How'z about this configuration?

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Production Editor
3/2/11 11:26 a.m.

Why not a hatch?

Justen
Justen None
3/2/11 11:59 a.m.

I like the idea of using as much from the donor car as possible. using the windshield would be great. I think the front windows may be too big, but maybe using the read windows from the donor as the front windows on the kit would work since they are a lot shorter.

MattPerez
MattPerez New Reader
3/2/11 12:11 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: In reply to MattPerez: You know, there's no limit to the amount of designs you submit.

I know now:)

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
3/2/11 12:41 p.m.

I just sent design number one to the art education sister. I sent a terrible pen drawn pile of junk along with about 35 similar cars in hopes that she'll come up with something usable. Now that I know I can have multiple entries, though, I have to keep going. She's going to get tired of this quickly. I won't!

FF: I would actually like the idea of a metal body better, since it was mentioned on pg 1 or 2. If my opinion means anything (and it shouldn't) it would be nicer to work with if it was like most "normal" cars out there in terms of body construction. Easier to fix, too.

audsyn
audsyn None
3/2/11 12:58 p.m.
MattPerez wrote: I would also like to find some WRX radiator dimensions if anyone knows them off hand. I know we dont have to use it but since im working in 3d i like to make representations of this stuff to flush out some shapes.

The stock radiator has plastic endtanks that will leak sooner or later, and for a 2002-vintage donor likely already has started leaking. Many enthusiasts replace it with an all-aluminum job such as this, which is roughly the same W and H as stock but thicker.

Overall Size: 28.4" x 17.2" x 2.15"

Core Size: 13.54" x 27.24"

HTH

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/11 1:50 p.m.

I hate to be the voice of reason here... but... Has anyone seen what $5000 gets you in the used or parts WRX market lately? I would concerned about meeting the budget goals personally.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/2/11 2:31 p.m.
John Brown wrote: I hate to be the voice of reason here... but... Has anyone seen what $5000 gets you in the used or parts WRX market lately? I would concerned about meeting the budget goals personally.

Ouch. An Autotrader 500 mile search of 2001-2004 cars (127 cars found) turned up one wrecked car for $2700 and the next car from there jumps to $7300. I guess the plan is to sell off the unused bits to stay under budget.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
3/2/11 2:43 p.m.
Justen wrote: I like the idea of using as much from the donor car as possible. using the windshield would be great. I think the front windows may be too big, but maybe using the read windows from the donor as the front windows on the kit would work since they are a lot shorter.

Some of the boxier shapes have been suggested for just that reason. The super-sportster-speedster formula comes to mind first. Go spend a few minutes on the Pikes Peak website, for example.

.... Just trying to keep things interesting.

confusis
confusis
3/2/11 3:03 p.m.

Hmm - I'm in for this one. I do a lot of design contest work over @ bit-tech .net (pc enthusiast forums) so this will be a change. This is open to people worldwide, right?

dculberson
dculberson Reader
3/2/11 3:25 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
John Brown wrote: I hate to be the voice of reason here... but... Has anyone seen what $5000 gets you in the used or parts WRX market lately? I would concerned about meeting the budget goals personally.
Ouch. An Autotrader 500 mile search of 2001-2004 cars (127 cars found) turned up one wrecked car for $2700 and the next car from there jumps to $7300. I guess the plan is to sell off the unused bits to stay under budget.

You don't need a perfect, drivable car for a drivetrain donor, guys. $7300 if it's a drivable car would probably net you a well under $5000 once you sell off the unneeded parts. $2700 is well under the goal and would leave enough in the budget to buy any needed parts that were damaged in the accident. (And you'd likely have some stuff left over to sell there, too.)

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
3/2/11 3:56 p.m.

I wouldn't totally abandon this- that hoodline is very nice. I like it.

dyintorace wrote:
MattPerez wrote:
My favorite part of this design is the muscular look of the rear flare that starts behind the door. Looks mean!
kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/2/11 4:14 p.m.

It's hard to envision getting $5k in sell-offs off a carcass unless there's a STI on the rear.

It's a shame that we can't see the entrants. Perhaps after the winner is determined the other entrants will grace us with their ideas. In the mean time, more pictures is always good!

What the heck, Mazda's not going to build it. Someone should!

DaveSmith
DaveSmith New Reader
3/2/11 4:21 p.m.

We will be posting a Submissions Gallery weekly. The WRX stuff is a tad expensive, but keep in mind a good percentage of the donor car parts can be taken from the platform (imprez, etc) and the engine shares mechanicals as well. Our guy Jeremy at Solidworks did another template that should help a small amount, and should be updated soon. Thanks for all the stoke and good luck going forward.

The contest has geenrated alot of interest from other partner companies of ours. We MAY (no promises) be able to add numbers to prizes and maybe even do a "submission of the week" kinda deal. Let's try and have fun with this.

Dave Smith President Factory Five Racing, Inc.

MattPerez
MattPerez New Reader
3/2/11 4:28 p.m.

Since I know we can have multiple entries im sure that front end will make it into one of my designs:) That was the result of just free sketching in solidworks with no pics to work off of. I find that my best work often comes from that:) I liked the front end and the rear end but i didnt feel they went together very well(from all views).

I can't believe we have 3 months!

As far as scavenging parts from wrecked cars. Ive seen some flood damaged cars go for cheap.

Teh E36 M3 wrote: I wouldn't totally abandon this- that hoodline is very nice. I like it.
dyintorace wrote:
MattPerez wrote:
My favorite part of this design is the muscular look of the rear flare that starts behind the door. Looks mean!
MattPerez
MattPerez New Reader
3/2/11 4:31 p.m.

But i will leave you with some inspiration. Some of my favorite mid-engined cars.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/11 4:45 p.m.

I absolutely welscome the news of multiple submissions and weekly prizes!

dculberson
dculberson Reader
3/2/11 4:54 p.m.
kreb wrote: It's hard to envision getting $5k in sell-offs off a carcass unless there's a STI on the rear.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The goal was that the donor would cost $5k net; Ian F provided a couple examples, one of which was $7200. In order to get from $7200 to $5000, then you only need to sell of $2200. I didn't mean you could sell $5000 in parts off and still have everything you need!

$2200 seems quite doable to me if it's an intact, drivable car.

Cooluser23
Cooluser23 New Reader
3/2/11 4:55 p.m.

I'm looking forward the designs. What still worries me that being too stringent with weight restrictions, or design parameters could lead to a body reminiscent of a Tamiya Remote control car.

While this would keep weight down, it would detract from the every day practically of a full body supercar inspired Factory Five kit.

Cooluser23
Cooluser23 New Reader
3/2/11 5:04 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: I wonder if FF could be convinced to include a token rear seat configuration. A much cheaper, much better looking Lotus Evora with Subie power would be fantastic!

That would be nice as well, but not sure if it would fit in with the wheelbase requirements.

It would be nice though if the car had useable storage space. (I'm talking more than an overnight bag) Many of us have significant others, and a weekend trip with 2 people can lead to crazy amounts of luggage.

The twin trunk concept of a Porsche Boxter may be welcome in solving that problem.

Click here for more info: How Much Luggage Fits in a Porsche Boxster?

TCL1999
TCL1999
3/2/11 5:09 p.m.

Anyone have a top view of the STI hatchback like the side view posted earlier? I'm trying to use the stock windshield, but I don't know how wide it is at the top and bottom. Anyone have the ability to obtain those dimensions?

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/2/11 5:17 p.m.

I simply don't have the chops to design something that would trump the talent that's already in play, but I'd like to reiterate my suggestion that a modular design would be great:

Base: no top, fixed doors

Options: doors, top, windows, trim, HVAC (yep, I said it!), sound deadening, aero aids, et cetera

Then you'd have something that would appeal both to the relatively poor track addict, as well as someone who wants to make the car usable in all seasons and/or touring. Someone could even buy the lowest trim level, and upgrade as funds became available.

MattPerez
MattPerez New Reader
3/2/11 5:49 p.m.
TCL1999 wrote: Anyone have a top view of the STI hatchback like the side view posted earlier? I'm trying to use the stock windshield, but I don't know how wide it is at the top and bottom. Anyone have the ability to obtain those dimensions?

I pieced together using a good side and front view and another cars top view to get a good approximation of the scooby windshield. I saved an iges copy that you are welcome to use if it helps.

https://filebox.vt.edu/users/maperez/SubaruGlass.IGS

if you google wrx blueprints you can get a good number of results. Note that the iges file does not account for the actual glass thickness. I made it a bit thicker because i wasnt sure the actual thickness.

peter
peter Reader
3/2/11 5:56 p.m.

As far as donors - y'all do realize that AutoTrader is not the place you'll find your wrecked donor, right? You'll want a salvage dealer.

When this first came out and people started whining about the expense of the WRX, I did a quick google and came up with a handful of totally usable cars in a few minutes. Right prices too.

TCL1999
TCL1999 New Reader
3/2/11 6:13 p.m.

In reply to MattPerez:

What's an IGS file extension? What program does it use? Solidworks? I couldn't open it...

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 60

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0HLO9qAQJBkBwNc7WTNpo0434bIFWnEWfNL9vaCyiax6hjfpl2GzwCni3aJJOD0A