1 2 3
DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/14/14 7:39 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
DaveEstey wrote: The engine is this is a worked over 302. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIPN3V_pRvU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgnbHVZRfTU
I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about *lumpy* engines...

That's because it wasn't idling haha

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
12/14/14 9:23 a.m.

I once owned a ' 70 Stang with a moderately worked 302, tri-Y headers and rumbling mufflers. It had a Carter AFB 625 carb, and a comp cams cam (I think it was a 268H, but it was a long time ago). I wouldn't have called it nasty, but it wasn't polite either.

The combination was a poor match for the rest of the drive train, it should have had a stall converter and/or shorter rear gearing. It had a 3.00 rear, I think it needed a 3.50 to be happy.

It was kind of weak off the line, but it ripped from 2500 up to 6000 RPM. It did however manage to return about 22 mpg highway.

I think with EFI tuning tricks and the right gearing, the OP can get most of what he wants.

One word of advice based on my own experience , loud cars are a PITA to drive cross country, use earplugs.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/14 9:29 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: One word of advice based on my own experience , loud cars are a PITA to drive cross country, use earplugs.

It's illegal to drive with earplugs, in many jurisdictions. I think that is ridiculous, since the earplug experiment of 2014 led me to the conclusion that driving with earplugs left me alert and not exhausted even after 15-16 hours of driving.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
12/14/14 12:35 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: One word of advice based on my own experience , loud cars are a PITA to drive cross country, use earplugs.

I've driven a very loud 76 Cutlass cross country. Gutted interior, big Lunati cam, Mondello ported heads, Hooker super comp headers, 3" exhaust into Hooker aero chamber mufflers with turn downs before the rear axle. Drove it from Cincinnati to Altoona PA and back non stop with no interstates. By far the most memorable epic drive I've been on yet. Loud is kinda the point.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/14/14 12:50 p.m.

You sound like a man who could use a Fox Mustang.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
12/14/14 12:52 p.m.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
12/14/14 12:57 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

The car has been decided...

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/14/14 1:01 p.m.

Lol

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
12/14/14 1:06 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: In reply to The_Jed: The car has been decided...

tough to not agree with a Daytona Coupe..........

f6sk
f6sk Reader
12/14/14 1:12 p.m.

Get a cutout kit. You can run smoothly, quietly, and economically across the country and then be loud and nasty with the flick of a switch.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/14 1:34 p.m.
f6sk wrote: Get a cutout kit. You can run smoothly, quietly, and economically across the country and then be loud and nasty with the flick of a switch.

Loud =/ nasty. Loud is just loud.

A quiet engine with a loud exhaust sounds bad. A nasty engine being plumbed through a quietesque exhaust kills a lot of unpleasant sounds but the harsh staccato comes through - THAT is awesome.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
12/14/14 3:58 p.m.
Knurled wrote: You won't get 1 and 2. Sorry. That badass idle happens because the engine is stumbling over itself trying to stay alive and mostly not failing at choking on its own exhaust gases.

There is efi programming for this. Its called "cyclic idle" and it can be used in conjunction with having the tb plate open 20-30% at all times. Only reason to do this is for anti-lag, but it does make the car sound gnarly.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/14/14 4:47 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

Yah, one of the guys I rallycross with has that setup on his WRX. I was thinking of something a little more radical than that, with increased ignition timing vs. retarded timing.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
12/14/14 5:00 p.m.
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/14/14 5:41 p.m.
oldtin wrote: For reference - what a daytona coupe sounds like

Because berkeley you Ferrari.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/14/14 7:00 p.m.

Sort of on topic, LMK when you want to do this, the ex challenge Mustang wants to do this event as well.

It has plenty of engine

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
12/14/14 7:41 p.m.

This is a dream that has stuck with me for a very long time. I've let every dream I've had fall by wayside due to the reality of life getting in the way. I'm keeping this one and holding on to it.

As far as a timeline, well that depends on my ability to direct money into this foolish dream. I'm 35 now, I'd say a conservative goal for completing the car will be by age 50. With money being the single biggest hurdle.

I see the Factory Five kit as good value for the money. I like the way the chassis is engineered so that's the way I'm going to go. But being good value for money does not mean that it is in any way affordable for me at this time. I'm setting a goal of five years to have the funds to buy the kit. That leaves me ten years to come up with the funds to complete it and once that is done I have to come up with the funds for the trip itself.

So, looks like around the year 2034 or so

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/14/14 7:44 p.m.

I might have to go before then, I will be 71 in 2034 Berk me

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
12/14/14 11:37 p.m.

Well, I could change the car to something more obtainable for my limited funds.

I've always wanted to do a NASCAR replica from the mid sixties through the mid eighties. That could be done for a lot less. I don't really think it would detract a whole lot from the experience.

The whole point is something just barely civilized enough. Like Two Lane Blacktop.

Or because I've been watching a lot of early Bathurst races, I could do up an early falcon like they ran in 65...dammit I'm thinking again.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/15/14 1:11 a.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: This is a dream that has stuck with me for a very long time. I've let every dream I've had fall by wayside due to the reality of life getting in the way. I'm keeping this one and holding on to it. As far as a timeline, well that depends on my ability to direct money into this foolish dream. I'm 35 now, I'd say a conservative goal for completing the car will be by age 50. With money being the single biggest hurdle. I see the Factory Five kit as good value for the money. I like the way the chassis is engineered so that's the way I'm going to go. But being good value for money does not mean that it is in any way affordable for me at this time. I'm setting a goal of five years to have the funds to buy the kit. That leaves me ten years to come up with the funds to complete it and once that is done I have to come up with the funds for the trip itself. So, looks like around the year 2034 or so

I have the exact same dream in nearly the exact same car. I told my wife about it on one of the occasions when I was thinking of getting rid of my white Lincoln for something more practical.

It has the running gear I need to get a Factory Five kit on the road. I've never been one for convertibles so the 65 Coupe it is! Except mine would be pretty close to stock engine wise and most likely an automatic.

We're about the same age, so we have the same time table... I'm in, barring any unforeseen disasters.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/15/14 8:32 a.m.

My god! I've never had that feeling with my pants on before

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/15/14 8:42 a.m.

My chassis is good, now have a 9" Mosier, SBF is being built and I think I found my transmission at PRI, I am getting close

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/15/14 10:48 a.m.
oldtin wrote: Badass car needs badass engine Daytona coupe and you're thinking about gas mileage??? How about a 427 windsor?

Toss in a top loader and lemans spec gearing.....it'll probably get decent ish mpg......or at least surprising.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/15/14 10:55 a.m.
Hungary Bill wrote:
My god! I've never had that feeling with my pants on before

So you've never heard a strung out 289 before?

tedium850
tedium850 New Reader
12/15/14 11:58 a.m.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, I ran a 351W with a comp cams 280 magnum, ford version of a quadrajet, 4-speed, and a...2.47:1 rear end out of a Lincoln Versailles in my 67 Mustang Coupe. It was not the ideal combination of parts by any means, but it could knock down 20-22mpg on the higway back then. I think I remember getting almots 25mpg once with the Erson cam that was better suited to the compression I was running. I believe you could do similar with a lighter/more areodynamic body with a good OD gear...and still have some fun. They've come a long way with EFI tuning too, which can olny help.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yskCjgCiKGBFjXmRZCDas3eFdvlDp0ZGARd2MTdUupsnWEXZ4ZLM3eD1TbjebEQF