1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/13 4:20 p.m.

I've driven a lot of the 05+ Mustang including the 4.6L 3V, the 4.0 V6, the 3.7V6, and the 5.0. The 3.7 is a better car than the 4.6, hands down. It's a better engine with better flexibility, a better transmission, and a nearly identical powerband. It even sounds nice. The 3.7 is also lighter, and more importantly, lighter at the nose (shorter). This shifts the Mustang's CG noticeably. The 3.7 would likely be a better AX car, all others being equal (rear gear ratio, wheels/tires, suspension, etc). If I had the simoleans to buy new, I'd get a V6 Performance Pack Mustang without the Recaros for $24,990. The 5.0 Track Pack is nearly $10K more at $34,190!

We have a local AX'er that runs a 4.0/5-Speed Mustang Pony (GT suspension) that has been slowly adding Terlingua, Ford Racing, etc parts to it. He's faster than the modded 4.6 GT's that show up due to the overall weight, balance, and CG. So yeah, I'd take a 4.0 over a 4.6 as well.

<<< Is a typical Mustang buyer and would buy a used Boss 302 but since he's broke he won't.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/25/13 5:22 p.m.

I hadn't driven a Mustang of any cloth for several years, until I rented a V6 the other day....

Wow! Not that it's incredibly quick (It isn't). Just that it's a pretty damn good all-around car. I even stuck a grown-up in the back seat from NYC to Phily with little complaint. After years of looking down on 'stangs I had to admit that I'd enjoy having one of those puppies in my garage. That said, it'd be hard to say no if I could get the 5.0 upgrade for another 15 percent or so, and everything that's said about resale is probably true.

erm87
erm87 New Reader
6/25/13 8:46 p.m.

I've had a '13 V6 for a year now. I've got the performance pack. I'm no auto expert, but for a DD I love the thing. Just drove 7 hours from SC to MD and man what a great comfortable ride. Stick it in 6th with cruise control and I was picking up 30-31mpg.

No, it's not the V8, but I couldn't afford the V8. That's why there's a V6. I didn't go to the dealer planning on a GT and get the V6 instead, I knew that I was getting a V6.

I've done several Auto-X and a 2-day HPDE and had a blast and the general opinion of most folks is that the 3.7 V6 is a pretty impressive car.

Hitting the go pedal is fun, but even with the 3.31 gears it's not incredible quick and acceleration doesn't kick in until 3k RPMs. 3rd gear is fun though.

BUT...it's still not a V8. I still lust after a GT, but if I had a GT I'd lust after a 302 or a GT500 etc.

BUT...the engine is limited to 115-118 due to the drive shaft. If you care about speed, look elsewhere. You can always buy a new drive shaft though. Americanmuscle.com is your friend.

In conclusion, it's a great daily driver that you can have some affordable fun in, but you'll still find yourself sneaking peeks of GTs when their owners aren't looking.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
6/26/13 12:39 a.m.
kreb wrote: I hadn't driven a Mustang of any cloth for several years, until I rented a V6 the other day.... Wow! Not that it's incredibly quick (It isn't). Just that it's a pretty damn good all-around car. I even stuck a grown-up in the back seat from NYC to Phily with little complaint. After years of looking down on 'stangs I had to admit that I'd enjoy having one of those puppies in my garage. That said, it'd be hard to say no if I could get the 5.0 upgrade for another 15 percent or so, and everything that's said about resale is probably true.

The resale is good enough I felt bad for the dealer I traded it in to.

I paid $30,400 for a Base GT with the Track Pack. I owned it for 7 months and 7000 miles and traded it in for $28,800.

Less than $300 a month to own my "dream car" growing up? I'll take it.

I just wish I made enough to have justified keeping it as a Dual-Duty or TT car.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
6/26/13 1:30 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
kreb wrote: I hadn't driven a Mustang of any cloth for several years, until I rented a V6 the other day.... Wow! Not that it's incredibly quick (It isn't). Just that it's a pretty damn good all-around car. I even stuck a grown-up in the back seat from NYC to Phily with little complaint. After years of looking down on 'stangs I had to admit that I'd enjoy having one of those puppies in my garage. That said, it'd be hard to say no if I could get the 5.0 upgrade for another 15 percent or so, and everything that's said about resale is probably true.
The resale is good enough I felt bad for the dealer I traded it in to. I paid $30,400 for a Base GT with the Track Pack. I owned it for 7 months and 7000 miles and traded it in for $28,800. Less than $300 a month to own my "dream car" growing up? I'll take it. I just wish I made enough to have justified keeping it as a Dual-Duty or TT car.

wow that is cheap.

Is that the package with brembo brakes and the 3.70 diff?

I want to trade my WRX in for that now.... must resist.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
6/26/13 9:48 a.m.

Yes, the track pack gets the 3.73 Torsen with finned diff cover from the BOSS 302, also gets the BOSS radiator/oil cooler combo (but for serious track work many suggest a separate oil cooler), everything from the Brembo package (255/40/19 Pirelli PZero, 14" Brembo's, but the BOSS pads instead of the normal Brembo pads), slightly stiffer suspension........again serious track work will need much stiffer rates, but it's comfy on the highway.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
6/26/13 12:37 p.m.

Tiff's parents just got a V6 Mustang a few months ago. Honestly it is not a bad little car. For a daily driver it has plenty of power to be fun when you want it. However as others have mentioned you will always be saying "I could have had a V8"

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
6/26/13 2:52 p.m.

I guess i am the only one that NEVER thinks 'i could have had a v8'. Maybe it's because a 5.0 coyote mustang doesnt feel even remotely as torquey as the E36 M3box car i built for $2009 that had an engine literally half the size.

Id rather have a turbo v6 mustang than a v8 mustang unless my power goals were over about 750hp in which case financially it probably makes sense to start with the v8. But i've already said i dont care enough about power to do that.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
6/26/13 3:19 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I guess i am the only one that NEVER thinks 'i could have had a v8'. Maybe it's because a 5.0 coyote mustang doesnt feel even remotely as torquey as the E36 M3box car i built for $2009 that had an engine literally half the size. Id rather have a turbo v6 mustang than a v8 mustang unless my power goals were over about 750hp in which case financially it probably makes sense to start with the v8. But i've already said i dont care enough about power to do that.

Yes, I don't think your opinion is widely held regarding the lack of torques.

Yes the peak is higher, but I never had a problem putting around in 5-6th gear and being able to pass people or move the car around.

A turbo "feels" more exciting because of the way it builds boost.

The Coyote just pulls clean, smooth and progressively more intense from 2k to 7k.

And it sounds glorious.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
6/26/13 5:24 p.m.
Yes, I don't think your opinion is widely held regarding the lack of torques.

That is true, but turbo mopars have spoiled me with torque-to-weight ratios that are generally only bested by BOOSTED v8s. That ratio is where the 'feeling' of acceleration comes from. A 1000lb ft diesel 3/4 ton pickup actually still doesnt beat the torque to weight ratio of my Aries. At least it comes close. Ive said before that 5.0 mustangs are 'deceptively fast', so it's not like i think they're slow. They just dont rank high on the 'v8 torque' feeling when you're loafing around at 'normal' rpms. Which is why i think people here want when they say 'i couldve got a v8'. I think if that's the priority, those people should be looking at the other musclecars with the torquier v8s.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eoifAOAsp646VI5S6lVNlbipXFoNp2CAyQH3UBERgp81WZygNPjHr1BpfLjM46ZU