Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
10/13/13 11:58 p.m.

This.

What think the GRM cognoscenti? I had been looking at a Mercedes-Benz 300SE, but it's too nice to subject to daily slogging around town, Minnesota winters, and toddler hauling.

This is also nice, but not as precious as that Benz. It also has a proper gearbox, something I would have missed no matter how nice the Mercedes was.

I know E46 325i's are the bees knees, but there's something about clean, unmolested base-model cars that I find appealing. I've also spent most my life driving fast in underpowered cars, so the 4-cylinder doesn't put me off that much.

Am I nuts?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/14/13 12:15 a.m.

Looks like it's nice and clean. I'd be tempted.

Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
10/14/13 12:30 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Thanks. I thought the price seemed high, but looking at the dealership's archive of cars they've sold, hey have some really cooool* cars and must think clean, straight cars are worth more.

*Cool, as in a Euro-spec W126 280SEL with 5-speed manual!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/14/13 12:33 a.m.

Can't really comment on the price (no idea what cars go for up your way), but it didn't feel that it's too far out of line for a dealer.

Of course I tend to view the advertised price as a starting point for some serious haggling.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
10/14/13 1:43 a.m.
Strathclyde wrote: I had been looking at a Mercedes-Benz 300SE, but it's too nice to subject to daily slogging around town, Minnesota winters, and toddler hauling.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, all the ones sitting in the self service junkyard waiting to be crushed are nice too, its better for them to just get used. Its true that driving in salt probably wouldnt be so good though, they have enough rust proofing for california (better than mk1 vws, about half of italian cars, old mopars, etc), but I do see lots of pics of rusty ones from other states.

mw
mw Dork
10/14/13 8:39 a.m.

As a commuter appliance I really love my 99 318ti. It gets great mileage on regular swill. It's comfortable and quiet on the road. And lots if fun when it snows (assuming it has snow tires). Plus it looks pretty good for a 14 year old car. I think that one you're looking at looks great. I'm jealous of the heated seats. Mine is a base model so not heated seats.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OsettfhGHoZnSSjUr7aFcDasqyxsDWRnnxtOO0e6LiVrGUecEPCxJf4U2SUqoMnp