Steven Cole Smith
Steven Cole Smith Contributor
1/29/24 1:07 p.m.
feature_image

Well, that was weird: The Rolex 24 at Daytona’s end seemed to come a bit early. Did the flagman throw the white flag too soon? Did somebody misread the time clock? The NBC broadcast said there were two laps to go, but the white flag flew almost immediately, and it seemed that the GTP cars had already begun their final …

Read the rest of the story

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/24 4:29 p.m.

GRM is not there and they screw it up.

That can be the only explanation.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/29/24 5:16 p.m.

Guess the checkered flag did come out a little early:

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/24 5:20 p.m.

Didn't F1 have a similar problem a couple of years ago with a guest flagger?

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
1/29/24 6:17 p.m.

You'd think that a 24 hr race, that's been happening for decades, sponsored by a WATCHMAKER, would, you know, start and end at the right time.

But, Noooooo....

I was watching the end, wondering if the Cadiilac was going to catch the Porsche, and with 2 laps to go....they waved the checkered. Even John Hindaugh was confused.   

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/24 6:22 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Didn't F1 have a similar problem a couple of years ago with a guest flagger?

In Canada a few years ago.  IIRC the drivers all knew it was too early so kept going, I think the FIA ruled afterwards that it stopped when the flag was waved, but there were no positions changed as a result.

Apparently it was not the guest flagger's fault, she waved it when she was told to and the official that told her to wave it was the one that screwed it up.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/29/24 6:28 p.m.
Noddaz said:

GRM is not there and they screw it up.

That can be the only explanation.

That has to be it. Here's a screenshot from the bottom of the article.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/24 6:33 p.m.

"The Timex 24 Hours" killed me!! laugh

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
1/29/24 6:50 p.m.

Somebody was dreading to go to work today and being part of a mandatory meeting......

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/29/24 9:22 p.m.
earlybroncoguy1 said:

You'd think that a 24 hr race, that's been happening for decades, sponsored by a WATCHMAKER, would, you know, start and end at the right time.

But, Noooooo....

I was watching the end, wondering if the Cadiilac was going to catch the Porsche, and with 2 laps to go....they waved the checkered. Even John Hindaugh was confused.   

Rolexes run fast. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/30/24 8:23 a.m.

I was listening to the RML broadcast at the end of the race and Hindbaugh said that the race started a little late so maybe that was the reason for the confusion.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
1/30/24 8:36 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

I was listening to the RML broadcast at the end of the race and Hindbaugh said that the race started a little late so maybe that was the reason for the confusion.

That's what I heard as well.  Perhaps the hold up with the Corvette on the pace laps threw everything off a bit?  I know the clock/watch aspect is important, but the time should start when pole position crosses start finish. 

And end the split start for the GT cars.  They aren't technically racing for 24 hours if the time is started by the highest class cars.  

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/30/24 8:44 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

Wouldn't that situation have created an even later flag?  Not an early flag?

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
1/30/24 9:03 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Wouldn't that situation have created an even later flag?  Not an early flag?

In theory, "event time" shows green flag at 1:40, checker at 1:40.  But timing and scoring starts when green flag goes.  So official time started at 1:41:30ish and race control threw the checker for the "event time".  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/30/24 9:06 a.m.
earlybroncoguy1 said:

But, Noooooo....

This is why I like breitling. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/30/24 9:39 a.m.
earlybroncoguy1 said:

But, Noooooo....

Right? I've never made a mistake at work either. 

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
1/30/24 12:28 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I used to have a Timex. My friend had a Rolex. It was frequently at the watchmaker for cleaning 'cuz it couldn't keep time. I never had a problem with mine!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/24 12:45 p.m.

In reply to jerel77494 :

The dirty secret of mechanical watches :) 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/30/24 1:17 p.m.

Six hours later, the Detroit Lions were praying to fifteen different gods that their contest could also end early.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gSsniJRsexA8zi6xNHB5O3rm1z1M0hGPhwBt6uQKOpTFf4IfqCkP6nQRwL1OjHip