1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/16 11:11 a.m.

I know that corner. It's at the base of The Gunks. It's marked as a 15 mph corner and it goes seriously off camber when you get to the (absolutely necessary) drainage swale on the outside. There are often climbers on that rock face. It's not an especially soft wall.

wae
wae Dork
9/6/16 11:12 a.m.
OldGray320i wrote:
Nick (picaso) Comstock wrote: Holy bunch of air bags Batman
I can't remember the title of the movie, but there's one where Stallone is transported to the future. He's in a car crash, but comes out unharmed due to being encased by some form of "safety foam". All those air bags remind me of that scene...

Demolition Man.

I don't know what happened, all of a sudden the car turned into a cannoli!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/6/16 11:39 a.m.

Jalopnik put up a dupe video. Ol boy pinballs it rather nice.

bluej
bluej UltraDork
9/6/16 11:51 a.m.

Judge dredd?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/6/16 12:55 p.m.

Car doesn't look like it took too much damage. Amazing how safe things are now.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/16 1:10 p.m.

So is it me or did I actually read it this way after seeing the Video.

PLEASE NOTE - NYST (The NY ST Club) does not condone or approve of this reckless behavior on public roadways. Because it was caught on camera The offending person was immediately booted from our club. Because we consulted with our insurance carrier and we are trying to mitigate possible liability We practice safety on the road during our cruises, but we also like to drift our cars but not on camera and actions such as this will be dealt with ZERO TOLERANCE. unless there are no cameras around

Take it to the track, if you want to drive like this. or come to our club events but don't bring your cameras

kb58
kb58 Dork
9/6/16 1:12 p.m.

In reply to dean1484: Oh yeah, they're quick to toss the guy under the bus - rightfully so.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/6/16 1:27 p.m.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Something I first heard on this very forum (sorry I forget who gets the credit.)

NickD
NickD Dork
9/6/16 1:30 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Yeah. Because, as I said earlier, if you listen to the radio in the one segment, someone is telling all the cars to pull of and get out of the way so that the guy can test Drift Mode. So, they make provisions for some guy to do something they don't condone? Seems to me, if you didn't approve of such antics, when the guy requested to drift that turn, they would have said "No, not happening" instead of "Everyone pull over and get out of the way so he can try Drift Mode on this corner". If he hadn't have crashed or this hadn't have been uploaded and gone, would he still have gotten booted? Methinks not.

kb58
kb58 Dork
9/6/16 2:23 p.m.

In reply to NickD: Oh come on, people are all about demanding free rights but not accepting responsibility for the consequences.

johndej
johndej Reader
9/6/16 2:26 p.m.

can we combine these threads? https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/focus-rs-drift-mode-fail/121619/page1/

NickD
NickD Dork
9/6/16 2:38 p.m.

In reply to kb58:

I'm more calling out the club for their hypocritical "Zero tolerance" stance, than the guy who pranged his $45K car.

lnlds
lnlds Reader
9/6/16 3:01 p.m.

There are often bikers and hikers walking along the side of that road. He's very lucky he didn't kill anyone.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
9/6/16 3:18 p.m.

What is it that 'drift mode' is actually supposed to do?

NickD
NickD Dork
9/6/16 3:20 p.m.
T.J. wrote: What is it that 'drift mode' is actually supposed to do?

DRIFT!

No, seriously, here is a bit better explanation.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
9/6/16 3:38 p.m.

In reply to NickD:

Thanks, that makes sense. So, that confirms that drift mode was not supposed to overcome physics, so it looks like the term 'drift mode fail' doesn't mean a failure of drift mode, but rather a failure by the driver to understand and apply the laws of physics.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Reader
9/6/16 4:18 p.m.

That's where I'd go to learn how to drift; the most unforgiving place, with the most unforgiving runoff, on a blind corner, with a bunch of people and cameras around. Seems legit.

A real man woulda backed that E36 M3 into the corner, anyway!

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
9/6/16 4:46 p.m.

That's a hard lesson to learn....hopefully he learns from it.

Not holding my breath though.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
9/6/16 5:07 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: That's a hard lesson to learn....hopefully he learns from it. Not holding my breath though.

Hellz no. He'll blame, and try to sue, Ford for failing to program the Drift Mode in such a way that would overcome his lack of understanding physics, lack of experirence with that corner, lack of experience with his new toy, and lack of formal performance driving training and skill.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
9/6/16 5:19 p.m.

If nothing else, I bet the sheriff's deputies will be camping out at that turn out a lot more often than usual for a while.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WMqJtgENQXyzYV1l9ZoVt5VBw66rcwDKxY6JI54HYBtmdCd336hyJRRNy6khXZ14