vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/28/23 10:44 p.m.

Anyone use their rust converter paint designed for inside chassis rails and such? Comes with a long tube and a 360* spray nozzle. Was thinking of using it on the new Astro I got.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/29/23 8:33 a.m.

Interested. I'm trying to keep the rust at bay in the Expedition's rocker panels.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/29/23 8:43 a.m.

I've used it, but don't have a lot of data to share.  After I cut the rust out of the Miata, I used a combination of compressed air and a shop-vac to get the loose bits out of the inner structure in the rockers.  I was going from the rear towards the front, under the door on each side.  Once I had that cleaned out, I used the Eastwood stuff to coat the inside where there was some surface rust happening, but it was still solid as far as I could tell.  It was pretty easy to get a good coat by just pressing the button and pulling the little sprayball-on-a-hose back towards me.  I have no long-term data on that, though, because even though it's been a year or so, I still haven't finished welding up the patch panels so the car hasn't been driven.  It did sit outside for a while, though, and I didn't see any signs of rust re-forming.

A friend of mine had a PT Cruiser that was rusting the rockers out really badly.  It wasn't worth repairing, but she wanted to try to mitigate it so it would last until her Bronco finally arrived.  The outer portion of the rocker had pretty much rusted away while the structural bits on the inside were still mostly there, so I blew out the chunks real fast and then sprayed what I had left of the inner frame rail stuff in to the cavity.  That seemed to keep things in stasis for the additional year it took for the Bronco to finally show up at the dealer for her.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
6/29/23 8:48 a.m.

I used it a few years back on my XJ. Application was easy although you might as well finish off the can because it all dries up in the applicator tube.

Appears to have worked fine? The jeep is still rusting, but not from the rockers where I filled it up with the converter paint.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/29/23 10:14 a.m.

I used it too on the Rice Rod. Application was easy, but you have to use it all in one sitting because the applicator tube will clog up. I think I used two cans for the whole frame.

I also don't have data on how well it actually performs against, since it's a garage queen. But it looks good.

6/29/23 10:32 a.m.

I've been using a similar approach with Fluid Film, but applying it once a year. This seems to be more of a permanent thing, like POR-15 or Rust Bullet. Interesting....

wae
wae PowerDork
6/29/23 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

My understanding was always that fluid film was more for things that haven't started to rust yet.  Will regular FF applications keep already-rusting things in stasis?

6/29/23 11:02 a.m.
wae said:

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

My understanding was always that fluid film was more for things that haven't started to rust yet.  Will regular FF applications keep already-rusting things in stasis?

I don't think it will. You're right, it's more of a preventative.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/29/23 4:10 p.m.

Thanks for the input. Think I'll give it a try on the new to me Astro.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PVuadyfSU4Xt0RktkqLKwTbdR4yraSOpr04BqMUHhXBgo2HnjPFDLsRyKA9Ed7UB