1 2 3
84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
3/7/21 6:16 p.m.

They were up as of 2pm...

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/21 8:59 p.m.

Even having a filter to search for say, 4x4 trucks and not 2WD trucks would be great.

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) New Reader
3/8/21 3:47 a.m.

As others said search function sucks and results are sorted in some random order. I am looking for 4x100 wheels for a Miata and half the hits on search are different bolt patterns that will not fit the car.  I wish there was an easy way to sort by chronological order. I see posts from 4 weeks ago followed by ones from 4 hrs ago and some good deals pop-up after they have been marked sold. There is no rhyme or logic. Much rather prefer CL or forums. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/11/21 11:34 a.m.

FWIW, I think I have sold/given away everything that I have put on FB Marketplace. For one item, I received dibs less than an hour after posting--and then heard from a second person soon after. I agree, the interface isn't awesome, but I'm happy to get the stuff out of my garage. If that's where the customers are, then that's where I'll advertise my stuff. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
3/16/22 11:18 a.m.

Argh

Facebook Marketplace why won't you let me just save my search preferences?!?!

I don't want to see anything involving "shipping" - just show me local stuff....ahhhhhhh

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
12/2/22 9:20 a.m.

Facebook Marketplace down here in Peru sometimes takes my breath away...Wrecked stuff here gets beaten and fillered back to an approximate shape and sold on again, but this one...

Anyone want a 2019 CX5?  This beauty is up for sale for $11,500...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/2/22 9:37 a.m.

In reply to paul_s0 :

Wow, that still comes out to about $3000 USD, for what looks like a few hundred dollars of scrap metal.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/2/22 10:25 a.m.

How do you say "I know what I have" in Spanish?

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
12/2/22 10:33 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to paul_s0 :

Wow, that still comes out to about $3000 USD, for what looks like a few hundred dollars of scrap metal.

Nope, he actually asking for that in Dollars $11,490 - Marketplace won't let you select USD when placing an advert here, only Peruvian Soles, so most folk put up the number in dollars, and clarify in the text that it's Dollars not Soles...

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
12/2/22 10:36 a.m.
Tyler H said:

How do you say "I know what I have" in Spanish?

laugh  "Solo Conocedores" is what they use in place of "I know what I have", literal translation is "Only people who know", but the intent is the same.  There's loads of vehicles like that, although this is the best/worst I've seen in a while!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/2/22 10:46 a.m.
paul_s0 said:
eastsideTim said:

In reply to paul_s0 :

Nope, he actually asking for that in Dollars $11,490 - Marketplace won't let you select USD when placing an advert here, only Peruvian Soles, so most folk put up the number in dollars, and clarify in the text that it's Dollars not Soles...

Wow.  Is there anything "special" that comes with the car?

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
12/2/22 11:00 a.m.

It's just the market here....

another example, a Hilux for $13,900

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/3/22 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Tyler H :

Dico yo tengo.....

But I haven't had a need to speak Spanish daily in 30 years....  so my Spanish ain't no bueno no mas.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
12/3/22 2:30 p.m.

My experience with marketplace is similar to that of the early days of cl. Lots of people posting things that they just want gone and up for a reasonable negotiation. I bought an 02 legacy wagon a few years ago for 1500 that was originally listed at 3k. The seller just said something to the effect that if I could take it away that day, he'd settle for half of what he was asking. Much more egalitarian than Craigslist as of late. 

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/4/22 2:37 p.m.

Mods and Miles is looking like an interesting option for enthusiast cars

https://modsandmiles.com/

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/6/22 1:34 p.m.

I remember someone once describing a car's condition as having "been set on fire and then put out with rust." That seems applicable here. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/9/24 12:52 p.m.

Near me in the Chicago area - doesn't feel like a scam at all.....

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/9/24 12:57 p.m.

Wait, both Arianna AND Sophia have a Ferrari engine for sale for $900?  

Imagine my luck today. 

talonian
talonian New Reader
10/9/24 3:14 p.m.

I'd like to offer some Gen Z insight: 

FB Marketplace is without a doubt going to replace Craigslist and it's most of the way there already. It has made buying and selling quicker and easier because almost everyone already has a FB account, and the audience is far wider than on CL. Compare search results for any car, especially enthusiast cars, the supply on Marketplace outnumbers CL by magnitudes.

I bought and sold my first couple cars on Craigslist almost a decade ago but since then I've noticed an increasingly sparse supply of ads. Craigslist had a bad reputation in my circles, it was known for sketchy deals and creepy people. I think the visibility and use of a personal profile on FB improved on this problem and the buyer/seller ratings and reviews are a big plus. 

Things also move faster on Marketplace. The integrated messenger chats allow you to inquire about a listing, research the seller, and coordinate a deal in a short amount of time. You can also create an ad, attach photos from your phone, crosspost to BST groups, and share to your entire network in a matter of minutes. It's also free, whereas CL charges for car postings now.

Marketplace has a lot of problems and obnoxious people but these days Craigslist is just polluted with endless duplicate dealership listings. I can't imagine anyone using CL for cars for any reason at this point besides buying or selling a car with a uniquely elderly audience. 

Also, look for the little storefront icon on Facebook to find Marketplace on your phone or computer.... it's there lol.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/9/24 3:18 p.m.

I've listed two items this month on Craigslist without a single inquiry back whether scam or real.  I even noted my cell for texting back. 

I guess CL is dieing off.

Paris Van Gorder
Paris Van Gorder Associate editor
10/9/24 3:23 p.m.

If anyone ever needs a good laugh, look up mirrors for sale on Facebook Marketplace. I doom scroll on there alot and sometimes a funny break is needed. Facebook does have its gems though.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
10/9/24 4:12 p.m.

In reply to Paris Van Gorder :

Oh, that was funny! I saw mostly knees!  laugh

porschenut
porschenut Dork
10/9/24 4:58 p.m.

I usually put stuff up on both and see which one wins.  For buying FB is infuriating, the search function filters just don't work.  This should be a simple function but I guess there is no profit in doing it right.  

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
10/9/24 5:13 p.m.

The best thing about CL is going to the "cars + trucks" for sale section and search for "project", "antique", "vintage".    I have not found a way to do that on Marketplace.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b4ayyt7Ag2NMBRKTpwXkx0nTe8R8k2Q0a608niLICIwwMaj9LRcYi6SkIKKQ1Juz