P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/27/08 11:41 p.m.

:evil:

OK, so 5 weeks ago I finally settled on a wheel/tire combo. Discount Tire Direct is the only place that offered both the wheels and tires I wanted, and to boot they had $100 off for wheels and $100 off for tires if ordered online PLUS free shipping. That meant my shiney new wheels with Falken Rt-615's were $593 delivered to my door. Sweet, right? WRONG. Having a mortgage, tuition, and other responsibilities of adult life it just wasn't prudent to drop 600 bones out of savings right then and there. So I did what any responsible car guy would do, I checked for the "expiration date" (there were NONE), saved the online "cart" and then through a bunch of spares on eBay to raise the funds out of car stuff.

Two weeks goes by, I've saved half, and the government's "bonus" check arrives. Alright, let's buy the wheels! WRONG. The online special changed from $100 off of any 4 wheels/$100 off any 4 tires (for $200 total) to a flat 10% off of any online order. Well damn, now it's $714 for my wheels/tires, a $111 raise in price in 2 weeks. Great, the special must change every month. So I hit eBay again and try to raise $400 more instead of $300 and put the check into savings (take that economy!!!). So today hits, I made my $400 and now I'm all set to go. I'll even have the wheels in time for the next autocross! WRONG.

It's not even a different month and the damn 10% off is GONE. So now it's the full $793 (great I'm short $100 again!). But WAIT, there's MORE! Not only is Discount OUT of the RT615 in 205/50/15, they dropped the listing for it, completely. As in it doesn't even exist. So the next comparable tire is more expensive making my new total $833, $240 MORE then I had originally budgeted for!!!

This is freaking ridiculous! I guess I should just give the hell up and either stick with the crappy 13" rolling stock and blow my $600 somewhere else or start my tedious intarwebz search ALL over again.

I know, whining about internet pricing seems stupid, but dammit they should have to put up an expiration date or something! Not to mention losing the #1 autocross tire as a choice. When did buying stuff become so stressful?

ww
ww Dork
5/28/08 12:45 a.m.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble, but the one thing you can count on is that any price you get for something on the internet can change as soon as you hit the refresh button on your browser.

One of the reasons vendors like it is because they can change the pricing on the fly at a moments notice and not have to wait for the next hard copy advertisement or catalog to be printed.

Save yourself some grief and set your budget and save your money before you start your search. I've been fortunate enough to "win" some pretty good online deals because I happened to stumble across a great deal that was either a pricing mistake or a very short lived "deal" that I happened across and had the money available to take advantage of the opportunity.

Good luck in your search.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper New Reader
5/28/08 4:47 a.m.

So you saw a sale, and chose not to take advantage of it. Later on, you go back and the sale is over, so you're pissed.

Ya know, sales are a limited time offer, that's their nature. If you want to get angry, get angry at the person who chose not to take advantage of the sale when it was happening.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
5/28/08 6:24 a.m.

Yep, that's just business. Sometimes there is a sale and sometimes there isn't. Companies use sales to generate business and now that it's nice out they are probably selling all they can and do not need to lower prices. We have all been in your shoes so you are not alone. Good luck in your wheel/tire purchase.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/28/08 8:15 a.m.

Having a mortgage, tuition, and other responsibilities of adult life it just wasn't prudent to drop 600 bones out of savings right then and there.

See, there's your problem right there. It is tough to be a responsible adult and have a sports car! I feel your pain all the time!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/28/08 8:27 a.m.

Yeah, I can't see this as DTD's fault. I jumped on that bill off price and saved $300 on 8 tires and 4 wheels for the Camry. Ya snooze, ya looze.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/28/08 8:42 a.m.

FYI, the Falken 615 is FAR from the best autox tire. It's not even one of the top autox street tires. Look at the Bridgestone RE01R for a heat tolerant, long wearing, top tier autox street tire. The Toyo R1R may be a smidge faster, but wears quicker and is a lot less heat tolerant. The Falken isn't even in the game anymore.

minimac
minimac Dork
5/28/08 9:15 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: So you saw a sale, and chose not to take advantage of it. Later on, you go back and the sale is over, so you're pissed. ... Ya know, sales are a limited time offer, that's their nature..
Dr. Hess wrote: Yeah, I can't see this as DTD's fault.... Ya snooze, ya looze.

I can sympathize, but is it really Discount Tires fault? I've had nothing but excellent service from them every time I've chosen to do business with them. It's not like you ordered them and then they raised the price on you. You missed a decent sale....not once, but twice. And you're pissed at them? If I was Mrs.P71, I'd be pissed at you! :twisted:

CoryB
CoryB New Reader
5/28/08 9:21 a.m.

There's also the new Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec that's been getting good reviews. But the only 15" available is a 195/55-15.

Also, as of today vulcantire.com shows the Azenis RT-615 in your size for $73 each.

No affiliation, just a past customer.

GlennS
GlennS Reader
5/28/08 9:42 a.m.

wait for the next hot deal. Your on a budget. Buy low, sell spares high.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
5/28/08 10:13 a.m.

First off: you raised a shit load of money on E-bay. Damn.

Second: sorry about your situation. I know how that feels. I've done the same thing several times before.

Third: you raised a shit load of money on E-bay. I can't reiterate that enough.

Go put a stripper through college with the money you raised.

P71
5/28/08 10:24 a.m.

I know I don't really have a "right" to be pissed, but if I had known a solid "expiration date" was on either deal I would have went ahead and bought the wheels and then put the money back after selling stuff. Is it so much to ask that a "Offer only good until May 31st!!!" be on the ad?

And yes, I did raise a E36 M3 load of cash on eBay and craigslist, that's how I budget my racing. It has to come out of other car/hobby funds. So yes, sometimes it takes awhile to raise the cash for big purchases.

It just really sucks to watch what you're striving for go from a good price, to an OK price, to full price, to discontinued. :omg:

And on the RT615 comment, it's the best tire in my size (205/50/15) and price range. If you another suggestion, I'm all ears.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
5/28/08 10:28 a.m.

I love my RT615s. And you have every right to be pissed. You were one step behind DTD every step of the way. That's never fun.

Does somebody remember the name and brand of the tire that just came out this year as a direct competitor to the Azenis RT-615? Hankook, maybe? I'll find out in a few minutes. It's the same price and has very similar performance characteristics from what I've heard. My friend's dad has them on his Subaru wagon. I'll find out from him what they are.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
5/28/08 10:37 a.m.
P71 wrote: I know I don't really have a "right" to be pissed, but if I had known a solid "expiration date" was on either deal I would have went ahead and bought the wheels and then put the money back after selling stuff. Is it so much to ask that a "Offer only good until May 31st!!!" be on the ad? And yes, I did raise a E36 M3 load of cash on eBay and craigslist, that's how I budget my racing. It has to come out of other car/hobby funds. So yes, sometimes it takes awhile to raise the cash for big purchases. It just really sucks to watch what you're striving for go from a good price, to an OK price, to full price, to discontinued. :omg: And on the RT615 comment, it's the best tire in my size (205/50/15) and price range. If you another suggestion, I'm all ears.

As a good alternative, i would suggest the Ventus RS2 Z212s. Very SLIGHTLY more expensive, but great tire.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
5/28/08 10:39 a.m.
confuZion3 wrote: I love my RT615s. And you have every right to be pissed. You were one step behind DTD every step of the way. That's never fun. Does somebody remember the name and brand of the tire that just came out this year as a direct competitor to the Azenis RT-615? Hankook, maybe? I'll find out in a few minutes. It's the same price and has very similar performance characteristics from what I've heard. My friend's dad has them on his Subaru wagon. I'll find out from him what they are.

Yeah, it's the Hankook Ventus RS2 Z212s...

I run them, and i love them. I like them a bit more than the RT615s, they don't seem to get as squirrley as the RT615s do when hot, and they're actually OK in the rain.

I paid all of $1/tire more for them, though. :P

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
5/28/08 10:39 a.m.

Did you try calling them, by the way?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/28/08 10:59 a.m.
P71 wrote: And on the RT615 comment, it's the best tire in my size (205/50/15) and price range. If you another suggestion, I'm all ears.
  • Falken RT615 - 205/50/15 = $101 Each @ DTD
  • Bridgestone RE01R - 195/50/15 = $105 Each @ Edge Racing
  • Toyo R1R - 195/50/15 = $107 Each @ Good-Win

All roughly the same size and price. I'd get the Bridgestone.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
5/28/08 11:14 a.m.

Be careful when you're looking around. I think some of them include shipping in their quoted per-tire price while others tack it on at the end. While it may look like you're paying a bit more for each tire, you may end up paying less in total once shipping is calculated for the other guys.

It's always close from what I've seen though.

P71
5/28/08 2:26 p.m.

confuZion3, No I didn't call them. Maybe I should?

Dave, Have to add $60 to mount the stupid tires to the new wheels, so I might as well get both from the same place so I can save some $$$.

Here's what DTD offers in 205/50/15 (this week): BFG g-force Super Sport A/S - $97 each Yoko S.Drives - $94 each BFG g-force Sport - $93 each Kuhmo Ecsta MX - $91 each Nitto NT NeoGen - $81 each Dunlop Direzza DZ101 - $72 each Hankook Ventus HRII's - $63 each

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/28/08 2:37 p.m.

What Wheels?

You might call DTD - They don't show the RE01R on their site, but they are a Bridgestone dealer, so they should have it.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/28/08 3:52 p.m.

This is karma for not spreading the news on GRM that we could get a set of 15" RT615s on wheels, mounted/balanced/delivered for under $600. Shame on you. I'm with ww on this one, wait until you have the dough, then shop. Smokin' deals are a combination of timing and having the dough to spend when the timing is right, a tiny buffer makes for much better success at getting deals while the going is good.

Bryce

P71
5/28/08 4:02 p.m.

I had spent all my dealing money already :twisted::grin:

I did tell GRM, in at least 3 threads.

The wheels are Konig B-Bombs in Gold. 15x7.5 +0. I don't really care on the tires as long as they are good at autocrossing and HDPE's and cheaper then $100/each in the 205/50/15 size. I need to find another deal before I blow the cash on the cop car!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UdOwZtSAdNfzdQbMbu7QrCb2RBODf1Ta2CauwvkShRUrQAvvPsTdcZx0Ug3thMWQ