Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/27/08 5:09 p.m.

I suspect your slowdown is primarily caused by slow rendering speeds rather than the database or site itself being particularly slow.

If you haven't already, try going to your profile and toggling the collapse topic preview checkbox so it doesn't show that. I changed some things around so that it only sends that info if you explicitly want it (rather than sending it to everyone and hiding it from you if you don't want it). In other words, turning that off means you get MUCH leaner pages. There's less requested from the database, and less your browser has to figure out how to render. Also, if you're not logged in, you don't get those at all.

Also, you may want to consider turning off the post preview. I've seen that seem sluggish on some machines. It catches up with you, but it can make things feel slow.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
5/27/08 5:51 p.m.

Thanks! That did speed things up quite a bit.

bluej
bluej Reader
5/27/08 6:06 p.m.

damn, tim. i was expect some trick alignment numbers:idea:

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/27/08 6:28 p.m.

Sorry to disappoint.

minimac
minimac Dork
5/27/08 7:01 p.m.

Something else, I've noticed is that when I go to log in to post,(if reading a thread) I have to start all over again instead of just being able to post. Not complaining , mind you, just an observation.....I still have times where I cannot access the board, some thing about an upstream something or other proxy thingy problem-whatever that all means. Usually it's alright though, in an hour or two.

And I was hoping there was going to be a miata for sale.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/28/08 9:28 p.m.

Just bumping this up since it seems to help. (Or at least I think it did.)

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
5/29/08 8:29 a.m.
minimac wrote: I still have times where I cannot access the board, some thing about an upstream something or other proxy thingy problem-whatever that all means. Usually it's alright though, in an hour or two.

I've had that too.

I thought it was just internet traffic or something even tho I'd never seen it before.

P90Puma
P90Puma Reader
5/29/08 8:39 a.m.
carguy123 wrote:
minimac wrote: I still have times where I cannot access the board, some thing about an upstream something or other proxy thingy problem-whatever that all means. Usually it's alright though, in an hour or two.
I've had that too. I thought it was just internet traffic or something even tho I'd never seen it before.

Same here.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
5/29/08 9:32 a.m.

I've noticed, actually, that this site is about twice as fast as the old one. Is that normal?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/29/08 9:35 a.m.

It varies between amazingly fast and painfully slow. I think it's related to load, and I think the proxy errors are related to that -- basically the server throwing up its hands and saying, "forget it". I'm working on it.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/08 1:19 p.m.

I'm still getting slow page loads, even after confirming Topic Preview was turned off.

I've noticed that sometimes it almost seems slower when I use my browser's back button, than it does when I click on a link. Does that make sense to anyone?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/29/08 1:32 p.m.

I'm working on it.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/08 2:44 p.m.

Thanks Tim!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5FbJ1aTY7vxObIlLr5X4FJHO1z30prJI6hezsMPqBNHjZZOGaMIn2NkfqecpJ3gs