1 2 3
Mark_S
Mark_S New Reader
2/21/11 10:29 a.m.

Guys (and Gals) -

Remember, Factory Five has probably had their share of lawyers talking with Carrol Shelby's lawyers about the Cobra replica and Daytona Coupe replica, so this will probably be a unique design wrapped around the chassis they design and optimize (case in point, their 33 Hot Rod that looks like a Ford, but has bell crank front suspension and will handle with or better than most of us have!) Their take on the GT 40 looks a bit different, too.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
2/21/11 11:14 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote: And for what it's worth (I'm not on the judging panel so YMMV.) I'm hoping for a shooting brake kinda thing; Some sort of parcel shelf over the flat 4 shouldn't be impossible and would make for a much more useful package. Better yet, have the whole top as a removable panel. Like this, but with the actual possibility of buying/building one.

How about something like this then?

peter
peter Reader
2/21/11 11:15 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote:
T.J. wrote: Maybe the actual contest rules will clarify the constraints other than the wheelbase.
Count on it. There's been lots of action on this today, we're expecting full rules and such by the end of the week, maybe sooner. And for what it's worth (I'm not on the judging panel so YMMV.) I'm hoping for a shooting brake kinda thing; Some sort of parcel shelf over the flat 4 shouldn't be impossible and would make for a much more useful package. Better yet, have the whole top as a removable panel.

Damn Tom, I was hoping you guys would be the judges. Though I like the idea of a judging panel instead of internet voting.

I am having a really hard time waiting for the details to come out!

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
2/21/11 7:35 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Hasbro wrote:
Brotus7 wrote:
Mark_S wrote: What it's going to look like is the interesting thing. It's a contest and Factory Five designs the chassis and running gear and we get to draw the body. I'm kinda partial to the Ford GT 40 lines.
LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!
LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!
LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!!!

LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/21/11 7:41 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: Like this, but with the actual possibility of buying/building one.

Were they listening to "Little Deuce Coupe" at the time???

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/21/11 7:44 p.m.

Blaaaarghhhhhhhh

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/21/11 7:55 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
yamaha wrote:
Hasbro wrote:
Brotus7 wrote:
Mark_S wrote: What it's going to look like is the interesting thing. It's a contest and Factory Five designs the chassis and running gear and we get to draw the body. I'm kinda partial to the Ford GT 40 lines.
LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!
LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!
LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!!!
LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!

LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/11 8:17 p.m.
mblommel wrote:
Appleseed wrote:
yamaha wrote:
Hasbro wrote:
Brotus7 wrote:
Lamborghini Miura!!!!!!
Lamborghini Miura!!!!!!
Lamborghini Miura!!!!!!!!
Lamborghini Miura!!!!!!
Lamborghini Miura!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe you guys spelled the name of the car wrong. It's okay, I fixed it for you.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
2/21/11 9:42 p.m.

This is actually pretty exciting. I'm good with CAD, but I've never tried modeling something like a car body. Anything I could come up with would surely look like a lego car.

dj
dj Reader
2/21/11 9:56 p.m.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
2/22/11 7:41 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
mblommel wrote:
Appleseed wrote:
yamaha wrote:
Hasbro wrote:
Brotus7 wrote:
Lamborghini Miura!!!!!!
Lamborghini Miura!!!!!!
Lamborghini Miura!!!!!!
I can't believe you guys spelled the name of the car wrong. It's okay, I fixed it for you.

Yes! This! I'm really not feeling the Stratos thing, I think it's hideous. I'm sure it's great lineage but I'm not interested in lineage, I'm interested in how it looks and goes.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
2/22/11 7:44 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
mblommel wrote:
Appleseed wrote:
yamaha wrote:
Hasbro wrote:
Brotus7 wrote:
Lamborghini Miura!!!!!!
Lamborghini Miura!!!!!!
Lamborghini Miura!!!!!!

IMO, that is one of the most beautiful cars ever.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/22/11 9:34 a.m.

Aerovette anyone?

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
2/22/11 9:48 a.m.

In reply to vwcorvette:

No. It's gotta be the Miura. Man, I'd sell everything and buy that kit in a heart beat.

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer New Reader
2/22/11 10:50 a.m.

Yes, vwcorvette. Y. E. S.

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/22/11 11:20 a.m.

Miura - best looking mid-engine by far IMO. Even the 550 Spyder is a somewhat distant second.

I've always thought it is exceptionally hard to pull off a good mid-engine design...

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
2/22/11 11:36 a.m.

Maserati Merak?

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/22/11 12:03 p.m.

Ford GT70?

1962 Ford Mustang concept (the mid-engined, V4 powered one)?

Renault R5 Turbo?

or...

small, mid-engined trackday truck?

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
2/22/11 6:57 p.m.

That's why my cats name is Miura.

Joey

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
2/22/11 9:16 p.m.
Slyp_Dawg wrote: Ford GT70? 1962 Ford Mustang concept (the mid-engined, V4 powered one)? Renault R5 Turbo? or... small, mid-engined trackday truck?

I'm a big R5 fan, but I don't know how it would sell to the unwashed masses.

John Brown
2/23/11 9:01 a.m.

How I would update the Miura using salvage yard parts:

• Shorten the front overhang slightly causing more front rake and use after market New Beetle head lamps.
  • Update the rear of the car a little using after market JDM(yo!) Nissan 300ZX tail lamps.
  • Widen the top of the cabin and use donor Impreza windshield and back window 1996-2004 Chevrolet Cavalier coupe doors as donors for inner structure, regulators, side window glass.
93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/23/11 9:28 a.m.

I want a MG Metro 6R4.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/23/11 10:43 a.m.

So if this car is based on wrx mechanicals it would follow that Impreza stuff would be useful as a donor? Are the windshields and such the same or are there some more raked than others? I don't recall seeing, but are years mentioned for the donors? Might go out and get a model kit to see what's available to move around.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/23/11 11:14 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I want a MG Metro 6R4.

a 6R4 would be fun, but those things were likely tail-happy enough with AWD, imagine how terrifying it would be in a sub-2000 pound, mid-engine, RWD package capable of matching or exceeding Gr. B power outputs

under the assumption that it won't be a replica-mod of an existing design (quite possible) perhaps play upon the SHOgun idea (take a perfectly good FWD hatch and make it a MR monster) like that VW concept car does/did? something fairly low/sporty, almost like a lowish, wide, 2 door station wagon, with a nice and aggressive look to it? the Subaru engine does allow a bit more space behind the driver/passenger, and either a large amount of boot space for stuff and things, or a slightly smaller boot and a small bench seat? think about it, change up the intake a bit, move the anciliaries around to "flatten" the engine out, and you no longer have an engine that would require an engine cover at shoulder level in order to fit. I'm not sure exactly how "flat" you can get a Subaru engine, but it has to be better than a V6/V8/I-anything in that regard. and, if you don't have an engine at the front, a secondary boot or a front mount fuel tank?

John Brown
2/24/11 4:20 p.m.

FYI: When comparing the Miura to a 2006 WRX there is 1" difference in the wheelbase and overall length, 1.5" overall width... 14" in height difference ;)

From CARS

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xr6rE6qhFQrLJbZprkLSY6XO1TxwLK7GzTAdrzAnSTltgPSQuGkh25oowffXp3sy