J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/11/23 8:56 a.m.

A desert shrub. Used plastic shopping bags. Do these sound like sources of materials for race tires? Well, they're going into some of the race tires Firestone supplies for IndyCar. Here’s why.

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/11/23 9:37 a.m.

As long as it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, you can make my tires out of anything, really.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
8/11/23 10:25 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

As long as it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, you can make my tires out of anything, really.

Correct. I'd be interested to see the numbers of what percentage of guayule and "recycled" shopping bags are actually used in the composition of the sidewalls. Tires have hardly been a sustainable or recyclable item on vehicles. Typically finding their way into crash barriers, mulch (previous owner of my home had this stuff everywhere and it's the worst), and football fields.  

I know that the Brooks group developed a solution to recycle tire rubber by breaking the sulfur-to-sulfur bonds and recovering some of the organics to be used in new materials. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/11/23 12:14 p.m.

Let me see if I can find you an answer about how much of these materials make up the tires. That's a good question.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/11/23 1:21 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Strictly speaking, I don't know if JG would feel the same way.

ThumperUSMC
ThumperUSMC New Reader
8/12/23 10:08 a.m.

If they can come up with a recyclable tire that actually works like the tires I currently use for Road Track racing and can perform adequately, no, not adequately, but better while lasting long enough to finish without worrying about a "blowout", I would definitely give them a try. I say try, because even in this day and age, with all the info supplied by the manufacturers backed up by computers, they would have to be tried by me to be proven to me that they actually do work. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/23 10:21 a.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

What's wrong with tire mulch? I've been thinking about getting it here because I'm sick of the red dyed wood mulch all over the property and I can't afford the concrete to replace it properly. 

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
8/12/23 12:02 p.m.

One advantage of tire mulch unlike traditional wood based mulch it does not attract termites. A big deal when used next to structures here in the south.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
8/12/23 12:30 p.m.

Harvey Firestone was looking for the next "rubber" producing plant even while investing in the rubber plantations in South America; he bought the land in Arizona and Texas (where the Bridgestone proving grounds are) long ago hoping to use a certain cacti that grew there for them but those developments never happened. I'm cool with anything in my tires that keeps them round and stuck to the ground.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
8/14/23 1:28 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

What's wrong with tire mulch? I've been thinking about getting it here because I'm sick of the red dyed wood mulch all over the property and I can't afford the concrete to replace it properly. 

What madmrak351 said is true. It also doesn't float away like regular mulch during torrential downpours.

The problem I have with it is that it seems to stick to everything and get everywhere and it's really just me being nitpicky. From the dog, to my shoes, and.....tires. Previous homeowner put a ton of it down along with some concrete tire paths into the backyard for boat trailer storage. I put my jetski in the same spot but anytime I backed the truck up there it brought out heaps of that stuff and it got everywhere and I was constantly cleaning it up inside and outside of the house. 

I recycled the stuff to the backyard where there is less foot and vehicle traffic and have since paved over where it used to be.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/23 2:04 p.m.
Jerry From LA said:
Colin Wood said:

Strictly speaking, I don't know if JG would feel the same way.

JG already has ducks in his tires.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/15/23 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

That is true. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qdf6bdDIYRgx3VxEzUMWjAKiseLBsALCR3xaiBG8SB2f6Zj97yBrfm1LKKBIFWKN