52 p.m.

What about an MR2 Turbo? It fits most of your criteria and is huge inside. I drove mine for over 150k carefree miles, and with a few mods was pulling over 300hp.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/12/09 10:18 p.m.

You say you don't think you'll fit in a Miata - but have you tried one? Not the new version, the one you're considering. Give it a try, it won't hurt. Then you'll KNOW.

There are more people on the GRM board that "don't fit" Miatas than in the rest of the US population combined. I think it's a form of denial :)

Canute
Canute New Reader
2/13/09 1:32 a.m.

You could get a pretty nice C4 for ten grand. The 300Zs are a good quarter ton heavier than the Corvette. Piggy and probably likely to be much more expensive to maintain. I'm converted.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/13/09 6:52 a.m.
Keith wrote: You say you don't think you'll fit in a Miata - but have you tried one? Not the new version, the one you're considering. Give it a try, it won't hurt. Then you'll KNOW. There are more people on the GRM board that "don't fit" Miatas than in the rest of the US population combined. I think it's a form of denial :)

Keith, I have owned two... I don't fit.

6'3" 44" waist 56" chest 31" inseam... the top was always down or i was rubbing it.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
2/13/09 7:10 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: Do you happen to know any of these available for less than $10k? I'd love to take a look at one, but haven't come across one for sale at a reasonable price.

here you go, enjoy

http://www.v8rx7forum.com/classifieds-buy-sell-trade/

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Associate Publisher
2/13/09 8:35 a.m.

Yeah check out assuies link. The are out there and hover right around 10k. You probably will have to travel to find a nice clean one.

These are nice examples. http://www.v8rx7forum.com/cars-sale/53587-il-88-gtu-ls1-swap-trade-sell.html

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=248122644

This one needs some work but is in your neck of the woods. http://www.v8rx7forum.com/cars-sale/48420-87-ls1-fc-6-speed-oregon.html

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/13/09 10:03 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
dyintorace wrote: Do you happen to know any of these available for less than $10k? I'd love to take a look at one, but haven't come across one for sale at a reasonable price.
here you go, enjoy http://www.v8rx7forum.com/classifieds-buy-sell-trade/

Thanks...I'll check it out.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
2/13/09 10:20 a.m.

The E36 M3 is a wonderful car that can be had for $10k. Its faster than you think and easy to drive faster than you should in almost any condition. Other bonuses... a real trunk and useful backseat for when not out hooning it up.

Really big guys fit wearing a helmet with a quick seat mod but if you like the stock seats the way they are then you might have to drive italian style with the lid on.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/13/09 11:08 a.m.

That one that "needs work" is Josh's. Consistent Top 3 Overall time in autocrosses, 12.4's in the 1/4, fully sorted. He just swapped in a new Viper-spec T56 too. All it needs is a little bodywork and a paintjob.

I don't think it's for sale anymore though.

geoffl
geoffl New Reader
2/13/09 11:33 a.m.
turboswede wrote: Any Corvette Fans?

I have an 02 C5 Z06 and it is a great car. Solid, no rattles, corners great, and has none of the flex my C3 had. You can cruise as a daily driver in traffic, hammer the drags or flog it trough the twistys. Docile in traffic and high 20's mpg on interstates. Clutch isn't too stiff, and the torque is all through the rev band. I love mine.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
2/13/09 4:38 p.m.

You need THIS:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1033161202.html

1989 1LE Z28 Camaro

Never thought i'd actually see one.

Canute
Canute New Reader
2/13/09 4:41 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: You need THIS: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1033161202.html 1989 1LE Z28 Camaro Never thought i'd actually see one.

Actually seems to be in good shape. I wonder if it's worth the price, though. But, good lord how can he misuse apostrophes so many times in two sentences?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z7TszFDQ0sjnClnopRwzXLm7riMkkC0hJ7fRaFpNB6PzUaWUzeVujvzyyVJefHcP