1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/7/13 9:17 a.m.

Sounds like a small truck with a cap on the back for Fido.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
2/7/13 9:19 a.m.
bgkast wrote: Vibe/matrix meets all criteria except they are only rated to tow 1500 lbs

I would not try to tow 1500 lbs with a Vibe/Matrix. Those things are gutless.

For what you want, you choices really are limited to Saab 9-5, Volvo S60/V70 or Subaru Legacy/Forester.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/7/13 9:47 a.m.
fanfoy wrote: For what you want, you choices really are limited to Saab 9-5, Volvo S60/V70 or Subaru Legacy/Forester.

That is what I am finding out.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/7/13 9:48 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Sounds like a small truck with a cap on the back for Fido.

Are the Colorados any good to drive? Most trucks I have driven kinda suck.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
2/7/13 10:54 a.m.

Depends on the roads where you live. If they are smooth as silk, then yes.

If they are crappy, like the ones we have around here, then no. Constantly making correction in a straight line because the back axle keeps jumping side to side over bumps gets annoying pretty fast.

You can't forget the low first gear (if you drive in the city) and numb steering.

That's based on my past experience with a ranger (4.0, 4x4, 5spd) and an S-10 (2wd, 4.3, auto). YMMV.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
2/7/13 1:04 p.m.

If you can find a nice Volvo 240 in your area, I'd add that to the list as well. It's well outside your year range but the 240 certainly puts a bullet in all your other needs. Rated at 3300 lb tow capacity, 25mpg, manual trans, lots of room, comfy, uber-reliable, and fun to drive - believe it or not.

I think the trucks (Ranger, Colorado) would hit your tow rating a little better, but I find them tiresome to drive when you're used to cars.

The newer Saab and Volvo have good endurance, but can be "fiddly" to own, so it's important to get a good example.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8xh7fFwpcHRT80KHNQpJ3W4GKsV1DBmUCaaamt5XGpHm5uEhy776lVCKo010zMAV