1 2
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/10/16 8:22 p.m.

So I am looking at a ford 5.4l for a potential project. The plan is to buy an entire vehicle (Expedition or Navigator).

So the main question here is whether the DOHC is that much better than the SOHC. Also, do PI heads really make a huge difference?

The factory power is

DOHC (300hp) SOHC PI (260hp) SOHC NPI (230hp)

They tend to go up in price with the power. This might be a challenge build so cheap is best, but is it worth it to cheap out for either of the SOHC engines.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
11/10/16 8:34 p.m.

DOHC is definitely better, but parts are more expensive.

It's my understanding that the PI heads and intake are the way to go of you go With oem parts. Motorsport SVO and some aftermarket companies make better heads, but they are expensive.

The difference between the 5.4 and the 4.6 PI motors is pretty small. If it were my build, I'd find an aluminum block SOHC PI motor (I think the explorers had them) and I would port the upper plenum, and add whatever power adder I could afford.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
11/10/16 9:08 p.m.

I seem to recall some years back that putting the DOHC 5.4 heads on a 4.6 block was the first step of a really serious modular build.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/10/16 9:30 p.m.

Ok, so I should take a PI 4.6l over a NPI 5.4L? that seems counter intuitive as that is 50ci of displacement I am losing

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
11/10/16 9:42 p.m.

5.4 weighs more...

dropstep
dropstep Dork
11/10/16 9:59 p.m.

Single cam 4.6 with pi heads and add boost. The 5.4 is a better starting point if budget isnt an issue and you dont mind the extra nose weight.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
11/10/16 10:08 p.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote: 5.4 weighs more...

This.

The 5.4 SOHC weighs about 100lbs more, makes basically the same power (but more low end torque), and is physically larger

A cheap power adder on a 4.6 can make more than enough power to kill its self if you turn the wick up.

My logic, which this isn't my build or money, is that I'd use the cheaper, lighter, smaller motor, and then hop it up.

Unless the chassis is ridiculously heavy and you need the extra 30-50tq, i don't think the 4.6 would leave you wanting.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
11/10/16 10:47 p.m.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but Coyotes have the same bell housing bolt pattern. What with all the videos of Mustangs running into things (cars, people, buildings, etc.) I'm thinking you can probably pull a good one out of a wrecked car for not too much.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/11/16 7:00 a.m.

Long term, a coyote is definitely an option. Just not for challenge money.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/11/16 7:02 a.m.

What about controlling the automatic if I run a megasquirt on the engine? I know I can use a microsquirt but that is another $300.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/11/16 7:12 a.m.

The other thing to consider is the spark plug debacle(s). The early SOHC mods couldn't keep the plugs in, the latter ones wouldn't let the plug out. The DOHC engines never had those issues, or the mods after 2009(?).

Opti
Opti HalfDork
11/11/16 12:26 p.m.

If you want cheap 4v heads look for lincol intech. I know they came in the suvs and they are much cheaper around here. Dont know if they are as good as the 4v cobra and mach 1 heads but something to look into.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
11/11/16 12:33 p.m.
Cactus wrote: This probably isn't what you want to hear, but Coyotes have the same bell housing bolt pattern. What with all the videos of Mustangs running into things (cars, people, buildings, etc.) I'm thinking you can probably pull a good one out of a wrecked car for not too much.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/11/16 12:38 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: What about controlling the automatic if I run a megasquirt on the engine? I know I can use a microsquirt but that is another $300.

Household light switches (this is a GM but id guess you could rig something similar).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozbWf_QsPrw

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/11/16 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Robbie:

I remember seeing that somewhere. Completely forgot about it. For a challenge car, that would be perfectly fine

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/11/16 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Opti:

That is kind of my best bet is the Navigator with the initech 5.4l.

I am not sure if the lessor weight of the 4.6l aluminum is worth it up front. Long term, totally.

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
11/11/16 4:31 p.m.

Cheapest power from a mod motor would be way easier to piece together IMHO.

Non PI 5.4+ 2v PI heads+ BBK "tuned" short headers($75 C-list)+ MS+ Tremec 3650(cheaper than controlling the auto)

The 5,4 is a weight penalty but would have a way fatter torque curve than the 4.6, especially after the PI head swap. The Tremec would not need any electronic control.

If there was any chance of a power adder I would stick with the 4.6, as the 5.4 has the same rods that bend at the same threshold.

The Non-PI shortblock and the PI heads will up the compression. Gasket match it as it goes together and would be a fun settup.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
11/11/16 5:22 p.m.

I think there are better sources of HP than a Mod motor.

Building a stroker 460 right now.

Will
Will UltraDork
11/11/16 5:54 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: What about controlling the automatic if I run a megasquirt on the engine? I know I can use a microsquirt but that is another $300.

If you're on a challenge budget, what do you want to do that the stock Ford ECU can't do?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/11/16 7:46 p.m.

In reply to Will:

I don't know what sort of tuning can be done on the cheap. What are my options and how far will they go?

Will
Will UltraDork
11/11/16 9:14 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Moates will do anything you want to do and is the go-to for the Ford tuners I know, including the guy who tuned my Supercoupe.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/12/16 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Will:

That is nice. I think that covers all my needs if it will work with ecus up to 04

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/14/16 7:48 p.m.

Is it possible to run a 5.0L (coyote) on the ecu from one of these trucks? I have been looking and I don't know if they have that much flexibility or similar enough connectors on the harness to make it worth the effort?

bigmackloud
bigmackloud Reader
11/29/16 12:08 p.m.

I guess it depends on exactly what your goals are from the motor. Def get the PI heads, better starting point. The DOHC make more power more easily, but make everything exponentially more expensive.

I made 615 rwhp from my SOHC 4.6L in my 2000 Mustang GT. 17psi from my Vortech. Forged everything. PI heads but heavily ported. I ran an SCT switch chip that I could load multiple tunes on.

Fair warning though, mod motors are not cheap to build. and they need boost to make big HP.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
11/29/16 2:08 p.m.

So plenty of opinions on DOHC vs SOHC, and PI vs NPI, but no mention of 3V yet...Any particular reason?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cmqy3ppbG8Ok0cvEurVzMHBU2xSFs4LYni9JiiI8Khz32DzMxVlu9sGBSA1ktvvC