David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/18/24 8:23 a.m.
feature_image

The brakes just didn’t feel right.

Not a sinking pedal, the usual sign of a failing master cylinder, but something just seemed amiss with the brakes on our E46-chassis M3. The pedal felt soft but didn’t go all the way to the floor.

We figured we had two options: ignore it (hey, the car did stop) or investigate further. …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 180 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Read the rest of the story

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/18/24 9:47 a.m.

This might be a good reminder that this E46 M3 is 20 years old now. Still not old enough to legally drink - but it's getting there.

David S. Wallens
10/18/24 9:54 a.m.

This one turns 21 years old this month!

David S. Wallens
10/18/24 10:06 a.m.

I think the bigger lesson here: Sometimes I really wish we had a good, dedicated BMW shop here in the greater Daytona area.

But wait, you say, Daytona does have a BMW shop. I have driven past it. 

So far, two for two, they couldn’t help.

Rod bearings? Yeah, not interested in doing that job.

Reprograming the ABS/DSC unit? Yeah, we don’t have the computer for that. 

End result: I get to do the legwork while working remotely with BimmerWorld and Rennie at Redline Bimmers, two dedicated, helpful partners. When I have questions, they’re quick with an answer. A+ partners on every level. 

If only they were a bit closer to us as I came this close to driving to South Florida for the five minutes Rennie needed to reprogram the ABS/DSC unit. 

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/18/24 10:39 a.m.

For those sorts of prices/headaches, I'd just crack open the hydraulics. My guess would be a bad seal that jammed one of the solenoid valves.  Unless it's sealed in some special way (which I know the Germans love to do), seems like it'd be easy to find/replace.  

David S. Wallens
10/18/24 11:22 a.m.

Rennie said the device can’t be opened. Well, technically I guess you can open anything, but he meant in a non-destructive way. I thought about having the unit ultrasonically cleaned, but simply replacing it seemed like the quickest option once logistics were thought through. 

rb92673
rb92673 New Reader
10/18/24 12:12 p.m.

If that is a M3 MK60 ABS, it is in high demand.  It has become a popular swap for track cars.  It can function standalone and some the M3 units can be flashed with Motorsports software.  Your old control unit might still have some value.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EqUJgMpOjRZKuMp24mJZtZceBrLIquBn4v2YIJDKNx7XHm9ykBqALvhHFhFg1X89