1 2 3
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/17 12:02 p.m.

Still truck shopping, still getting frustrated with it...

Anyway, I've heard this engine being described as "25% more problems than the V8", is it even worth considering a late 90s/early 00s with this engine? I'm also considering the Dodge V10, but it looks like the Ford is easier to find with the rest of the truck at normal ride height and in generally better condition.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
7/4/17 1:23 p.m.

Any I've dealt with in any of my old fleets have been good, from what I remember pre 03 were the better of the triton motors even with the V8.

Good luck with the search!

CWR67
CWR67 New Reader
7/4/17 3:32 p.m.

I have a V10 equipped 2004 Excursion. The motor has been great over the170k miles I've put on it. I rebuilt the tranny last year and I've done 2 alternators and one coil pack on it over the years. Everything else has been just routine maintenance. I've used it to tow my open and closed race trailers over the years.

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
7/4/17 3:35 p.m.

I have a 2006 F350 with the V10. Hauls everything I've asked it to and hasn't asked for anything but frequent stops at the gas pump.

BoxheadTim
7/4/17 3:38 p.m.

Well, the feedback is better than I expected.

@Wayslow, how frequent are the stops? IOW, how realistic is it to see over 10mpg when not towing?

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
7/4/17 6:13 p.m.

Mileage with the V10 while not towing is depended on how the truck is set up. Is it a 4X2 or a 4X4? What rear end ratio? Tire size? Body style? Trans type? I heard some getting 15-16 highway in a E series van and a standard cab 4X2. Your mileage may vary!

NBraun
NBraun GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/4/17 6:49 p.m.

I'll add my 2 cents.

I have a 2001 CCSB 4x4 SRW. 3.73 gears with stock sized tires. I've only had it for 5,000 miles so I can't quite comment on longevity or repairs.

In town I pretty consistently get 8.5-9 MPG. I got 15.5 on the highway going 55. At 65 I normally get 13. On the interstate at 80 I get 12. It pulls my 18 foot car trailer with a 3500 pound car just fine at 80, and pretty consistently get 8 MPG pulling it.

I really like my pickup, and since i'm getting terrible mileage either way, may as well get the v10.

BoxheadTim
7/4/17 7:29 p.m.

In reply to jimbbski:

I'm only looking at extended cab or crew cab 4x4s.

In reply to NBraun:

That's actually better than I expected. I was expected 8mpg going downhill with a tailwind, TBH.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/17 8:10 p.m.

How many miles do you plan to put on it? My dad's church has two E450 buses with the V10s. They had a 40 ft bus, then downsized to two diesel 450s, then the V10s. They are a bit down on power compared to the diesels and the mileage is less but the for the amount of use they get the lower buy in and maintainence costs made it a good choice. They have put probably 80k miles on them now and both have been trouble free.

BoxheadTim
7/4/17 8:39 p.m.

I doubt I'll put more than 4000-5000 miles on it annually. I suspect that at least 3000 of those will be towing the race car.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/4/17 10:54 p.m.

The early ohc Ford's really only have two problems. They fire spark plugs out if they are not torqued properly, and they are not very powerful for the size. The troublesome ones have cam phasers.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/4/17 11:03 p.m.

I asked this same question a while ago, and got similar answers. For the money they seem hard to beat.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
7/4/17 11:07 p.m.

Didn't the 3 valve ones have 450 ft lbs of torque? Besides torque why buy the v10 over the 5.4, milage seems beyond terrible lol.

I'm sure you can get them cheaper than the 7.3 vehicles!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/4/17 11:12 p.m.
yupididit wrote: Didn't the 3 valve ones have 450 ft lbs of torque? Besides torque why buy the v10 over the 5.4, milage seems beyond terrible lol. I'm sure you can get them cheaper than the 7.3 vehicles!

Excellent question. When I last shopped the v10, it made roughly the same towing capacity as the 7.3 in the excursion trim (I would prefer an suv) and aboit 10 grand cheaper. The overall coat effectiveness of the diesel was negative for a period of something like 15 years, when factoring the gas id use, etc.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
7/4/17 11:21 p.m.

True v10 excursions are cheap compared to diesel ones which command a crazy price.

Aren't the 5.4 expo and v10 excursion both around 10k towing?

BoxheadTim
7/5/17 12:37 a.m.

I think they're fairly similar from a towing capacity point of view, however given that there are some small hills between me and most race tracks I have a preference for as much power and torque as I can afford.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
7/5/17 1:09 a.m.

It's a nice engine. Has the same coil, spark plug and exhaust manifold stud issues as the 5.4. I had the 7.3 in an F250 and Excursion and it was good but god I hated the smell of diesel. I'd get a V10 if I was in the market for a 3/4 ton truck.

If you must have 4wd, see if you can splurge for the 05 or 06 + trucks with the coil spring suspension. The old school Ford front suspensions are nothing to write home about. BTDT, now own a Chevy but the Ford is still a good truck.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
7/5/17 6:25 a.m.

If it helps the V10 is the only Triton still in production...for industrial power applications to boot, Ford WSG-1068 Engine.

So there is something there.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
7/5/17 8:34 a.m.

I have a 03 F350 2WD with 160k miles, the power train has been very good to me with no major issue. You will need to check for rust, broken exhaust studs ,and pull the plugs (I replaced mine) and toque them as I have seen more than one get ejected.

My truck gets about 16mpg @80 mph and around town about 9mpg, 10mpg towing (in PA) a 20 foot enclosed trailer @ 65 mph with no issue.

Your needs sound a lot like mine, need a truck to tow and do a few "truck" jobs a year and sits the rest of the time. This is why I bought a V10, low(er) buy in with less issue compared to the diesels.

Happy hunting.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
7/5/17 8:40 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: The early ohc Ford's really only have two problems. They fire spark plugs out if they are not torqued properly, and they are not very powerful for the size. The troublesome ones have cam phasers.

i've just recently found that they make 'cam phaser lockouts' that do just that, lock the phaser into a single position. the lockouts themselves aren't that expensive but you have to get a programmer to tune for it being locked

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
7/5/17 8:50 a.m.

Aren't the cam phasers pretty much a "fix it once when it starts to tick and it'll be good for the life of the truck" kind of thing anyway?

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 HalfDork
7/5/17 8:53 a.m.

the V10 never got cam phasers if my memory serves me

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
7/5/17 8:55 a.m.
Blitzed306 wrote: the V10 never got cam phasers if my memory serves me

A little quick research confirms this. No cam phasers on the V10, which means definitely get the 3V and take the extra power (and lack of self-ejecting spark plugs).

yupididit
yupididit Dork
7/5/17 9:19 a.m.

I Just looked. The v10 excursions are hilariously cheap here in southern California. I guess it's the gas prices. I have no need for such a vehicle but it would be awesome for our upcoming move to Texas. Could fit a lot of cargo and tow the wife's car the whole way! And the govt would be paying for the gas so there's a win!

4500 with 56k miles

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
7/5/17 10:07 a.m.

We have had a 7.3 Excursion for almost 10 years now. When we bought the price differential for the diesel wasn't that much, but if we bought today I would seriously consider a V10.

All I know is that for one of our in-town moves a few years ago we got a smaller U-haul box van with a big "V10" badge on the fender. Man did that thing scoot - empty or loaded. I don't know if it was an anomaly or not, but that van sure changed my POV on the V10's.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YzGJIuT2TlXEZAOhA4MGoiqQfyDqA7fZHSQdNhJfecVhKXANgbqNo63jD0U1g8uB