CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
2/10/15 10:31 a.m.

Obviously he could be driving/riding around in whatever he wanted to with the money he has made. However, he has always been known for being conservative in life, and even in his selection of cars: Warren's ride up for auction

Now it's not in the GRM holy trinity, but it is pretty GRM. Wonder what it will go for, and good for him for using his name to raise money for charities (and great for him for the write-off of charitable contribution). He's obviously selling it off to get the new Cayman GT(4?) when it launches

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/10/15 10:42 a.m.

Ever seen his house? I mean, it is a very, very nice house, and it is big. But it isn't stupidly big, and you would probably think that a doctor or a low-level VP lived there rather than one of the wealthiest people in the world.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/15 11:03 a.m.

Having all that money and not spending it on cars is stupid, shame on you Mr. Buffett. Why horde it? There are people making, modifying and racing cars that could use a cash infusion. SPEND DAMMIT!

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
2/10/15 11:26 a.m.

There's a very good reason Mr. Buffet hasn't gone racing. He doesn't want to make a small fortune.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
2/10/15 11:51 a.m.

You don't get rich by spending money.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/15 11:59 a.m.

Yeah, but if you don't spend money, what's the point in getting rich?

erohslc
erohslc Dork
2/10/15 1:00 p.m.

I think he used to drive an older Buick or Olds before the Caddy, so he did trade up at some point.
Wonder what the new ride will be?

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
2/10/15 1:06 p.m.
erohslc wrote: I think he used to drive an older Buick or Olds before the Caddy, so he did trade up at some point. Wonder what the new ride will be?

Probably an Ecoboost MKS per the suggestions of this forum.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/10/15 1:12 p.m.
mtn wrote: Ever seen his house? I mean, it is a very, very nice house, and it is big. But it isn't stupidly big, and you would probably think that a doctor or a low-level VP lived there rather than one of the wealthiest people in the world.

The story goes he bought that house in the late 50's and has lived there ever since.

But I agree it seems odd. Sure, I'd have a lot more money in the bank if I didn't have 6 cars, half a dozen expensive bicycles and a dozen high-end guitars, but what's the point? Can't take it with you.

kb58
kb58 Dork
2/10/15 1:44 p.m.

I think the point is the thrill of the hunt, to see if he can win at this game called the markets. Seems like he has, but the money's just a side effect.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
2/10/15 2:27 p.m.

Do something you love, and you'll never work a day in your life...I have a feeling this adage applies to Mr. Buffett. It's the challenge of the investment that he's after, not the money. He's going to be giving almost all of his fortune to charity when he dies. Some people simply don't derive that much enjoyment from the types of things you can buy.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/10/15 2:50 p.m.

I do like that guy. He seems very down to earth, comfortable but not opulent. Like an old school benevolent Exec.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
2/10/15 2:59 p.m.

I think it's a helluva nice gesture of him to donate that car. It's a microscopic writeoff for him and yet, it's going to make a decent difference for this charity. Nice little vid.

This also furthers the theory/phenomenon that a lot of truly wealthy people don't have crazy cars.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
2/10/15 3:04 p.m.

Which brings up the question: since we are the type that say "if I were wealthy I'd have every sports car on the palette." Does that mean we will never be of good wealth?

A conundrum of monuMENTAL proportions.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
2/10/15 3:37 p.m.
Ian F wrote: but what's the point? Can't take it with you.

He's not taking it with him. He's a notable philanthropist, having pledged to give away 99 percent of his fortune to philanthropic causes, primarily via the Gates Foundation. So, good on him.

Of course, he also bought a second house and a private jet...

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/10/15 7:14 p.m.
Yeah, but if you don't spend money, what's the point in getting rich?

Good question, but most of the super rich basically got super rich by accident anyway, so their pre-riches motivations might not be all that informative. Especially if they weren't born yet.

sanman
sanman HalfDork
2/10/15 11:28 p.m.

He is more GRM than you know...his previous ride was a Lincoln Town Car! He likes his full size American cars.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
2/11/15 1:16 p.m.

didn't he used to tool around Topeka in some K car variant?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/11/15 1:23 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Having all that money and not spending it on cars is stupid, shame on you Mr. Buffett.

nominated for Say What?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Og0FT3jy5C0ldEr2u8wWCD85udFO8crKJBMHhX9P5Ph5gcdB9aGa8gP3qYvJf99g