1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 60
Cr8tr
Cr8tr
3/4/11 11:25 a.m.

How do some of you guys do it? Deadline is in June and there are entries already. Like to see some of those "hot"'sketches.

TCL1999
TCL1999 New Reader
3/4/11 11:44 a.m.

So I was wondering if we are required to submit drawings for each view (top, side, isometric) with our entry? The isometric view is tricky for those of us without lots of 3D experience. Thoughts?

Msterbee
Msterbee
3/4/11 1:14 p.m.

One question: Do the drawings submitted have to be over the given templates or can we also submit perspective drawings? I'm presuming the former are mandatory and the latter are highly desirable?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/4/11 1:15 p.m.
bluej wrote: Don't think I saw this anywhere, but roughly when during the week is the cutoff for the weekly gallery? I don't know about anybody else, but some small deadlines help me move along

Friday morning, and we're aiming for a Monday announcement. If you sent it after about 9:30 this morning it will be in next week's batch of contenders.

Did I mention to everyone that it's important to have your name on the designs you submit?

Cr8tr
Cr8tr New Reader
3/4/11 1:16 p.m.

Tom, Does FF have a design language in mind i.e grill, side vent etc. When people look at FF design from 1/2 a mile away they know its an FF sports car. Thank!

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/4/11 1:19 p.m.
TCL1999 wrote: So I was wondering if we are required to submit drawings for each view (top, side, isometric) with our entry? The isometric view is tricky for those of us without lots of 3D experience. Thoughts?

Not required, but it does give a much better idea of your design when there are multiple views. Some entries have been only a side view, but I personally think that leaves too much out. (Bear in mind that I'm not a judge, just a helpful observer.)

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/4/11 1:20 p.m.
Cr8tr wrote: Tom, Does FF have a design language in mind i.e grill, side vent etc. When people look at FF design from 1/2 a mile away they know its an FF sports car. Thank!

No design language necessary but your own. Their existing products are pretty varied; the Hot Rod, Roadster, and GTM look worlds apart to me.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/4/11 1:28 p.m.
Msterbee wrote: One question: Do the drawings submitted have to be over the given templates or can we also submit perspective drawings? I'm presuming the former are mandatory and the latter are highly desirable?

At least one of the views should be on the template with your name and contact information on it. You can augment that with additional views, detailed close ups, or whatever else your heart desires as long as they're in the correct file format. (.PDF or .JPG)

While we're at it, try to keep the file sizes under control. A 300kb file is as good as a 13Mb file to the judges.

bluej
bluej HalfDork
3/4/11 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Tom Heath:

ok, so each submission can contain multiple files for the same design, we aren't limited to a single "sheet", correct?

Msterbee
Msterbee New Reader
3/4/11 2:29 p.m.

Isometric = Perspective

Technically not the same thing.

TCL1999
TCL1999 New Reader
3/4/11 2:58 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote:
TCL1999 wrote: So I was wondering if we are required to submit drawings for each view (top, side, isometric) with our entry? The isometric view is tricky for those of us without lots of 3D experience. Thoughts?
Not required, but it does give a much better idea of your design when there are multiple views. Some entries have been only a side view, but I personally think that leaves too much out. (Bear in mind that I'm not a judge, just a helpful observer.)

Yeah, I'm definitely submitting views from each direction (front, top, side) just not necessarily isometric or perspective because they are difficult to get right. Thanks!

anthoknee
anthoknee New Reader
3/4/11 5:03 p.m.

Hey guys posted my initial sketches on another thread but got no response. Hope you guys like open top roadsters.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/4/11 5:06 p.m.

I wish I had digital art talent like that!

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/11 5:15 p.m.

pffft, one on every corner.

No seriously, that has a lot of potential. Great work!

DaveSmith
DaveSmith New Reader
3/4/11 5:49 p.m.

Guys,

I saw some of the submissions today... really great. I'll be working closely with the GRM guys to help get some posted next week and send out some swag to the first brave souls! Thanks for the stoke and great questions. I dont think there are any rules that say you have to do each view (Front, Side, Rear, 1/4's etc.), just submit what you like and think is cool.

Have a great weekend and I am very grateful that we decided to ask GRM guys on this project and even more impressed with the way in which the GRM staff and community has stepped up so huge.

One more thing about this car. I have personally lead this company for 15 years and launched 6 different new cars (and 6 updated versions of those cars) and I can tell you with confidence that this will be the most successful of all of them. I'm not kidding. The competence of the design team, the design of the chassis/ruinning gear/suspension, the expertise of our suppliers, this contest and the talent it is attracting, and mostly the core concept that Jim our R&D dir developed is just a smash hit.

This car will be a giant slayer on the track and a good street car. It will deliver on the promises made. Over the last two years, thru a very challenging economy, our guys built and shipped 1008 chassis kits! More than that though, we dramatically improved our roadster, our coupe, and our GTM. Looking ahead we have some small engineering items on the docket like our LS engine install kits for our Hot Rod and the Coyote 5.0L install kits for the Mk4 to name a few, but now the full attention of FFR engineering turns to this new car. With the help of this community and contest, we will design a fittingly stunning body shape for a truly Factory Five-worthy race-capable tube steel chassis and rockin suspension. The new car will deliver on a promise that this company has been born for, and that is to use technology to deliver great performance at affordable prices... I can think of no better place to be right now than Grassroots Motorsports.

In my mind I see a guy, not too different than one of us here, building this car for less than 15 grannd and spanking the crap out of cars costing 5 times as much. This car is simply our best work yet... and if you know our line-up, thats a hell of a statement. I cant sleep at night thinking about it. Thanks for the stoke on a Friday night.

Dave Smith President Factory Five Racing, Inc.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/11 7:18 p.m.

Dave, others have said it but I would like to reiterate.

Thank you for what you do. Really. Some of us can only dream of these projects because of time, family or funding. You allow us to live vicariously through others time and time again.

brillon
brillon
3/4/11 7:33 p.m.

I have a created this quick sketch of a submission.

I have always loved the classic british road cars, from the Jaguar XK120, Triumph Spitfires and various Austins. This sketch takes inspiration from the Bugeyed Sprite. I always liked the friendly look of the Sprite it's almost comical. Just imagine a car like a Sprite with incredibly awesome handling, power-to-weight and good looks. And just as important, imagine this little car spanking a car which costs many times more!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60250753@N03/5498443222/

brillon
brillon New Reader
3/4/11 7:38 p.m.

Here's the image inline:

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
3/4/11 7:38 p.m.
brillon wrote: I have a created this quick sketch of a submission. I have always loved the classic british road cars, from the Jaguar XK120, Triumph Spitfires and various Austins. This sketch takes inspiration from the Bugeyed Sprite. I always liked the friendly look of the Sprite it's almost comical. Just imagine a car like a Sprite with incredibly awesome handling, power-to-weight and good looks. And just as important, imagine this little car spanking a car which costs many times more! http://www.flickr.com/photos/60250753@N03/5498443222/

LOVE THAT!

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
3/4/11 8:05 p.m.

Question for the judge(s). Is design X on equal footing if a) drawn with pencil, b) drawn Chip Foose style and c) some super duper 3D rendering?

Stavros
Stavros
3/4/11 8:56 p.m.

I threw this together over the week, hope you guys like it. It's heavily Porsche influenced but I don't think you''ll will mind.

Stavros
Stavros New Reader
3/4/11 9:08 p.m.

And here is an added bonus, something a little different than my other design.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/4/11 9:14 p.m.

21st century Corvair? and your blue concept is quite nice, reminds me vaguely of the new 918, I like it! were those 3D models you placed in a scene and screengrabbed, or were they digital art, or pen/pencil/paper/color, if you don't mind my asking?

Stavros
Stavros New Reader
3/4/11 9:25 p.m.
Slyp_Dawg wrote: 21st century Corvair? and your blue concept is quite nice, reminds me vaguely of the new 918, I like it! were those 3D models you placed in a scene and screengrabbed, or were they digital art, or pen/pencil/paper/color, if you don't mind my asking?

I wish I could do 3d, these were done in photoshop after I sketched up a rough sideview profile. I'm going to try and make a 3/4 view of the Halcyon on a pen and paper sketch after I get more feedback on the design. I am going to try and take advice and make revisions if needed rather than keep the design hidden till the last minute.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy New Reader
3/4/11 10:46 p.m.

Stavros,

I really like the blue one. Looks spot on what I would want to build.

I like the short rear overhang, but the templates suggest that the length of the transmission behind the rear axles might force the back end to be a bit longer.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 60

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yW5R9Y9ZUrDyslKucLyhpdSUTlPkIqMdtWwqadR19IBSlUe5kGdlVBKB229bfLFl