1 2 3
maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/2/09 2:31 a.m.

well aparently the "fits all Mustangs 1987-2004" claim on my shocks was a vague approximation. the opening was 2 tenths too tight, once I fixed that, the mounting holes were too close together, and the bottom of the shock interfered with the steering knuckles...it no fit, gotta buy new ones.

not in the best mood right now.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/2/09 8:54 a.m.

Which shocks were those?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/2/09 3:13 p.m.

Koni Reds I bought used off of Ebay...dunno what they were on, but "mustang shocks are mustang shocks"...

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/2/09 3:14 p.m.

oh, and we got some KYB GR2's today as a temporary/semi permanent fix to the issue.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/3/09 10:12 p.m.

apparently we didn't sacrifice enough goats to the A4LD gods...the stupid thing wouldn't turn engine power into forward motion...so I had to run the HS Saturn for the time being....maybe next month...

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/4/09 8:29 a.m.

A bunch of my friends run the 2.3 in their Outlaw Modified circle track cars. They put out some serious horsepower but they are also very built...lightened crank, performance rods and pistons, decked block, Esslinger aluminum head, Esslinger intake and highly modified 2BBL carbs. They have also run the stock head (albiet modified) in single plug form. There are two options for this head, round and oval port. I can't remember which is better but I'll find out. One of the big weaknesses of the stock head are the cam towers. They tend to break with a hot cam and high rpm so their engine builder welds straps onto the cam towers for extra support.

You can often find the Esslinger intakes on Ebay for not too much $$$ and some guys use the turbo Mustang intake but the jury is out on whether or not it works all that well.

They also run the 4 sp transmission but are really only using 4th the majority of the time. I do know that the shift linkage in this tranny is weak as they have broken on a number of occasions under hard shifting (bent forks). With constant shifting the 5sp is probably the way to go.

I'll try and post some engine picts when I can find them on my hard drive...

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
5/5/09 8:29 a.m.

serious HP in the 2.3 is along the lines of nar 200 at the crank and pushing 8500 rpm. Its a scary engine and usuall they EAT cams. Durations are stupid excessive and still a flat tapet.

yes, I plan to put something just shy of this together ;)

The turbo head has no real advantage to it. It is a D-port just like the others in the line up. However, stay away unless they have magged the head prior since the heat will crack them around the valves. If you spend 14 days porting its iron baby you can cut it out to a oval port ad get some decent numbers on them. The Old Rangers had a circle port and can supposedly make better numbers with.

Though if you have a few hundred bucks, call esslinger and get their SVO head. Its a all aluminum d-port head that has much more capability in it. Just check in the EP guide to make sure that is legal, it is in CP, but EP is a little different in that regard.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/5/09 10:29 a.m.

The SVO head is legal, but I will have to check if you can use "alternative materials."

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
5/5/09 12:51 p.m.

I dont think you can in EP. I think that they have limitations on porting also?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/6/09 4:03 p.m.

An update on the car.

I moved to Atlanta a few months ago, and unfortunately I could not bring the car with me at the time. I am going to be getting it down here over Christmas when I go back to visit the family.

As some of you know, I got a new Trac Lok 7.5 axle a thicker SN95 GT rear bar, and a used but useable set of Avon slicks. the T5 swap is happening this winter, and hopefully next season, we will finally have some fun with it. that A4LD was garbage.

If anyone has some good used Steeda or similar performance stuff, gimme a shout.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/6/09 6:10 p.m.

oh, I got a G-Trac bar for the front K-member on ebay for like 14 bucks, too.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
12/6/09 7:10 p.m.

It would probably bump you out of your class but isn't the Volvo 2.3 16v head a relatively simple bolt on? You can score complete cars with that head for $500 and drive them home!

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/6/09 7:14 p.m.

yeah, the 16v head bumps me to XP...I think...if not a Mod class.

either way, those are places I don't want to go...yet.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CWLU4h1HGPPBj0wrjDRlYrTiJE4PaF9HtNLt18VVtAvKUzz9Hc3tqh1wX0KNShqc