1 2
93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
5/26/09 11:16 a.m.

Anyways..... i would NOT do a GSR swap.

I'd do one of three things.

1) B20Z w/ B-series tranny of your choice. It's higher compression, no VTAK!!!!111!11!!, so you won't snap your neck while merging onto the highways, but it'll still move along nicely. Cheap and easy to do.

2) LS Vtec. This will satisfy the inner VTAK!!111!11! demons. B18B block (cheap!), B16 head, and you're ready to roll. You'll have to source mounts, and i'd suggest a Golden Eagle LSV oil line conversion kit for added easyness. Pair with your favorite B-series tranny, stir vigorously. You want to make more power even though a "stock" lsvtec will give a GSR fits? LS crank, GSR rods, CTR pistons (12.5:1), ITR cams dropped in the stock B16 head, maybe some CTR valve springs. Tune it all on Crome, and you're looking at a damn fast little civic for not much money, considering what you end up with.

My buddy had essentially that same setup in his old 96 EK Coupe, and it was unreal how fast that thing would inhale 3rd gear. It felt like you were free-revving the car in neutral, the way the tach moved. It looked like it was just going to fling off the end.

3) "G23 Vtec." Strange combination that just happens to work. Ingredients: F23 bottom end, H22a head, H2B transmission conversion. Coolest part? K20 pistons drop in. So.... picture 250+WHP paired with a B16 CTR LSD transmission in your ~2500-2600lb civic. Awesome? I thought so too.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_0902_k24_vtec_vs_g23_vtec_tech_knowledge/index.html

Despite all that... i vote a high compression LS Vtec. Deals are out there. Aforementioned buddy with the old LS Vtec setup now has a 99-00 Si that was shoddily put together by the PO.

He scored a good LS block for $50. Threw some 12.5:1 compression forged pistons, Eagle rods, ARP bolts everywhere, Golden Eagle block guard, Golden Eagle LSV conversion together all for under $1000.

His head already had titanium valvetrain and Buddy Club Spec 4 cams. He slapped it back on with a one layer head gasket. We're anticipating seeing 230whp out of it, before the nitrous. The car already moves nicely, and revs to 9500rpms every day.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l0Fz27vrZWLQoJclxOe5ZoWB0alFCUYwIAPR2rPDlfvfT1UZwoyDEoLRxCfZTF3s