1 2
Don Fip
Don Fip GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/23/23 1:16 p.m.

The FK8 is a great platform, hope you have fun on your first track day!

I had mine for about a year and half and was more concerned about bending/damaging the stock wheels so went with a 19in setup.  Sold the car a few months back and thought about getting another one or the new FL5, but ended up going a different direction.  Haven't gotten around to prepping the wheels and tires for sale, but let me know if you are interested and I can take more pictures.  You know, just in case you catch the track bug lol!

Motegi MR924 19in +53 offset

Continental ECS 245/35 - couple thousand street miles and less than 10 track days in novice/intermediate groups

NorthernCTR
NorthernCTR New Reader
4/4/23 1:52 p.m.

Hello everyone. 

In case anyone was wondering I ended up snagging a set of FL5 Civic Type R wheels, 19x9.5 ET60 + a set of Extreme Contact Sport 02's in 255/35 R19. 

I've also come to my sense's and realized its probably not a good idea to take my daily to a HPDE. Going to look for an older second car I can dedicate to HPDE's.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 New Reader
4/4/23 1:55 p.m.

In reply to NorthernCTR :

people take their dailys to track days all the time.  And a type r is made for that kind of stuff

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/23 2:08 p.m.

The only reason it may not be a good idea to take your daily to a HPDE is if you can't do without a car and don't have backup transportation, in which case sleeping at night could also be difficult cheeky

If you're not confident enough a driver to be reasonably sure you won't ball up the car, that could be another valid reason. Calabogie's a little low on runoff room but has it where it counts, more than could be said for Mosport. The very deceptively named "Toronto" motorsport park in the Niagara region (slightly closer to Bufffalo NY than Toronto cheeky) is practically danger-free in all but one of the corners (which has a Wall of Champions), that may be a better venue for a first track day but it would be a long enough drive from Ottawa that it's not exactly practical to do from home in one day. Shannonville could be another safer option with less hours of driving involved.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/4/23 2:13 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

The only reason it may not be a good idea to take your daily to a HPDE is if you can't do without a car and don't have backup transportation, in which case sleeping at night could also be difficult cheeky

The conventional wisdom is that you should never track a car unless you can afford to stuff it into a wall and walk away from it.

Track day insurance may change this, but it's not cheap either.

NorthernCTR
NorthernCTR New Reader
4/4/23 2:24 p.m.

I did call around - Hagerty doesn't offer track day insurance in Canada. OpenTrack will only cover you in Canada with their yearly subscription (~6K USD/year). 

The reason I did a u-turn from taking the CTR is this:

:https://www.thedrive.com/news/33607/toronto-motorsports-parks-first-post-lockdown-track-day-ends-in-crashes-punches-fire

I'm not too worried about my own driving skills and staying within my limits. I've got no problem listening to the instructor and going slow and letting everyone pass me. Not that people in this sport are generally irresponsible or anything, its just with the car market right now losing the main car would hurt doubly so. If that makes sense.  

So I'm falling back to plan B. Looking for an older NC Miata, M54 Z4,  E90 328i, or E82 328i laugh

**Nothing against the event I was planning to enter. I'm sure they are responsable and take every precaution**

GameboyRMH
4/4/23 2:35 p.m.
NorthernCTR said:

The reason I did a u-turn from taking the CTR is this:

:https://www.thedrive.com/news/33607/toronto-motorsports-parks-first-post-lockdown-track-day-ends-in-crashes-punches-fire

I've been told to avoid track days at TMP organized by the track itself for the crowd they attract and the poor organization of the event...events organized by other clubs are fine.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/23 2:57 p.m.

As a veteran of TMP open lapping events the quality of driver can vary a lot from absolute first timers to drivers with lots of experience. They were the first thing to open in Ontario when Covid stuff first started to lift, combined with nice weather it was guaranteed to be a E36 M3 show and did not disappoint. I was out there a couple of weeks later and it was great, they'd really clamped down on the bad stuff after the bad press. I know I've gained a lot of valuable experience there over the years though improving as a driver, keeping emotions in check, making good decisions about who I want to share a track with, developing a car and just building that awareness of what is happening all around the track while driving. I'll be back for more as soon as the car is ready to go.

For a first timer though I would definitely go with a more organized event with in car instructors, you'll get so much more out of it as a novice, progress quicker, go faster and be safer so wins all around.  From Ottawa Calabogie, Shannonville and the Mosport DDT are all great first tracks to try (I think there are some good options in Quebec as well for smaller tracks too besides Mont Tremblant which is more advanced).

The car thing is on you, everyone has their own comfort level on track with what they are willing to risk. As a novice with an in car instructor at a well run event I think the risk would be low but strange things can still happen. 

GameboyRMH
4/4/23 3:01 p.m.

^Good point on Mosport DDT, pretty safe track, in the same ballpark as Shannonville in terms of risk, with more opportunities for instruction.

NorthernCTR
NorthernCTR New Reader
4/4/23 10:42 p.m.

All of your feedback is amazing. Thank you very much. I'm actually not from the Ottawa area either, but I have no problem travelling + renting a hotel room for a HPDE weekend. I'll keep all this in mind :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4sXJXVpvExUWIQ9p1WrEeT7HxiQPNprAryYcqET5w20OzbNNjNgFPTlasUoktVBa