1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/22/23 3:50 p.m.
feature_image

Need something even more capable off-road than the F-150 Raptor? Factory Five now has a solution for your woes: The XT-1 Pre-Runner Truck kit.

Billed as more than just “a modified F-150 with fender flares and a lift kit,” the XT-1 takes a 2015-2020 F-150 and replaces the ladder frame with a tubular steel frame. It then adds in Fox …

Read the rest of the story

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/23 4:54 p.m.

Kudos to FF for thinking outside the kit car box!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/23 5:04 p.m.

Now, if they'd made this for Toyota trucks with rusty frames...

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/22/23 7:07 p.m.

I like it.  I've been a big fan of FF for over 20 years now and have been to the factory a few times for their open houses.  Great company, great community.  An FF Roadster (Cobra) is on my bucket list.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
6/22/23 8:26 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Now, if they'd made this for Toyota trucks with rusty frames...

Agreed. Part of the fun of a kit car is buying a mechanically sound drivetrain from a junk car and putting it in a new body. 

I don't know of any Raptors that meet both requirements. 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
6/23/23 12:51 a.m.

"...the performance of its XT-1 “exceeds even the most extreme Raptor-R, and is both streetable and off-road capable.”

With a dead-stock F150 drivetrain? Doubtful. Kit car companies always do this, picking and choosing which "facts" to state while ignoring other necessary changes. Far less exciting would be buying a used Raptor and just be happy, but what do I know!

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/23/23 7:05 a.m.

Raptors aren't exactly cheap donor vehicles. I don't see this being much of a success.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/23/23 7:13 a.m.

I like the concept of turning a regular truck into a Raptor-esque truck but it still just sort of looks like a debadged f150 to me.

I would think that for cheap donor purposes, they would have looked to 04-08 F150s with the guaranteed-to-rust frames.  Or the Tundra or Sequoia with similar rust problems.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/23/23 7:32 a.m.

They're using a regular F-150 as the donor, not the Raptor.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Dork
6/23/23 7:40 a.m.

The donor vehicle can be a regular 2015 to 2020 F150, not necessarily the Raptor. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/23 7:41 a.m.

That's a pretty neat truck. And actually pretty tempting.

I guess FF has a history of using Ford but I don't think I would have designed it for a Ford donor. I would have used Chevy to get all the iterations of the LS powerplant from 4.8L to 7L and their leggo-building capabilities. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/23 9:12 a.m.
kb58 said:

"...the performance of its XT-1 “exceeds even the most extreme Raptor-R, and is both streetable and off-road capable.”

With a dead-stock F150 drivetrain? Doubtful. Kit car companies always do this, picking and choosing which "facts" to state while ignoring other necessary changes. Far less exciting would be buying a used Raptor and just be happy, but what do I know!

I see where you're coming from but FF has a pretty dang solid reputation.  I remember when they said that their Cobra roadster kit built off an old 5.0 push-r0d Fox body would out perform a genuine 196X Shelby Cobra.  Turns out it really could in most cases.  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/23 9:43 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:
kb58 said:

I see where you're coming from but FF has a pretty dang solid reputation.  I remember when they said that their Cobra roadster kit built off an old 5.0 push-r0d Fox body would out perform a genuine 196X Shelby Cobra.  Turns out it really could in most cases.  

Doesn't the real raptor have like 700 hp though? Gonna be hard to make that difference up in weight savings alone.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/23 9:45 a.m.
wae said:

I like the concept of turning a regular truck into a Raptor-esque truck but it still just sort of looks like a debadged f150 to me.

I would think that for cheap donor purposes, they would have looked to 04-08 F150s with the guaranteed-to-rust frames.  Or the Tundra or Sequoia with similar rust problems.

Don't worry. For real budget work, his brother smyth will come along with a ute kit for 02 explorers or something...

A 401 CJ
6/23/23 9:55 a.m.

Not sure about the EB but the 5.0 Coyote can get its wick turned up pretty high pretty easily.  Wasn't there a dealer recently just slapping on a blower and selling them as 7 - 800 hp?  What did Cleetus' make?  Pretty near that.  

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/23/23 9:55 a.m.

That's pretty cool.

I would have gotten really excited if it were smaller. Way smaller.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/23 9:57 a.m.

I think the donor will make more sense in 10 years when the frames are rusty but the aluminum body still looks good. Around here you can find lots of cheap older trucks with rusty frames but you'll still have to replace rockers, cab corners and bed sides while you're at it.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
6/23/23 10:22 a.m.

I think its a pretty smart move.  A guy can buy a complete wrecked 2015+ F150 3.5 Ecoboost for under $10k, like this one.

https://www.copart.com/lot/55829623/salvage-2016-ford-f150-supercrew-id-boise

Looks like it needs some bodywork on the cab but the bulk of the damage would be thrown away anyway.  The 3.5 Ecoboost is a straight up ripper, even the earlier ones.  400 horse with just a canned tune, should be able to wring a reliable 500 horse out of it with a few more bits and bobs.  

The F150 cab is such a nice plate to spend time it doesnt really make sense to re-engineer a complete cab just to have all the creature comforts of a 2001 Toyota.  

A 401 CJ
6/23/23 11:27 a.m.
iansane said:

That's pretty cool.

I would have gotten really excited if it were smaller. Way smaller.

That's what she didn't say blush

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/23/23 12:12 p.m.

Their press materials said that their tube frame was actually about 100 lbs heavier than the stock frame, so no weight savings.

It's really cool but I never understood full-size pickups for serious offroad use.  Just too big for a lot of trails and situations if you're going to do the really technical stuff.  I agree with Keith that a Tacoma/Ranger sized option would have been better.  That said, I think a lot of these are destined to become mall crawlers that never leave the pavement.

A 401 CJ
6/23/23 1:30 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

Their press materials said that their tube frame was actually about 100 lbs heavier than the stock frame, so no weight savings.

It's really cool but I never understood full-size pickups for serious offroad use.  Just too big for a lot of trails and situations if you're going to do the really technical stuff.  I agree with Keith that a Tacoma/Ranger sized option would have been better.  That said, I think a lot of these are destined to become mall crawlers that never leave the pavement.

For "trails" you are spot on.  Full size doesn't work so well.  These are meant to look like and function somewhat like open desert racers.  In the desert there is no better civilian platform than a full-size pickup.  Ask Parnelli Jones.  The fist year of Baja they thought they'd be smart and use a Jeep CJ5.  Small, compact, easy to soup up, and 4 wheel drive.  He later said that if someone had set out to purposely design the worst platform possible for Baja, they would have probably arrived at the Jeep.   To run it hard you need wheelbase, track width, long travel, all the stuff that I full-size can accommodate.   And the VW guys are just VW guys.  I can't say anything else about that smiley

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
6/23/23 5:23 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

With that much width, they may be able to crawl the mall, but they'll have a heck of a time finding a parking space!

Personally I want (but probably can't afford) the prerunner version of this:

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
6/23/23 5:26 p.m.

A little inspiration:

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/23/23 5:31 p.m.

So with the GRM version of this, anyone thought about taking a Locost chassis and making it off road capable?  

Long travel front and rear suspension?   Oddly enough, the one I worked with uses the same rear suspension design as the Fox Mustang- two long lower trailing arms and two diagonal upper.  

And the core chassis would need beefed up.

But it's not that far off of what it would need to be for a 2wd off road vehicle.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
6/23/23 7:26 p.m.

From a CA resident- why not make the body a pre-75 look. Could fall under sb100 to make it street legal and badass. Lots more customer base too. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VluSILNfg5xC0EyxpSsGqvKrEgfI3ra95G1Pp5DmKXBRt2Sw07zWK9ZbWsU5bDPF