paul
paul Reader
4/21/10 8:26 p.m.

Looking for a DD, but I semi-regularly transport heavy things like deep cycle batteries, large coolers w/ soil samples etc to job sites. The suspension on my '89 accord has been on or close to the bumpstops many times, and I put 37-40k miles a year on it.

I remember reading some time ago (possibly in GRM) that the celica gts rear suspension undergoes a significant change in toe when it's compressed (toe out?), causing accelerated tire wear, which would cancel it off my list...

What about the EP3, any major r. suspension toe changes under load?

racer_ace
racer_ace Reader
4/21/10 9:46 p.m.

In reply to paul:

I don't think there are any major changes in rear toe with load. There is a significant increase in negative camber though. I have carried items such as 5 bags of mulch, 2 large guitar amps and 3 guitars, and 2 hay bales (true story) in my '02 and have never been on the bump stops. The EP3 is a great daily driver.

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
4/21/10 9:51 p.m.

You could always look into get some progressive springs if it really becomes an issue... Riding on bump stops isn't really the best idea anyways.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
4/22/10 9:02 a.m.
paul wrote: Looking for a DD, but I semi-regularly transport heavy things like deep cycle batteries, large coolers w/ soil samples etc to job sites. The suspension on my '89 accord has been on or close to the bumpstops many times, and I put 37-40k miles a year on it. I remember reading some time ago (possibly in GRM) that the celica gts rear suspension undergoes a significant change in toe when it's compressed (toe out?), causing accelerated tire wear, which would cancel it off my list... What about the EP3, any major r. suspension toe changes under load?

I'm pretty sure it's just a change in camber, which will happen with pretty much any car in that same class including the EP3. I could be wrong of course, though.

paul
paul Reader
4/22/10 6:18 p.m.

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm having trouble finding a stock non-abused one with <50k miles for anywhere close to bluebook value...

EP3CivicSi
EP3CivicSi New Reader
4/23/10 5:15 p.m.

ditto to what all were saying, I have seen posts online of a guy towing landscaping trailers and 3 motors on it with just a little negative camer and of course the unseen strain of the driveline. They are stout cars. If you get something un riced with less then 50k it will be like a brand new car. I have owned 2 EP3's so far, and have run into very little problems (other then making it fast...still a huge problem) both with the daily driver and the race car.

motomoron
motomoron Reader
4/23/10 8:33 p.m.

One thing to watch - If you install Koni yellows on said ep3, keep an eye on the spring perches. On mine the rears were a pressed sheet metal cup atop a thin wire circlip on a groove in the shock body.

They failed several times. Koni eventually replaced the shocks and I turned a pair of steel seats that slid over the body to capture the circlip more fully.

ep3 = great DD car.

As for fast, a Jackson SC worked wonders...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZvR8NxEyfRVq7wLVhyTAiTou0YKPYO3MpQoUlzCvkriYKROrl7s1ihtYg9wCW1gj