1 2
grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/27/22 8:35 p.m.

Have y'all never seen the auction bro caravans? 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/27/22 9:03 p.m.

I've done it many times, but only short distances, and NOT at highway speeds!

Although, there was one time...

My first car. 1966 VW Bus. My Mom helped me tow it home- about 15 miles. She drove the tow vehicle. 

The REALLY sketchy part was the bus had NO BRAKES!  I hung a spare tire on the back of my Mom's Malibu Station Wagon, and every time she stopped I ran into her back end against the tire. 

My Mom was a saint. I don't love my kids THAT much!

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
6/27/22 10:01 p.m.

I wouldn't  advise it but we dragged one of my old trucks home this way.......60 miles.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
6/27/22 10:18 p.m.

Lol, been there - done that. On the interstate. CRX. You can run the chain through a length of fence post pipe between the vehicles to  add a bit of stopping power to the equation, like a ghetto tow bar.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/27/22 10:39 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And that's I-4 heading west towards Orlando. 

Because of course it is.  That's probably not even the craziest or least safe thing you saw on that drive. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/27/22 10:52 p.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

Was your friend named Eric M?

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
6/28/22 12:11 a.m.

Been there done that. Ford Explorer towing a 1947 Ford coup all back roads.

The person being towed has to remember that he is the breaks for both cars and to keep the tow strap tight. 

outasite
outasite HalfDork
6/28/22 11:25 a.m.

I did this quite often in the 70s/80s. Then I used AAA before they changed the rules and requirements for towing. 

The experience that came to mind immediately involved a 60s era manual transmission box van being driven by my inexperienced BIL towing a bug eye Sprite using a short (15 foot) rope. We were on a twisty hilly NJ rural road and he was driving to fast for the job at hand. I could not see anything except to back of the van. I rode the brakes the entire distance using the feeble horn in attempt to get him to stop and discuss the procedure. It didn't happen. I never flat towed with him again.

MiniDave
MiniDave New Reader
6/28/22 11:38 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

No, the late Tom K...

I flat tow classic Minis all over the US using a tow bar and a plate I made - works well but I think to be legal you're supposed to have a brake controler in the towed car.....I don't know if the weight of the car being towed makes any difference to the legal requirement.

I do know that even with a tow car with terrific (BMW) brakes, getting even a 1500lb Mini whoa'd up quickly is not easy.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/28/22 12:11 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

Good question. The other day–sorry, didn't get a photo–I saw a minivan towing a full-size pickup via a tow dolly. It wasn't on the highway, though. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/28/22 1:07 p.m.
MiniDave said:

In reply to Duke :

No, the late Tom K...

Ah, thanks.  In the late '80s I knew a Citroen enthusiast in St Louis named Eric Mack.

I didn't figure there could be too many Citroen enthusiasts in St. Louis.

MiniDave
MiniDave New Reader
6/28/22 1:43 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

This was in the late 60's!  wink

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/28/22 6:46 p.m.

Back in the 80's I bought a White 3100 18' box truck and had a friend tow it with a Dodge power wagon. The Dodge struggled and started to overheat so I fired up the truck and pushed him 35 miles to my shop.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ErfP1P5AybVL1Lt6I8Icc1ScvlKxyMoS2c3NEloLdfcbx8i5eDnkWjbFObED89qY