1 2
RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/10/24 2:15 p.m.

Where could one start looking for a used 2 wheel pull behind weekend event trailer?

Local Craig's List, Autotrader and Penny Saver are not a good option it would seem.

Thanks

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/10/24 2:30 p.m.

Racingjunk.com has a lot of trailer ads, although they're probably most for enclosed.

IME, cheap used trailers usually have worn out tires, bearings, brakes, need decks, etc.  You don't often save much vs buying new.

ojannen
ojannen GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/10/24 2:55 p.m.

I would check your local autocross facebook group.  People buy and sell the trailers as they switch classes.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
7/10/24 3:16 p.m.

2 wheel?  2 wheel car hauler trailers aren't common anymore.  The few I've seen date back to earlier days when little sports cars didn't weigh much.

RacingComputers
7/10/24 4:09 p.m.

In reply to bludroptop :

Looking for a tow behind for extra tires, tools cooler and etc, for a weekend event.

Thanks

RacingComputers
7/10/24 4:10 p.m.

Appreciate the input.  Had not thought about Local autocross FB Page.

This group has the answers !!!!!!!!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/24 6:38 p.m.

If you can't find a cheap used one, they aren't all that expensive to make.  Harbor Freight trailer, gear box from Tractor Supply, some plywood and some black pipe and fittings from Home Depot.  You make two "spools" with the black pipe for the tires to sit on, flat.  

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/24 6:56 p.m.

FBM works for me, but it can be spotty depending on where you are.

Govdeals.com
Govplantet.com

Those are some government auctions that usually have some great trailers, but you kinda have to wait for the right one, bid, and possibly travel a bit to get it.

I think it's important to know what all you want to carry.  I always suggest going a bit bigger.  Trailers are like garages.  Always go a bit bigger than you think you need.  There will always be a pit bike, fender, or engine that you find for a bargain and have to bring home.  There will also be that one time when you want to buy pavers for a patio, lumber for a renovation, or transport a motorcycle.  Having a trailer one size bigger is always a handy thing.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/24 7:04 p.m.

Oh.... also.  You want big tires.  If you get a trailer with a 1000-lb axle, you're getting 1" bearings and 4.80-8" tires.  Tiny bearings + small diameter tires = yearly maintenance/replaced.  If you get a 3000-lb axle, you're probably getting 5.30-12" tires and 1-3/8" bearings.  The bearing speed is WAAY better.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/10/24 7:39 p.m.

I will allow that the Harbor Freight 40x48 with 12" tires tows very well at 100mph with probably over its full rated load on it... smiley

Then I thought to check tire pressure.  I normally run the tires fairly low because it normally just carries four mounted rally tires and a big floor jack.  With several engines and a Contico box full of transmissions and engine parts, and other stuff loaded on top Clampett style, it needed more air...

RacingComputers
7/10/24 10:14 p.m.

Thanks again everyone

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
7/11/24 12:05 a.m.

Check the recent thread where the guy built his own. Doubt you'll find as good a deal on a NOS torsion axle, but a small single axle is the perfect place for torsion axle, or maybe even stubs. 
there is a mechanic/engineer site I'll try to find that sells plans, and also has TONs of great free tech. 
A HF trailer is an ok start, at about half price. But strictly a starter kit, so start from scratch. 
As Curtis said, 1" spindles/bearings, and small tires = yuck. And the HF trailers use 1"spindles on a sheet metal U "axle. Even on a 1" spindle, I use the 12" or 13" tires, to be kind to the bearings!

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
7/11/24 12:26 a.m.

Cool site

Follow this guys advice, and for your simple needs, don't need to buy any plans from him. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/11/24 12:39 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

What is interesting is that the bearings for the HF unit are quite significantly larger than the wheel bearings on, say, my old Golf, or my RX-7s.  And those cars both ran on 205/60-13 tires that are only 10% larger in diameter than a 4.80x12 tire.... so the HF trailer at 60 is like one of millions of other cars running at 66-70.

Yeah, they aren't big mammajamma parts, but in context, it's plenty good enough.

By fuzzy memory, the HF trailer had 25mm ID bearings.  They were an oddball size but easy to cross reference.  My Golf had 29mm ID inners and 17mm ID outers.  The RX-7 has 28mm inners and 17mm outers.  Tiny little things.  But they hold up 1200-1300lb for a hundred thousand miles plus...

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
7/11/24 9:57 a.m.

I've never had a 1" spindle fail. Or 25mm. I've seldom had to replace bearings, but do re pack them time to time. My dad even kept the 8" rims - although he did go to the larger 5.20-8 tire, for load. 
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Spindles the HF "erector set" comes with... the sheetmetal "U" for axle is junk, the tongue attachment is piss poor, and a tad short, and the corners need gussets. But if they were half the price, it be an ok starting point. Or, for the price they want, buy a proper axle (torsion or spring - 1" or 25mm is plenty, ) and follow the advice of a guy like the posted link. 
Never  said the 1" (or 25mm) was not sufficient. 
'Course, I also have never towed at 100 mph, and never will! But not do to fear of too small a bearing!!!

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/11/24 10:22 a.m.

Many thousands of kilometers, and several sets of tires on my bike trailer with 1" spindles, and 8" wheels. I've replaced the bearings once because the seal failed, water got in, and rusted one bearing, and in this rainy weather, spent yesterday rebuilding it, but not replacing the bearings. I've had it 14 years. For what you're doing a HF trailer is perfectly fine - and a pretty darn good deal

RacingComputers
7/11/24 5:22 p.m.

Great Input everyone    Seems that here are a couple of HF trailers with BIG tyres locally.  Will be investigating this weekend.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/12/24 9:43 a.m.

I feel like a new HF trailer is going to be a better idea here. By the time you get a used one road worthy and outfitted the way you want, you will have spent more than the cost of a new one, and you'll still have a used trailer. 

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
7/12/24 10:29 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I feel like a new HF trailer is going to be a better idea here. By the time you get a used one road worthy and outfitted the way you want, you will have spent more than the cost of a new one, and you'll still have a used trailer. 

This.  I once bought a used HF for $75, then started adding up the costs to refurbish it.

I put it on the curb with a sign that said "Free Trailer" and bought a new one instead.

Top tip - reinforce the tongue bar... seems to be the weakest point on these.

(I used a brick as a wheel chock for the free trailer... the trailer was gone within an hour and the bastards took my brick!)

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
7/12/24 10:45 a.m.

There was one for sale on the corvetteforum....  either under autocross and road racing classifieds (most likely) or c6 parts for sale

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
7/12/24 12:54 p.m.

In reply to bludroptop :

Did you buy a new HF erector set,  or a better built small trailer? 
The tongue on the HF is bolted to a piece of thin formed sheetmetal, with two metric bolts smaller than 3/8 grade 2. 
Some folks think because theirs worked that's ok. I have had a tongue of a poorly made snowmobile trailer rip loose in I 95. 
And it was attached better!

No fun. 
But hey. The safety chains and hitch stayed on van, just fine!

a free HF trailer. The tongue and sheetmetal "U" axle were to rusty to use. Still have the hubs and 25 mm spindles, somewhere. 

Thats the two places the sheetmetal tongue bolts to sheetmetal "structural beams". Total of 4 soft metal small bolts, with non locking nuts. 

True. Plenty do not fail. At $150-200, it's a good starter set. But not at new pricing. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
7/12/24 1:12 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

A friend of mine pulled a HF tire trailer on the interstate through "Mexico" coming back from the concrete beach he mounted a go-pro on the toolbox to see what things looked like at 135 mph.  Apparently the trailer is airborne a lot of the time at really high speeds.

Years later I bought the same trailer (and wheels and bearings) from him for $100.  Then it went to the guys who bought my CSP Miata who still use it to haul tires and spares all over the region for hillclimbs, autocrosses, and time trials.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
7/12/24 1:26 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

Yep. As I say, they do work. At $100, not rusted out, I'd buy one also. 
But, they seldom cost $100. 

I too, have looked in the rear view mirror, and seen my trailer tires a foot (or more) off the road. Once in NYC at 35-40 mph, due to the piss poor road maintenance. Other stories as well. 

Folks also run bald tires, never change brake fluid, don't repair worn out suspension, and drive with rusted out frames, all the time, and never have problem. 
99% of folks the walk under a suspended load, or use non grounded extension cords don't get hurt either. I personally, don't do those things; but everyone hast to make their own decision. Facts from both sides help. 

RacingComputers
7/13/24 3:09 p.m.

Love this site

Thanks

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/13/24 4:11 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Been fine... started new and I painted it a different color before I assembled it.  Replace all the supplied nuts with Nylocs and buy a box of washers because it doesn't come with any.

I have a mind block about not using washers.  Hex heads turn into tearing tools.  I treated the trailer as a partial kit that also gave me an easy way to title and register it.  I mean, even aftermarket cylinder heads usually need different valve stem seals because even name brand heads come with garbage white nylon ones, engine blocks need to be gone over, etc.  A trailer is no different, it is a starting point but not a finished product.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KuD6P4h3cIHRR7PyszVWtBDHvimkq43MEJ9ixzHOj1Pj2KqgI7XZBiEVJ5IyBzIH