1 2 3
Brokenbrakes
Brokenbrakes New Reader
1/2/13 3:42 p.m.

Hey I just wanted to remind us all... to double, even triple check your jackstands !!!!

Today I was about 1/16 away from death...

I am lucky I caught it in time...

So be safe and triple check!!!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/13 3:44 p.m.

A local wasn't as lucky as you yesterday. He was working on wooden blocks on what appears to be a snowy, sloped driveway. Sad story.

So yes, double-check them.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
1/2/13 3:54 p.m.

geeze almighty...

why does this keep happening.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
1/2/13 3:57 p.m.

In reply to CarKid1989:

Gravity never gives up. Seriously, at least put the wheels under the car when it is on jackstands.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/2/13 4:21 p.m.

Gravity's not only a good idea - IT'S THE LAW!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/2/13 5:18 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: Seriously, at least put the wheels under the car when it is on jackstands.

Yep, I call this the "horror reducer."

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/2/13 5:27 p.m.
Brokenbrakes wrote: Hey I just wanted to remind us all... to double, even triple check your jackstands !!!! Today I was about 1/16 away from death... I am lucky I caught it in time... So be safe and triple check!!!

What happened?

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
1/2/13 5:29 p.m.

Jack-stands and the jack tends to stay under the car.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/13 5:58 p.m.

A while back, I passed a Saturn with no wheels resting upon four crumbled cinder blocks.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/2/13 6:09 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Jack-stands and the jack tends to stay under the car.

I do this, always worthwhile for a little extra insurance, when possible I throw an extra set of stands under it. My life is worth the extra $50...

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/2/13 6:51 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Gravity's not only a good idea - IT'S THE LAW!

There is no gravity. The Earth sucks!

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
1/2/13 7:01 p.m.

I think of it less as gravity, more as my car's deep desire to see me dead.
Wheels under the car, jack left in place if possible.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
1/2/13 7:06 p.m.

Back when I was young and stupid just a cheap no-name auto store floor jack was all I had so it was all I used. Now that I'm a bit older and wiser I always double up on the jackstands (minimum of 4) AND throw the tires under the pinch rail as well. Ah, the ignorance of youth.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
1/2/13 7:10 p.m.

i always try to push the car off the stands before going under it... if it doesn't fall from 250 pounds of me trying to push it over, then it aint gonna fall.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
1/2/13 7:13 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Jack-stands and the jack tends to stay under the car.

This is what I do. I let the car down on the jackstand, then raise the jack back up just to the point where it is barely touching the car.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
1/2/13 7:14 p.m.

I put the car up on the four main stands, then stick another two under the front crossmember and maybe one under the diff as well. I don't care if it takes super-overkill......I'm not gonna freaking die by a car falling on me.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
1/2/13 7:58 p.m.

My friend had HF jack stands collapse. Fortunately, he wasn't under it at the time. The vehicle wasn't huge either.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
1/2/13 8:16 p.m.

I second putting the wheels underneath the vehicle for extra safety. It saved an acquaintance's life when one of his jackstands decided to call it quits. Luckily he came out only scratched up.

Jerry
Jerry New Reader
1/2/13 8:19 p.m.

I've only recently started this journey, with 4 HF jack stands and a hydraulic jack. I will now be putting two wheels underneath as well. Thanks.

Brokenbrakes
Brokenbrakes New Reader
1/2/13 8:36 p.m.

In reply so somebody...

I was just going to change the oil...

I jacked it up... chocked both rear tires pulled the e-brake, rolled it a bit... undid the rear brake to do it again...

And then I TOOK IT FOR GRANTED...

I was just working on the front middle motor mount on my neon (they are sealed in and it was rusted) and started to get out the breaker bar...

Then I thought...how is the car sitting?

Well it was 1/16 inch away from being off my jack stand!!!!

I walked around the block a couple times and thanked the "Great Tap Dancing Jesus" for my life!

I am so lucky...and will only do that once!!!

I hope you all stay safe!

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/2/13 8:46 p.m.

Thanks for the reminder. We don't want to end up like Ferris Bueller's friend! But seriously, I know someone who died when a forklift holding a speedboat suddenly let go pressure.... It's good to remind ourselves that things can go fatally wrong in a heartbeat. Better to take the extra step(s).

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
1/2/13 8:50 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: My friend had HF jack stands collapse. Fortunately, he wasn't under it at the time. The vehicle wasn't huge either.

Same thing happened to me, crushed the stands, car landed on the rotors. Freak accident, but i'm sure as hell glad i wasnt' under it.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/2/13 9:35 p.m.

Dad had his metal car ramp collapse during an oil change. He was not under it at the time so it was total luck.

'05 Forester is not that heavy.

I now drive up on two 8X2's when I change my oil.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/2/13 9:44 p.m.

My craftsman stands seem to be crush prone. I've blown out three of them. No issues yet with the HF heavy duty stands, but thats expected when i'm using less thab 1/3rd what theyre rated at.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/2/13 10:09 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: i always try to push the car off the stands before going under it... if it doesn't fall from 250 pounds of me trying to push it over, then it aint gonna fall.

You don't live in California, do you? :)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
awevVSYAtFTwpJkSkhJxaY8fNAXO8VNJEmhtvY4fTZjjdBiCNe6ZF1mnDXZ70vrq