dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/09 8:46 a.m.

I am looking at a 2000 F150. I like the truck. It has what appears to be the XLT option package BUT looking closer it has no baging other than "7700" under the F150 badge on the back (the F150 and the 7700 are all one badge so i am assuming it is factory.) I then look closer and the only other thing I can find is "4x4" on the back of the fenders of the bed. That is it.

Closer inspection finds that it has 8 lug wheels and a 5.4 motor.

So what is this thing? A mutant F150?

It is a crew cab style truck. (two regular doors and with the back sections that swing open to get to the back seat. Basically it looks like a F150 with the underpinnings of a F250. Anyone know what this thing is? I was at the dealer this morning and mentioned it to the service desk guy and he knew nothing about it. He told me to bring the VIN in and he could tell me what it was.

I Can get it on the cheep. It needs calipers and pads and one brake line. All stuff that can be done in a couple hours. Other than that is is a rust free nice running well cared for truck. I am thinking that it can pull double duty as the tow vehicle as well as the general purpose hall-er, dump runner and yet I can fit the famley in it at least till the kids get a bit bigger (4-5 years from now)

Anyone know what this is?

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
4/11/09 9:13 a.m.

From what I've found, it's a beefed up/heavier duty F-150,with 7 lug rims, and a 7700# payload capacity.

Do a google for Ford F-150 "7700" .

Wade
Wade New Reader
4/11/09 9:17 a.m.

Well, it being a 2000 surprises me.

My dad has a 1999 F250, however, it matches what you are describing. I believe it is technically classified as a "light duty" F250. But it's basically an F150 body with heavy duty suspension on it. I believe it was an upgrade option. His also has the 5.4.

I would double check the lug nuts again, as I believe these particular trucks have a strange 7 lug bolt pattern.

If you can get a good buy on it, I would go ahead and get it. We've used his truck to tow a few cars and it pulls pretty well.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
4/11/09 9:18 a.m.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/226885-8-lug-rotor-on-f-150-a.html

I was intrigued so I did some poking around and found this thread that may be relevant to your interests.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/11/09 9:23 a.m.

7 lug? That's a new one.

dean1484
4/11/09 10:39 a.m.

Ya I thought it was a typo. That is why I said 8 lug. I actually did not take the hub caps off I just assumed that it was 8 lug like the heavy duty trucks as it was much larger than my Expedition hubs. I had no idea that they made 7 lug set ups. Rims must be a sob to get.

dean1484
4/11/09 10:43 a.m.

I had a "google moment" as soon as I made my original post. I was like "Daaaaa use google you idiot" but I still want the opinions of you all instead of the random stuff you get with google.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/11/09 11:53 a.m.

Yup, its a 7-lug thing they did for a while and it was actually an F250 light duty. They're fine trucks, but don't ever expect an easy time finding replacement wheels :) Originally Ford only did it with the work trucks, but they misjudged its popularity and started making XLTs and Lariats in the 7700. They killed the idea shortly after because no one was buying them except fleets and contractors.

They were basically an idea that Ford had where they took a regular F150, added an extra leaf to the rear springs, gave it oddball 7-lug wheels, and rated it for 7700 lbs. I think there was a difference in front brakes as well, but otherwise its a mildly beefed F150. Great trucks. I have a normal "6600" F150 with the 4.6L, and aside from being a little wimpy its a super sturdy truck. There is a reason that the F150 was the best selling vehicle for something like 7 years in a row. I'm not a big fan of trying to move a full-size truck with the small-displacement options from Ford, but the trucks are great. The 5.4 is a nice step up, but still not really enough displacement to make the torque necessary for heavier towing.

Aside from lacking torque, the engines are great. They are known to last a LONG time. Mine has 125k and never uses a drop of oil, nor has it had a single item replaced on it except spark plugs once at 60k. My buddy has one with 196k and aside from a power steering pump and a water pump, its the same story. The later coil-on-plug motors tend to fry coils from time to time and the only inconvenience is their price. Transmissions are hit or miss. 90% of them are great for a long time, but occasionally you'll hear about a lemon tranny that explodes at 60k. You probably have the 4R70W, possibly the 4R75W. Same basic tranny, and it will do well for you if you keep it out of OD when moving heavy things or towing.

I'm going to fix my torque problem with a 4BT swap. Others fix theirs with a supercharged 5.4 from a Lightning.

Things to check: Body bushings get a bit spongy over time. Put the tailgate down and jump on it. If there seems to be excessive movement of the bed just replace them. Count the lug nuts on the axle cover. 10 bolts is an 8.8". Its a fine axle (a corporate copy of the GM 12-bolt) but not that beefy by today's standards. But, it will probably have 12 bolts which means its the 9.75" axle. The 9.75" is only moderately stronger, but enough stronger to warrant making it worth while. Being a 2000 and an XLT, it should have the rear discs. Rear drums were an option on the XL and work truck. Nothing wrong with drums, just that discs are better.

Nothing wrong with it. If its the right price, get it, but its not worth much (if anything) more than a plain old 5-lug F150.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/11/09 12:23 p.m.

They made a compressed natural gas 7700 if you are are really a nutso. It would run off of CNG or gasoline. The switch valve are flaky and $2k.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
4/11/09 12:36 p.m.

Okay, after reading a couple of links, one said that they didn't produce a 4X4 7700 with 7 lug wheels (only 8 lug)....so you might be okay there.

Sounds like a cool rig.

dean1484
4/11/09 9:05 p.m.

As I read it the 4X4 got the 7 lug and the 4X2 got the 8 lug. The one I am looking at was definitely a 4X4 so have to assume it is 7 lug

CLynn85
CLynn85 New Reader
4/11/09 9:09 p.m.

I remember the "light duty" f250's when they came out, I looked for one a couple years ago and couldn't find one that hadn't been beaten into the ground already.

Post pics if you decide to pick it up!

dean1484
4/11/09 9:12 p.m.

They make mudders

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
4/12/09 7:33 a.m.

Dean. If you pass on this truck please send me the info, as i"m only 45 minutes west of you.

Thanks 44Dwarf

dean1484
4/12/09 12:38 p.m.

No a problem. The sale is going to be a slow motion thing. I am closing on a new house at the end of the month.

The owner of the 150 wants to keep the truck for another month or two. We agreed to talk at the end of April as she wants a new F150. I told her that what ever the dealer will give her for a trad in I would match plus %10.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
4/13/09 6:35 a.m.

Cool hope you get it. You staying in Lincon? Ouch.. I grow up in Lexington had to move to Winchendon to afford a house....but i was 24 at the time, now at 40 i can't afford to move.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u0UsybhP4FWmK9KLMZeowVvWSHzyWZPCeiWT3Lfe9ZHxmpdm4pfY0tJdIy61tjLZ