1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
10/31/13 7:51 a.m.

I'm not anti Vettel, I really like the guy, Multi 22 excepted I think he's been the perfect sportsman, and that's why I rate him higher than Senna or Schumacher, both of who I never liked. That being said, I really want someone else to win the WDC next year. I'm a lifelong McLaren fan and really want to see them and Button back on top, but the realist says that McLaren will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory whenever then can. My best hope for next year is Mercedes can build a car that doesn't eat tires like Rose O’Donnell and a box of thin mints at girl scout jamboree. While like everyone I like Kimi I just can't see him beating Alonso on track. I rate Alonso as possibly the best racer out there, just a pity I can't stand him or his team.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
10/31/13 11:48 a.m.

Heard a rumor today that Adrian Newey is being courted to leave RBR to design an America's Cup Yacht for Ben Ainslie.

Adrian_Thompson
10/31/13 1:48 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: Heard a rumor today that Adrian Newey is being courted to leave RBR to design an America's Cup Yacht for Ben Ainslie.

I saw that too, but I bet he's not leaving any time soon. He could knock up a quick America's cup design over his coffee break and carry on at RBR

Adrian_Thompson
10/31/13 2:16 p.m.

A bit of self promotion by RBR

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/132787.html

Coulthard does donuts in the RB F1 car on the heli pad on top of that freeking awesome Burj Al Arab hotel to celebrate (read get some free press, and why not) their latest Championships

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/13 2:25 p.m.

Given that it was Coulthard, I'll expect that to get some juicy airtime in the BBC pre-race show.

Good for them. I can't believe the FIA really fined Red Bull for Vettel acting like a human being.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
10/31/13 2:45 p.m.

hmmmmmmm, would RBR benefit from hiring Brawn? If nothing else keep his mind and skills away from a competitor???

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
10/31/13 3:24 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: hmmmmmmm, would RBR benefit from hiring Brawn? If nothing else keep his mind and skills away from a competitor???

He doesn't seem to be doing Mercedes any favors lately. Then again, that could be down to the drivers (You don't suppose diamondearring stupidfacialhair and his mate Britney are actually worse drivers than Jenson and Rubinho, do you?)

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/31/13 3:32 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote: hmmmmmmm, would RBR benefit from hiring Brawn? If nothing else keep his mind and skills away from a competitor???
He doesn't seem to be doing Mercedes any favors lately. Then again, that could be down to the drivers (You don't suppose diamondearring stupidfacialhair and his mate Britney are actually worse drivers than Jenson and Rubinho, do you?)

I don't know, they seem to be steadily progressing. It took RB how many years with a top technical team to go from nowhere to the front.

I'd like to see him end up at Williams and bring them back to relevance.

Also, I want Maldanado to end up with no PDVSA money and go elsewhere. His arrogance regarding where he is going to drive next is mind boggling.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
10/31/13 3:34 p.m.

Mercedes went from a team at the front to a team at the back. They won the championship as Brawn, and where have they been since then?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/13 3:37 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: I'd like to see him end up at Williams and bring them back to relevance. Also, I want Maldanado to end up with no PDVSA money and go elsewhere. His arrogance regarding where he is going to drive next is mind boggling.

I just wanted you to know that I completely agree with TWO things you said!

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/31/13 3:56 p.m.

^I guess I should have added I want The Hulk at Lotus, not Crashdanardo.

Maroon92 wrote: Mercedes went from a team at the front to a team at the back. They won the championship as Brawn, and where have they been since then?

Let's be fair.

The only reason they won a Championship was because of the double diffuser. Once the rest of the grid figured it out they were being steadily gained on.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
10/31/13 5:58 p.m.

Hmmm, or maybe give him (Brawn) the "little" Red Bull team to try and build.... nah...wouldn't be fair to Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes if they were locked out of the first 2 rows......

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/13 6:06 p.m.

McLaren already stole RBR's top 2 aero guys for next year, if they can get Brawn on and Honda turbo power going... (and replace Perez, maybe with Alonso?)

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/31/13 7:45 p.m.
Let's be fair. The only reason they won a Championship was because of the double diffuser. Once the rest of the grid figured it out they were being steadily gained on.

The reason they won the championship was that they had built the car to be a Honda, with a Honda-sized budget, and blowing off most of 2008 to focus on the 2009 car. The double diffuser was a part of this, but they weren't the only ones with one, not even at the beginning of the season. F1 cars are very rarely dominant because of one magic bullet, at least not in the last 20 years. They fell off as the season progressed because they'd had to lay off over half the staff (from the Honda days) and had no money to continue to develop the car.

That's basically the same reason that the 2010 Mercedes car sucked (no money to develop it during 2009). 2011 and onwards saw improvements, but not as much as the board had been expecting, which is pretty much why Ross Brawn is leaving at the end of this season.

Ross Brawn has 8 constructors' championships to his name (6 at Ferrari, 1 each at Benetton and Brawn). Between him and Newey that's 18 out of the last 22 years.

Lancer007
Lancer007 New Reader
10/31/13 9:33 p.m.

z31maniac wrote:

I don't know, they seem to be steadily progressing. It took RB how many years with a top technical team to go from nowhere to the front. I'd like to see him end up at Williams and bring them back to relevance. Also, I want Maldanado to end up with no PDVSA money and go elsewhere. His arrogance regarding where he is going to drive next is mind boggling.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/13 2:57 p.m.

I would think Kimi was being a rich douche if not for the way Lotus has been treating him recently:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/01/sport/motorsport/raikkonen-lotus-vettel-motorsport/index.html

Still I think he's putting the gas and matches a little too close to his giant pile of popularity coupons.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
11/1/13 3:22 p.m.

^Not at all, at least with me.

I promise I wouldn't still be showing up to work if they hadn't paid me in months.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/13 3:37 p.m.

If I was a multi-millionaire I wouldn't do anything I didn't like doing...if he has a problem with not being paid he should have done this months ago.

And they're promising to pay him just like Roman from what I understand, so he could wait for the agreed pay date.

But pay is clearly not the main reason he suddenly has a problem anyway.

He works for deferred (at best) pay, does a great job and they give him BS about not caring about the team? I'd be pissed as hell too.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
11/3/13 7:02 a.m.

Amazing how once Vettel wins the championship, Webber's car gets fast...

Vettel and his Austrian backer are douche-nozzles...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/3/13 8:11 a.m.

Yeah, but I am grudgingly going to start to admit, Vettel is fast, lap 33 and he is 30 seconds up on Webber.

The car is designed around him, the car is better, the team like him more, yes I agree, but a full second a lap is amazing.

He has had a remarkable year for staying out of trouble as well.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/3/13 8:16 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Good for them. I can't believe the FIA really fined Red Bull for Vettel acting like a human being.

This, really... Webber gets fined for hitching a ride after the event and now Vettel is fined for a dominant season's minute of celebrations, they are as out of control as (muffled flouder)

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
11/3/13 3:08 p.m.

under the circumstances..... (no more, or little development on 2013 cars anymore)

Does Vettel break Shui's and Ascari's records??

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
11/3/13 4:32 p.m.

Alonso leaving the pits... T"here is a G force alarm in all F1 chassis's. When Alonso hit the curb coming out of the pits it was with somewhere between 25 and 28 G of force. That means by the regs, they came to get him after the race, strapped him down and took him to the hospital! Apparently he's OK, just a sore back. "I still have all my teeth" was the quote."

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
11/3/13 6:35 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Good for them. I can't believe the FIA really fined Red Bull for Vettel acting like a human being.
This, really... Webber gets fined for hitching a ride after the event and now Vettel is fined for a dominant season's minute of celebrations, they are as out of control as (muffled flouder)

No, Webber was fined because it was 3rd infraction. Hitching the ride ( going on track without Marshall's approval) was his 3rd infraction.

Adrian_Thompson
11/4/13 8:16 a.m.
racerfink wrote: Amazing how once Vettel wins the championship, Webber's car gets fast... Vettel and his Austrian backer are douche-nozzles...

How do you figure that? Even Webber is just saying that Vettel is just in a class of his own. Webber was talking to the BBC crew and admitted he loses the feel for the soft tires as they start to degrade where Vettel has the feel to keep pushing them without degrading them excessively. There's no love lost between the two, yet even Webbers not crying foul about uneven treatment. Webber has the pace and can out qualified Vettel on occasions, but Vettel can just put together amazing race pace.

Personally I think the other top drivers have just given up on the season. Alonso, Hamilton, Kimi and Webber are all just waiting for the new cars in 2014 (Porsche in Webbers case) and have lost the fight, hence we have a chance for others to shine.

I really don't get the douche nozzle comment. Vettel isn't a cheating bastard like Shui or Senna, yet people didn't just hate on them when they were at the top of their game.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yH5tbg1kn6rLYz5IuqmACNHfd6ao96FXMe6lUiZYeo2mHaoRkWMZp7CnlitoGKEc