1 2 3
Stanger2000
Stanger2000 New Reader
11/21/17 7:54 a.m.

Focus ZX3 w/ 5sp, reliable, fun and tons of suspension parts available or keep it simple and just get SVT springs/struts.

I'd say SN95 also, but 1500 gets you some pretty haggard examples at least where I live.  You might be able to score a '99-04 V6 (split port 190hp/220tq)/5 sp with some higher mileage.  I wouldn't bother with the '94-98 V6 (single port 140hp/215tq).  

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/21/17 9:46 a.m.

I just bought a 2001 e46 330Ci...$1100; I've got $800 in parts coming.

He wanted $2000 but couldn't get it to start without starter fluid...it was on an incline in his driveway with about a gallon of gas left. Worst part for me since I've not learned much paint work is that the clear coat is coming off on both bumpers and the hood.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/21/17 9:58 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

In reply to BlueInGreen44 :

I was unaware those were not just purchased for mpg and longevity. I didn’t  know they’d be called fun. Interesting.

They are pretty awful, but on par with other E36 M3ty FWD econoboxes mentioned in this thread (protege, ZX3, etc).  Intake, exhaust, H&R springs, and a 15x8/205 or 225 combo makes for something fun to toss around.

I would not put them in the same category as Miata or SN95.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/22/17 5:43 p.m.

FOAF is selling a first-year Integra GSR for under $2k.  It's only got a little of the Honda rust.  220k mi IIRC.  Atlanta area.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
11/23/17 12:33 a.m.
jj said:

I would only do SN95 if v8.  Actually, for some strange reason, SAAB turbos are weird enough to be fun even though they are FWD. 

Yup. Very easy to get 900 Turbos sideways. 

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
11/26/17 3:53 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :  nearly everyone suggests small and cheap.  

The approach I use is start out with something that fashion and status has left behind.  Chances are the mechanical bits are in really decent shape but the interior and paint are ratty.  

So go ahead and remove the ratty bits.  Buff the paint as nice as you can get it covering dents with decals stickers and wrap. 

Luxury is heavy as is sound deadening and mufflers. So remove them to lighten the car.  Spray bomb the interior and put a racing seat or two in. 

Older Jaguars and BMWs have 15 inch wheels with Corvette bolt pattern and they often get removed for bigger ( 18-20 inch) wheels leaving nice wide wheels available for cheap. 27X15 slicks are about $75 each as take offs. I’ve gotten two seasons out of them.  

A roll bar or cage doesn’t have to cost a lot. Especially if you can do your own welding.  You’re almost ready to go out on the track.  

Sure you can swap in a manual gearbox but even scroungers have a hard time keeping it under $500 cheaper is to buy a shift kit for the automatic. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8OCoyj2VXBgsmRewiAWekEkho3ZCpDJrcrnJglvC5LuQtAZg9RxBxSxX7oob2Lrp