1 2
corytate
corytate Reader
1/24/11 4:42 p.m.
FE3tMX5 wrote: I bought 87 2.3-16 six months ago for $3500 @ 108k miles and still love it. And yes I bought it instead of an e36. It's done 2500 trouble free miles and given me an education in mechanical fuel injection at no cost. That mostly because the recent refurb'd fuel distributor install before purchase was never tuned. Now that I've got the pressure straightened out it makes good power, it's fun to drive and I think I've raised my IQ a couple of points because I now understand the dogleg. The bottom end is nearly identical to the standard 2.3 - it's the head that is so special. But what I think is the biggest misconception on these cars is that they are expensive to own. They share a tremendous amount of parts with the standard 190e (I replaced all the rear multilinks with new bushings installed for $175). I found a used cylinder head for $250 delivered. A 100k mile longblock with perfect compression (canadian 185hp model) just sold for $1500 on a benz forum. A few months ago there was a rather rusty 2.3-16 that only needed the injection reinstalled to drive (it was going to get MS), otherwise in fine mechanical condition and the guy coudn't sell it for $2k. The reality is that demand is low for these cars and it keeps prices down. I think it's got a high cool-factor-to-dollar ratio. Plan is to go efi/edis with MS. Others see ~20whp gain over the mechanical injection and the install is reversible. Have all the parts, just need to get another project out of the way.

I think I'm in love
gotta agree with the cool factor to dollar ratio, really is one of the coolest cars you can own for the money

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
1/24/11 10:01 p.m.

Cossie 190 are pretty cool little cars. I'd love to find an Evo 2 with the obnoxious wing on it. The only problem with mercedes of that era is I'm a bit turned off by their electronics, but I don't know how complex they are.

190e are a dime a dozen at the junkyard and many cars are hitting the scrappers so parts shouldn't be hard to find. The cylinder head is the costly part but as said before but once you get into the mercedes community you can find the parts you need and info on installing them for "cheap." Everyone talks about how expensive mercedes parts are but parts for my toyota pickup is equal or more expensive. Another good thing with the mercedes parts is they are almost a victim of their own success. Low production models mean less parts are made, but there is less of a market for parts when people go to sell them meaning the buyer can dictate the conversation so to speak.

The aftermarket ignores mercedes so forget about that. There are a few outfits out there but you won't get BMW support.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
1/25/11 6:45 p.m.

Love these. Guy in college had one, was a super cool car, handled well and had decent (not great) power.

Collectible and prices are low. Can't believe that one in SF is only $3500! It's not stock though, as it has the euro front headlights and aftermarket wheels.

If my wife wouldn't kill me I'd buy it, visit my sister in SF at the same time and drive it home.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/25/11 8:02 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Collectible and prices are low. Can't believe that one in SF is only $3500! It's not stock though, as it has the euro front headlights and aftermarket wheels.

Meh, sell those wheels, procure some period-ish AMG monoblocks, lower more and bask in pimpness.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
1/25/11 8:52 p.m.

Those look like BBS on that car now. Just get them repowder coated or have them all look the same at it would be tits.

For titties and beer you'll need a set of AMG OZ three piece. Luckily they are only around 1500$ and the centers are prone to cracking if a lug head used a pneumatic on them.

Apex779
Apex779 New Reader
1/25/11 9:20 p.m.

I had a buddy that owned one in college. He was always cussing about the vacuum operated accessories. He never got the damn power locks to work right and when you hit the lock button the doors wouldn't lock at the same time! They would all take their time, it was hilarious to watch each door lock individually.

But he loved the car to death. He only paid 4k too.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
1/26/11 8:56 a.m.

The vacuum lock system on my '92 Audi S4 sometimes does that, drivers door locks first, then the rest follow...

FE3tMX5
FE3tMX5 New Reader
1/27/11 12:50 p.m.

The best place to find these is on CL. Those are the owners that sell them for just a grand over similar 190e. If you go to the Benz boards they're usually asking 6-7k for them. IMO this car is probably a bit worse off (to work on/maintenance) than the typical 80s car for it's german engineering and its electronically controlled mechanical fuel injection.

Being almost 25 years old, things are starting to wear and what I've found is the job of physically replacing (or adjusting) them is the real obstacle. There seems to be a "this will never fail" mentality. I come from the arena of old american and 90s jap cars - both easy IMO.

For example the EHA that regulates the fuel pressure at the distributor wasn't producing enough pressure and the car was running lean. I even wonder if this was the problem vs. the fuel distributor replaced by the prior owner's mechanic. In order to make a pressure adjustment on the EHA, fuel pressure needs to be relieved, the EHA unscrewed from the fuel distributor, a cover screw removed from the interior side of the EHA, and then the world's smallest hex screw rotated 1/8-1/6 of a turn. Reinstall and check pressure (which requires an inline fitting at a hard line). Why in the world wasn't the adjusting screw made accessible with the EHA installed? That's pretty much the scenario for most parts on the car.

Probably the greatest asset is the user base experience. Most benz cars of this area use the same, or have very similar systems and inevitably you find the answer to your problem via google for another benz model. Just how I found out to adjust the EHA.

No hard feelings though. I researched all the Benz boards ahead of time and knew exactly what I was getting into. It's a good thing I like working on cars.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/27/11 1:03 p.m.

^Off topic, but would you care to start another thread on the subject of your FE3 turbo Miata? I love some turbo FE3 goodness, and i'd like to see what work was needed to get the FE3 in the miata.

I have an F2T powered car, and i'd like to put the F2T into something right wheel drive so it had a chance of hooking up.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
1/27/11 3:43 p.m.

Anyone in the SF area want to check out that 2.3 16v for me?

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
1/27/11 3:56 p.m.

I am just a couple of miles away from the Cossie in San Mateo, I could take a look at it.

My email is: benzbaron at gmail dot com

Send me an email if you'd like me to have a look. I don't know much about the 190e series of cars so I might not be the best person to look at it, but I am local.

FE3tMX5
FE3tMX5 New Reader
2/13/11 12:47 p.m.

For the eastcoasters. Not mine, found on benz board.

seller said: 1986 Merecedes Benz 190e 2.3-16 16v project/parts car Having to let go of my baby. Can't afford to keep it running and its got trans problems. R-1-4-5 work ok but have to pump clutch to engage 2-3. that's the most glaring problem. also needs wheel bearings replacement rear springs (come with) replacement rear discs (come with) has other minor problems instrument panel does not light up needs new fuel sending unit (gas guage is off) physically in and out its fair. seats need reupholster cracks in front bumper from towing car's metal is pretty good short of some minor dings needs repaint. all body plastic is there. rolling on 16" 97 E430 five hole rims. with Nitto Neo Gen 205/50/16 tires installed less than a year ago. missing 2 of the 3 center console guages. previous owner was rough and i just haven't been able to keep up as i've had to use the car as my daily driver for the last year. it was always meant to be a project and get stripped and all these lingering problems fixed but life has a way of changing. i'm asking 1500. its what i need to get the car out of the lien i have on it that i used to get money to help me move closer to family. car is located in oak ridge tn. my number is 423-453-6923. call between 7am-10pm EST
FE3tMX5
FE3tMX5 New Reader
2/14/11 11:55 a.m.

There's more! http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/2210056420.html

craigslist seller said: 2 mercedes benz 190e 16v sale trade - $4800 (auburndale) Date: 2011-02-11, 9:18PM EST 1986 auto, 1984 Euro 5spd,engine needs reasembled &installed comes with xtra engine [90%complete] dash.will trade for mercedes of equal value.call for more info 407-721-1717
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
65hFLsxh0mojnmR68FvtrucS7bgBQU5SVjTHwSBZxHA2eXbFVEsNsAbkKx4fbmcN