1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/11/13 10:16 a.m.

Sucks...I would have liked it better if he went anywhere but Ferrari. Even Red Bull.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/13 11:45 a.m.

Today's ball buster: Ross Brawn buying 15% of Williams.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/11/13 12:18 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Today's ball buster: Ross Brawn buying 15% of Williams.

Is this a Javelin fantasy brought on by the sweet smell of Swedish success, or is it for real?

Man that could be awesome. Williams really needs some help, Brawn is obviously being squeezed out of Mercedes so will be looking for a retirement hobby, he could really clean house there with Pat Symonds

Javelin
9/11/13 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Same source that gave me Kimi to Fezza, and all you doubters saw how that went!

Brawn's already out at Merc, and it's obvious he's not done playing the game. Merc is supposed to be supplying the Williams engines next year, and if Brawn goes and brings in $$$ and development, they'll quickly jump up to a tier-2 team.

Maybe Massa has a shot at a seat with a resurgent Williams?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/11/13 1:02 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: Same source that gave me Kimi to Fezza, and all you doubters saw how that went! Brawn's already out at Merc, and it's obvious he's not done playing the game. Merc is supposed to be supplying the Williams engines next year, and if Brawn goes and brings in $$$ and development, they'll quickly jump up to a tier-2 team. Maybe Massa has a shot at a seat with a resurgent Williams?

I'll be happy if Williams does get Brawn, but much as I like Massa, he needs to make way for some young blood in the sport.

I have a love hate relationship with Williams, they were always one of my favorite teams after McLaren, elspecialy in the 'Mansell mania' years, but Frank's always been a mecenary old bastard. Think of the number of drivers who have won championships for him that he's imidialtly cut loose or forced out.

Bye bye Mansell, Prost, Hill. You could include Piquet, but he was a tool to start with.

Javelin
9/11/13 1:17 p.m.

Isn't his daughter in charge now? I thought old Frank was losing his marbles so he finally stepped out.

I'd love to see Brawn running Williams with a good driver line up, say Grosjean / Maldonado... Oh wait, that would be good for a demo derby. How about Bottas / Kobayashi?

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
9/11/13 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Frank is still hanging on in the role of Team Principal; his daughter controls the rest of the organization.

I hope she's not too much like her father because Brawn can do wonderful things with a team on the down side. Williams may be stuck with the current drivers, what with contracts and the money they bring factoring into the equation.

Bottas may have some potential I'm not sure if Maldonado isn't just a one-win wonder. Hmmm, I was going to say "one hit wonder" but he has disproven that ideal on multiple occasions.

Massa could be a great asset for a year or two; I still think he's better than more than half the grid and could do well in a better atmosphere than what the red scourge offers.

And, I want to see the Hulk go to Lotus and win a few races.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/11/13 2:21 p.m.

In reply to oldsaw:

I'd love to see Hulkenburg go to a team that can climb the top step of the ladder. He's another in the long line that was told not to let the door hit him in the arse as he left Williams.

I just don't rate Maldonardo and now Chaves is dead I'n not sure how long the Venuzualan government will keep footing the bill. I think Bottas has on average finished higher than Maldonardo this year even though Maldonardo got lucky and scored a point. I'd like to see Maldonado and Massa exit stage left and possibly Pic or one of the other back of the grid team drivers get a chance

Javelin
9/11/13 3:11 p.m.

Unfortunately almost all of the back grid drivers are pay-to-play. There's dozens of faster drivers that will never get a shot.

Dare I say Bruno gets some $$$ together to go to a Brawn Williams?!?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/11/13 3:30 p.m.

What's wrong with pay drivers, as they said the other day they've been around for ever. Some more obvious than others. Lauda borrowed money from the bank to buy a drive at March (not BRM initialy as implyed by Rush). Mansell mortgaged his house etc. Every driver out there is in some way or form a pay driver.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/12/13 7:38 a.m.

So Domenicali claims Kimi and Alonso are starting equal. We shall see. The Red purse gang have always been a clear #1 and support driver team, let's see how it pans out. I love Kimi and really don't like Alonso, but I can't help feeling Alonso is potentially the best driver on the grid with LCH just a tick behind then Vettle and Kimi close on their heels. I wonder how Kimi's motivation will be if Alonso soundly trounces him in the first half dozen races? Trust me, I want to see Kimi take a big stick to Alonso, but I'm not sure it will happen.http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport/story/124847.html

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/12/13 8:05 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: So Domenicali claims Kimi and Alonso are starting equal. We shall see. The Red purse gang have always been a clear #1 and support driver team, let's see how it pans out. I love Kimi and really don't like Alonso, but I can't help feeling Alonso is potentially the best driver on the grid with LCH just a tick behind then Vettle and Kimi close on their heels. I wonder how Kimi's motivation will be if Alonso soundly trounces him in the first half dozen races? Trust me, I want to see Kimi take a big stick to Alonso, but I'm not sure it will happen.http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport/story/124847.html

I have had similar thoughts, but one this is for sure, that will be a very interesting pairing and next year will be awesome.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
9/12/13 8:26 a.m.

I'd love to see Williams become a powerhouse again, and take a Brit back over to it. Maybe Button, though that would be a tough seat to give up. I think they need to get rid of Maldonado, but he brings in big bucks to the team

beans
beans HalfDork
9/12/13 8:31 a.m.

McLaren Honda+Kimi=dream

There's so much right with that combo(IMO) that the board should just give him the championship off the bat.

DukeOfUndersteer
9/13/13 8:56 a.m.

Word going round is Smedly is going to Williams. This just after Ross Brawn purchased 15% of Williams.

Maybe Massa to Williams?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/13/13 9:18 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Word going round is Smedly is going to Williams. This just after Ross Brawn purchased 15% of Williams. Maybe Massa to Williams?

Now that's an intriguing idea.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/13/13 9:22 a.m.

I wish Kimi hadn't gone to Ferrari. Alonso plus Ferrari made the prefect team to hate.

Javelin
9/13/13 12:28 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Word going round is Smedly is going to Williams. This just after Ross Brawn purchased 15% of Williams. Maybe Massa to Williams?

I saw that one, too. Massa would do well at replacing Maldonado at WIlliams. They are set up for a major upgrade into mid pack for 2014.

Lots of articles this morning on how unhappy Alonso is at Ferrari. I'm really thinking that he won't make it past 2014, and I really wouldn't be surprised if he switches for 2014 itself. Still thinking replacing Button or Perez at McLaren Honda is a real possibility...

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/13/13 12:32 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
I saw that one, too. Massa would do well at replacing Maldonado at WIlliams. They are set up for a major upgrade into mid pack for 2014. *Lots* of articles this morning on how unhappy Alonso is at Ferrari. I'm really thinking that he won't make it past 2014, and I really wouldn't be surprised if he switches for 2014 itself. Still thinking replacing Button or Perez at McLaren Honda is a real possibility...

Also just saw a story that the head of Aero at Lotus is making the move to pasta land as well.

stroker
stroker Dork
9/14/13 9:11 a.m.
Still thinking replacing Button or Perez at McLaren Honda is a real possibility...

Not thinking that's likely. Alonso doesn't appear to be too big on "equal" driver status. McLaren gets the benefit of having a former WDC to appeal to potential sponsors by having Button without all the headaches and baggage Alonso brings. I could see him at Renault as #1, though...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/16/13 7:45 a.m.

Lots of rumors over the weekend:

Massa heading to Lotus to backfill Kimi. Boo, give it to some young blood.
Grosjean worried about his Lotus seat, as he should be
Vettel to Ferrari in 2 years. That could be interesting, but I only see it if he can get Newey there with him Maldonado looking to leave Williams due to lack of pace in the car. I still don’t see anything solid on Brawn and the 15% of Williams though

DukeOfUndersteer
9/16/13 9:58 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I still don’t see anything solid on Brawn and the 15% of Williams though

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/11/ross-brawn-buying-into-williams/

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
9/16/13 11:38 a.m.
Mark Webber via Bleacher Report said: Ferrari will dump Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen simultaneously to make way for Sebastian Vettel in 2016, according to Mark Webber. The Australian, who has partnered Vettel at his current Red Bull team since 2009, reckons Raikkonen's two-year deal with the Scuderia will expire at the same time as Alonso's. The Maranello squad would then move for triple world champion Vettel as part of what Webber believes is a never-ending search for instant success.

is Vettel worth dumping Alonso AND Kimi???

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/13 11:49 a.m.

"A never-ending search for instant success". Great line.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/16/13 1:09 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I still don’t see anything solid on Brawn and the 15% of Williams though
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/11/ross-brawn-buying-into-williams/

He said something solid, that is just more speculation.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GNKdIRkFEoOsXaigX2IV2NWh5Bgi3PuUFgeHon5XWKarH2HKGpUPjatvCqFW0toZ