infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
11/18/23 4:50 p.m.

We're in the market for a new used car, and we both have our eyes on some local Macans. I've read they're a little smaller on the inside than they look but are fun to drive, especially the S model. I'm familiar with the p car tax, having owned an old 911 in the past. Are there any known weak points on the Macans? If I find one with 70k miles should I run away screaming?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/18/23 4:56 p.m.

The back seat is tiny. I wanted one until I went test drive it and figured my kids wouldn't fit in the back seats. 

That's all I have. 

Hoppps
Hoppps New Reader
11/18/23 4:57 p.m.

We just test drove one a few weeks ago, and you are spot on. Small interior but drive great and have plenty of power. Sales guy was about my height, 5ft9 and his knees were in the dashboard when I sat behind him. Also look at how little the rear door opens. It would be a problem for our older dog getting in.

Major problems are the timing cover bolts breaking resulting in an oil leak. Also take special care of the transmission with fluid changes every 40k. Think that's the main ones.

If you can live with the small interior and trunk space I think they would be great, we passed on it because of that...and also my wife likes curbs and the Tucson has a blind spot camera to prevent hitting them!

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/23 5:07 p.m.

A friend of ours has an S.  He tows his Miata and gear to the track with it. No kids though so not sure about back seat use for him.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
11/18/23 5:11 p.m.

Fortunately we have a two year old so space isnt a huge concern. The googles tells me that they're overall really reliable, just watch out for timinf cover leaks because of crappy aluminum bolts, and sometimes differential leaks. Obviously a PPO would be in order. ​​

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/23 5:15 p.m.

I'd love one if it did not conflict with a similar car I own.

For us a Macan would be the perfect doggo vehicle. Badge tax, but still a cool car. We just have a cool dog car already. Maybe when the Golf dies I'll get a GTS.

I kind of want to get rid of my Tacoma for an overlander Cayenne though.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/18/23 5:37 p.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

Two year old...that means you are in the rear facing car seat phase. It's the worst phase resulting in a car seat that takes up maximum space.  My concern is a Macan will be limited for a seat like this.  But, in about two years you'll be back to forward facing and a kid who can buckle themselves.  That's when smaller back seats become an option again.  

There is a triple black Macan GTS that I pass on my work travels.  Giant wheels with giant red calipers.  I'm sure its a $100k car but it looks rather stunning.  

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
11/18/23 6:19 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yeah that's a solid point. A Cayenne is also an option. I know they have a lot more room. Porsche also made a ton of them so you can get a used one that's a handful of years old for very low prices. Honestly that might be a better decision. The Macans really seem to hold their value. 

toconn
toconn New Reader
11/18/23 7:22 p.m.

I just recently turo'd a Macan S. Like others said they're not that big if you need space. Barely larger than a Golf. I'm in the market for a fun daily that can fit a mountain bike and skis in the back and the Macan just barely checked the box on the mountain bike test.

I really enjoyed driving it though. It's not going to fool you into thinking you're driving a miata, but it really does handle spectacularly well for a small SUV. Feedback is decent, not exactly telepathic but much better than most modern cars. It rides really well, corners pretty flat, and despite being able to feel the weight it does transition pretty well. It definitely makes you forget that you're driving a small SUV. The transmission is super responsive and makes the car a ton of fun to drive too. I haven't driven an SQ5 but I have driven a Q5 and the Porsche is in a different league. Tech and interior seems better on the Audi platform cars though.

Reliability wise it seems like the timing cover bolt job is inevitable on the 3.0 motors. Sounds like it used to be pretty expensive when they pulled the front end to do it, but most shops now have adopted a less invasive method that isn't as costly. Transfer cases are also a known problem, Porsche extended the warranty but it's running out on some of the older cars now. The flappy paddle gearbox isn't a true ZF PDK unit, it's a re-mapped VW DL501 (the Audi DSG). Not a bad tranny by any means but not as reliable or "good" as the ZF ones.

Options wise: The sport PLUS button really sharpens up the transmission and is a worthwhile option. If I buy one I'm going to make it a point to find one that has a sport plus button and ventillated seats. GTS models seem to be pulling a premium, the sweet spot might be an S with the sport chrono package. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
11/19/23 7:26 a.m.

In reply to toconn :

Thanks for chiming in! I actually found your thread and read it. There was a lot of good information. 

We're going to be moving to a new state in a few months so I think we'll benefit from the extra room if the cayenne 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/23 9:39 a.m.

You have been dreaming of Porsche ownership for years...

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
11/19/23 1:21 p.m.

You can fit more stuff in a Golf, because it's shape is more square.  The Macan is really tiny and the cargo hatch space is compromised by the way the hatch slopes down.  They drive well, steering feel is fairly numb, but I think they're the best of the CUV's out there. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
11/19/23 2:14 p.m.

We replaced my wife's Cayenne V8 with a Macan GTS...other than seat room, the Macan is a way better vehicle.  The dealer kept giving us those for loaners when the Cayenne was in for service and I fell in love with the handling.  The Cayenne was a pig by comparison.

Have towed a 21' ski boat and also the race car rig with it a couple of times with no effort.  The self-leveling air suspension is pretty trick.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
11/29/23 3:10 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

You have been dreaming of Porsche ownership for years...

And that dream finally came true! I forgot to update this thread, but we picked up a Cayenne GTS about a week ago. Other than the gas mileage, it's a wonderful vehicle.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/29/23 7:16 p.m.

My dad has a 2020 Macan and I've spent some time with it. I feel like a 5-door Golf is about the same size inside and offers about the same level of practicality. The rear seats and cargo area are pretty small for an SUV. I also find the infotainment, dash, and center console very fussy.

On the plus side, it is surprisingly fun to drive. Good suspension that does well over rough roads. Excellent brakes (as you'd expect for a modern Porsche). I can't think of another SUV that handles better. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fdXpfg8ZTLX58PRYqqOSiOa4jlNZhsiQTE2cm2JIGE2XlZ5iu0HhUid6H4EeNN4h