grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
1/30/09 12:07 a.m.

While wandering thru my buddy's barn a couple weeks ago, I ran across a set of 13x7 Mini-Lite type 8-spoke rims. Nice condition, other than the fact that they've been sitting for awhile.

Apparently, they came off of his long-ago departed 1st-gen rx7, so I'm assuming they have a 4x110 bolt pattern. Then he told me that they were Empi's, not Mini-Light or Panasports.

I know that Empi makes alot of air-cooled VW stuff, and there are a few old v-dubs in the barn, so this is where I'm getting confused. I've searched a bit, and can't find anything about Empi wheels being made for anything other than v-dubs.

So, did the later Beetles and such run the same bolt pattern as an fb, or is my friend confused on which of his cars these wheels came from?

Any help would be appreciated, since he's donating them to my "Asthmatic 1.6 Miata Needs Boost" fund.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/30/09 6:40 a.m.
  1. I have no idea.
  2. I have a buddy at work who is restoring a '72 bug with his son and they are looking for cheap / cool wheels. If they don't work for you he might be interested.
16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
1/30/09 7:54 a.m.

I think your friend is mistaken. I've only seen 8 spoke Empi's in 4x130mm and 15". I could be wrong, though.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/30/09 9:16 a.m.

AFAIK, EMPI pretty much specialized in aircooled 'Dubs. I've seen the same ones 16vCorey mentioned but that's all.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
1/30/09 11:48 a.m.

I've had a few sets in various bolt patterns... not sure of the specific era (mostly 80's BBS looking rims). They seemed to make a wider selection of 13" diameter rims than many other makers..

Bill

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/09 12:39 p.m.

Enkei?

http://www.enkei.com/

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
1/31/09 5:00 p.m.

Thanx for the pic, Datsun. Those are the wheels I'm talking about but haven't gotten back out there to get a shot of them.

Since he's donating the rims to me to sell to fund my turbo, I want to get as much "correct" information on them as I can before I list them. If they had a 4x100, they'd be on my Miata!!!

But knowing that Empi did make a few other options helps... Thanx guys.

Now I just need to get back out there and verify the bolt spacing and offset to determine for sure which of his cars they came off of.

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
1/31/09 8:39 p.m.

Empi...let's turn the wayback machine to SoCal in the late 60's - early 70's;...wow, I haven't even thought about that name since I turned the pages of "Dune Buggies & Hot VW's" back in the day

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
1/31/09 8:43 p.m.

Those also look a lot like the American Racing Silverstone rims.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean New Reader
2/2/09 11:03 a.m.

Ill have to show this thread to Ratghia. He used to have a link to PDF files of old speed cataloges including Empi.

Sean

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
2/7/09 1:17 a.m.

Never mind... My buddy ran into the guy he bought the rx7 from... They're Panasports, not Empi's. Nice wheels, either way.

Anybody want 'em???

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/7/09 1:35 a.m.

What offset? Price?

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
2/7/09 2:48 a.m.
EvanB wrote: What offset? Price?

I'll be heading out there Saturday afternoon... I'll verify that the bolt pattern is 4x110, and get the offset for you.

I'm also taking my camera, so I can send you some pix if they'll work for you.

Honestly haven't thought about a price yet, since I've simply just been trying to decipher who made the damn things.

That being said, I don't see them being terribly expensive... They're just sitting there taking up space, and my bud kinda wants them gone. Neither of us owns a car that they will fit, so why keep them? I'll get back to you later this weekend with more info.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yxr070wceSmr3KY5X2duvuE1uIfkvqs3S15gfepHsVu0dYSf9jLv3qlK9PVQeJM1