1 2 3
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/12 11:32 a.m.

Returning for another round, the bloodied winner of the Fiat vs Alfa fight... the pretty Fiat 124 Sport Spider. A car that needs no introduction.

The new Challenger: The Triumph TR6

With a Grunty straight Six, a sexy long bonnet to cover it, and an IRS to get the power to the ground.

FIGHT!

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
3/4/12 11:36 a.m.

close but I vote Fiat

btw good job on taking over the Fight threads...

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
3/4/12 12:18 p.m.

TR6 all day, any day.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
3/4/12 12:41 p.m.

I don't imagine these cars get cross-shopped much, since "decent" and "really nice" examples of the Fiat are around $2k and $4k, respectively, while the same same examples of the TR6 are around $9.5k and $15~17k.

So given the buy-in price alone, I pick Fiat. But if both cars were free I'd probably pick the Triumph.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/4/12 12:56 p.m.

TR6 by a mile. One of the best sounding cars ever.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
3/4/12 1:03 p.m.

That reminds me, a friend of mine bought a trashed TR-6 about 20 years ago. Remarkably, the engine ran fine. He never got around to doing anything with it. Last I saw it, it was under a dirty straw-covered tarp in his Dad's barn. I wonder if it's rusted into the ground yet...

Oh, yeah. TR-6 by a freakin' mile!

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
3/4/12 2:12 p.m.
Brotus7 wrote: TR6 all day, any day.

+1

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
3/4/12 2:22 p.m.

While I dig the Fiat, I'm a huge sucker for Triumphs. TR6 for me.

Especially with a set of Mini-Lites.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
3/4/12 2:30 p.m.

... and a V8

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
3/4/12 2:45 p.m.

My friend had a tr6 that he had installed a fuel injection system on, and coil over shocks. Ok paint, it looked neat and drove well. Problem is, he died. And now it isnt running correctly. I think someone needs to tune the thing. Now his 80 year old mom is trying to sell it, and we arent sure what route to take to try getting it running right. Im sure it will sell for alot more money if its running correctly...

Joey

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/12 3:09 p.m.

looks like the fiat is in for a tough fight here

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
3/4/12 3:18 p.m.

I'd rather have the Fiat! This coming from a multiple triumph owner (TR4 in the garage now). TR6s are body on frame, narrow for the wheelbase and 1950s suspension parts.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
3/4/12 3:24 p.m.

Fiat, I love Italian styling. They may not make the most reliable cars, but they nearly always get the styling right.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
3/4/12 4:32 p.m.
joey48442 wrote: My friend had a tr6 that he had installed a fuel injection system on, and coil over shocks. Ok paint, it looked neat and drove well. Problem is, he died. And now it isnt running correctly. I think someone needs to tune the thing. Now his 80 year old mom is trying to sell it, and we arent sure what route to take to try getting it running right. Im sure it will sell for alot more money if its running correctly... Joey

Far be it from me to suggest anything bordering on impropriety, but shouldn't you buy it in it's current condition and THEN get it running correctly?

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
3/4/12 4:54 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
joey48442 wrote: My friend had a tr6 that he had installed a fuel injection system on, and coil over shocks. Ok paint, it looked neat and drove well. Problem is, he died. And now it isnt running correctly. I think someone needs to tune the thing. Now his 80 year old mom is trying to sell it, and we arent sure what route to take to try getting it running right. Im sure it will sell for alot more money if its running correctly... Joey
Far be it from me to suggest anything bordering on impropriety, but shouldn't you buy it in it's current condition and THEN get it running correctly?

that'd be the right thing ta do

jimbbski
jimbbski Reader
3/4/12 4:55 p.m.

I've always loved the TR6 and it's on my list of cars I'd buy if I won the lottery. The Fiat isn't. Not a bad car if you like rust! But it's got a nice shape and engine.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
3/4/12 4:58 p.m.

TR6!

I owned a mustard yellow 69. As mentioned it sounded wonderful, pulled pretty good, had very accurate and good feeling steering, the brakes worked pretty well, all 6'4" of me fit, the boot held a decent amount of stuff, the luggage rack looked pretty cool and worked, and the gas cap was awesome! I never had electrical problems either.

The chassis was a noodle, the cowl shake was incredible, and the rear dampers were useless 1800's contraptions derived from horse powered draw bridges. I loved it, "should have never sold it"!

Raze
Raze SuperDork
3/4/12 5:17 p.m.

Fiat.

It looks more attractive (curves in all the right place) than a TR6 (boxy)...

It costs a fraction of what a TR6 does (British car markup) when I bought mine a couple years ago and I did cross shop Fiats, MGBs, TR4s, TR6s, Austin Healeys (cheaper ones), Jensen Healeys, Opels, etc. and the Fiat kept turning up like a bad penny, and I don't regret my buy at all...

It may not have a straight six sound, but it's DOHC square I-4's sound is the reason I REMOVED the radio in mine...

As has been mentioned the top is ridiculous, 2 clips and throw, done. No folding, no worrying, no tearing, just toss and go. And this was a car designed nearly 50 years ago, guess what the only other car to figure out the top, Miata.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/4/12 6:47 p.m.

Is it the fuel injection that was installed on the European models?

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle Reader
3/4/12 6:53 p.m.

TR6. Love the look and sound.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
3/4/12 7:24 p.m.

No brainer for me. TR6.
Add sidedraft webers and the inline-6 makes a sweet sound.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/4/12 7:50 p.m.

Hmmm, no lights or rust? Rust!

Fiat FTW!

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/5/12 5:40 a.m.
EricM wrote: Fiat, I love Italian styling. They may not make the most reliable cars, but they nearly always get the styling right.

That's a sentiment I share, but...the TR6 body was penned by Michelotti.

Rust is a complete toss-up. The TR6 has a full frame which means it won't collapse in the middle but that's about the only advantage. TR6's are every bit as rust-prone as the Fiats.

While I like the idea of the six in the Triumph that lump is massively heavy, and it was outdated by at least 10 years when the car came out.

I'll pick the Fiat since I've owned one, and only have my uncle's disappointing ownership in a restored TR6 to go by.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas New Reader
3/5/12 8:07 a.m.

Of Fiats and Triumphs: I always thought they looked like where they came from.

Fiat: well-proportioned, cappuchino-sipping welterweight with a nicely primped mustache.

Triumph: beefy bar brawler with a wicked haymaker and a badly broken nose.

Being more the latter than the former (and a TR owner to boot), I'm for Triumph.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/5/12 8:27 a.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: Of Fiats and Triumphs: I always thought they looked like where they came from. Fiat: well-proportioned, cappuchino-sipping welterweight with a nicely primped mustache. Triumph: beefy bar brawler with a wicked haymaker and a badly broken nose. Being more the latter than the former (and a TR owner to boot), I'm for Triumph.

This is so well put.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gI7E0EZkEwVQqzUXxArcf4mqjceLXYQMig1vvMmnxpXP0Dtpr4gbrjHzkxvfOfhf