1 2
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/29/16 10:37 a.m.
kb58
kb58 Dork
12/29/16 10:52 a.m.

"... rare opportunity..." Some odd diseases are known similarly.

"A car under construction... are included." One would infer so.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/29/16 10:52 a.m.

Based on the Pontiac Fiero chassis, which still passes today's EPA crash tests (without air bags). Built on a chassis that, to date, is the safest ever built by GM, the car mostly mimics the 512bb Koenig Special. This car looks fast and is fast, and is among the safest cars on the road.

passes the EPA crash tests....

Faster than an Enzo too.....

MattW
MattW New Reader
12/29/16 10:58 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Based on the Pontiac Fiero chassis, which still passes today's EPA crash tests (without air bags). Built on a chassis that, to date, is the safest ever built by GM, the car mostly mimics the 512bb Koenig Special. This car looks fast and is fast, and is among the safest cars on the road. passes the EPA crash tests.... Faster than an Enzo too.....

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/29/16 10:59 a.m.

Looks like a fiero with a pepboys catalog thrown at it.

kb58
kb58 Dork
12/29/16 11:03 a.m.

If you put a big enough engine on a brick it'll be really fast. A car is more than just outright power - and has nothing to do with the chassis and suspension design. Have a less-than-awesome car? Play up how fast it is, several times, repeatedly, over and over...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/29/16 11:07 a.m.

The body kit pretty much has nothing to do with how fast it is. That does seem like a strange feature to accentuate in the case of selling the appearance package.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/29/16 11:16 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Looks like a fiero with a pepboys catalog thrown at it.

To be fair, so does the Koenig 512bb it's replicating...

Had they stretched the Fiero wheelbase before making the kit it would have looked a lot better and been able to take a longitudinal V8 in the rear. So many of the lambo replicas on Fieros do that and it makes the proportions much more similar to the real thing.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/29/16 11:17 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: The body kit pretty much has nothing to do with how fast it is. That does seem like a strange feature to accentuate in the case of selling the appearance package.

They are selling the entire company, which is about modded Fieros, so talking about how fast it could easily be is part of the "appeal."

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/29/16 11:29 a.m.

Now, if they made a Lancia Stratos kit that looked right...

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/29/16 11:34 a.m.
RossD wrote: Now, if they made a Lancia Stratos kit that looked right...

That I would like

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/16 11:43 a.m.

It's no Remington Microscreen

NickD
NickD SuperDork
12/29/16 12:20 p.m.

I like Fieros. I do not like Fiero kit cars.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/29/16 1:23 p.m.
kb58 wrote: If you put a big enough engine on a brick it'll be really fast. A car is more than just outright power - and has nothing to do with the chassis and suspension design. Have a less-than-awesome car? Play up how fast it is, several times, repeatedly, over and over...

That's the design theory behind McDonnell's F-4 Phantom.

I would drive that car. Yes.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/29/16 1:42 p.m.

Who doesn't love Fiero kit cars?

Paging JG, paging JG.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/16 2:02 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Who doesn't love Fiero kit cars? Paging JG, paging JG.

They do say they are the "Crocs" of the car world....

j/k we love our crazy Mr. Pasterjak.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/29/16 2:06 p.m.
RossD wrote: Now, if they made a Lancia Stratos kit that looked right...

Hawk cars

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/29/16 2:12 p.m.

Fiero Miura

Wheels suck but it looks pretty good overall. I'd take one:

Probably a LOT nicer to daily drive than an original, less delicate, and likely just as fast.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
12/29/16 2:28 p.m.

can't poop on the quality when you have panel gaps that are less than 2"

but I have never seen a fiero do a wheelie -

looks like he may have been able to squeeze in a larger rear tire if he wanted

tdisalvo
tdisalvo New Reader
12/29/16 7:45 p.m.

Strange coincidence. Back in high-school I dated a woman who also did some modeling on the side. And my best friend's father was a semi-professional photographer who was looking for commercial clients. He had done some shoots with my girlfriend, and the two of them made a deal with the then-owner of Aldino to shoot some promo images for kit-cars. I went along to see the action. This was probably the spring or fall of 1991 or 1992.

We met on the campus of Mount Mary College (now Mount Mary University) located on the far west side of Milwaukee, near the Menomonee River. They then set up the car and shot a few different series of images, poses, etc. I'll admit that the 16- or 17-year-old me thought the car looked great. Deep red paint, wide rear wheels, definite sporty look to it. But I also knew that it was only as good as its undepinnings, and even the '88 GT wasn't exactly a rocketship without a V8 transplant.

Anyway, they shot photos for a couple of hours and then we were all on our way. After digging online I've found two images from that day: this one and this one too. Missing are photos of her in heels, killer black miniskirt and silk blouse. Those would sell the car!

I do recall calling the car a 'kit car', to which the owner bristled. "It's not a kit-car, it's a replica." Right away I knew the guy was an arsepipe. Fun memories. And that's all I got. $75k is a bit steep for some 30-year-old fiberglass molds and a dying business model.

kb58
kb58 Dork
12/29/16 11:43 p.m.

Agreed. Kinda like signing up for making MG replicas using VW pans...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
12/30/16 7:33 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: Fiero Miura Wheels suck but it looks pretty good overall. I'd take one: Probably a LOT nicer to daily drive than an original, less delicate, and likely just as fast.

Now that is a very impressive Fiero kit car. I wonder if it has the same front end lift issue at triple digit speeds that the originals did?

And I see he's using LS1 power. That might be a great car to use in a "Kit cars vs real exotics" track showdown if someone tried one.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/30/16 8:35 a.m.

Here it is with what I think are better looking wheels. In the build thread they said that it has a real Miura windshield, I wonder if that cost more than the Fiero.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/30/16 9:22 a.m.

That Miura had me excited until I read the thread and saw it wasn't a Fiero kit, but really just a body he modified a Fiero chassis to fit under. Still looks very well done.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/30/16 9:31 a.m.

Ah kit cars, inspiring would-be Henry Fords since... well, since Henry Ford. I once had a line on a well-constructed molds/jig combo for a Porsche Spyder until I found that the owner owed money to the fabricators in Mexico who actually built the things. "So, I pay you 15 grand for the rights to go to Mexico and try to get the molds from a pissed-off vendor? Sure, what could go wrong with that?" Here's another product of the kit car field of dreams (and tears): "race-car inspired"

What kills be is that back in the 90s he was able to get custom DOT-compliant windshields made up for $750 or so each. Now that's more along the line of 5 grand each.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tzaaNo1g5ZNQEWqwPCbuNHDk9Ik28VnYU6w61Wnh9una9TfszwJaIeZ4MicLev8N