1 2
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/10/23 7:11 p.m.
z31maniac said:
No Time said:
jharry3 said:

They need to double the Maverick production.  Demand seems to be there. 

And the new Ranger is about the same size as the F-150 of 25 years ago when I bought a Ranger because the F-150 was too big for what I wanted.  

The mid size trucks have grown to full size of pre-2k, but last time I checked they still don't give us enough space between the wheel wells for a 4x8 sheet of plywood to lay flat.

I think it's intentional to force people into full size if the want 4x8 sheet (plywood, wallboard, rigid foam, etc) to lay flat. There are still ways around it (lay across tailgate, etc), but makes the super short beds even less useful for some truck stuff.

The vast majority of truck buyers don't NEED a truck, but it's the new status symbol like a BMW/Merc/Audi used to be. 

If you're being practical, rent a truck from Lowes/HD, the 3 times per you need one. And before someone points out I drive a small sports car, my house was fully renovated when I bought it..........and if we need house stuff, we will do exactly what I said or have it delivered. 

Congratulations? Why go in threads about trucks just to tell truck owners that they aren't being practical with their money and they're just want the status? Such a practical use of your time. 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
5/10/23 7:33 p.m.

All of the perpetual hand wringing about 48" between the wheel wells on compact and mid-size trucks could have been avoided if more manufacturers actually bothered to simply engineer the tailgate cable supports to enable a half-open position and complete the functionally of the lumber slots they already include for supporting oversize materials in the bed.

No long bed, no deal.

But the styling is way better inside and out, engine choices are better, 4' between the wheel wells is better (and it's better than suspending stuff on the wheel wells and partly raised tailgate), and the slightly bigger interior is slightly better (still a little short on rear leg room). Was hoping for the 7M from the Bronco, but not surprised it's not there.

But yeah, no long bed, no deal.  At least it has a headlight switch.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/10/23 10:09 p.m.

I also have a 2002 and it's a great size for what I need. Mulch; gravel; moving most of a maple tree; furniture; dry wall; etc. I would love a new one, but I'm too cheap and really like my single cab which I know is a thing of the past..sadly.

DocRob
DocRob Reader
5/10/23 11:33 p.m.

I sort of possess doubts that folks need to haul 4x8 sheets of ply as often as they think other people do. We ran a contracting business for 20-years and ply was delivered. For personal use I've needed to haul two pieces of 4x8 exactly once.

A 6' box option would be nice. But since 5' crew cabs outsell everything else - clearly the 6' isn't all that necessary. 

wae
wae PowerDork
5/11/23 6:37 a.m.

Hell, I was able to haul a 4x8 sheet of Melamine in a 2023 E350.  The sedan one, not the van.

It's all in how you have them cut it on the panel saw.

That's a pretty good looking truck and the 7500lb towing capacity covers a lot of ground.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/11/23 6:56 a.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

I remember when truck designs didn't change for decades. 

The redesign looks nice. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/11/23 7:50 a.m.

In reply to DocRob :

I've never hauled 4x8 sheets of ply lol. But, I've def done over 20k miles of towing so far. It doesn't help that I move across the country every 3 years. 

mechanicalmeanderings
mechanicalmeanderings New Reader
5/11/23 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Yes, it was an "old" design when they brought it to the US. I think it dated back to end. The previous ranger left the US market.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/11/23 8:27 a.m.
DocRob said:

I sort of possess doubts that folks need to haul 4x8 sheets of ply as often as they think other people do. We ran a contracting business for 20-years and ply was delivered. For personal use I've needed to haul two pieces of 4x8 exactly once.

A 6' box option would be nice. But since 5' crew cabs outsell everything else - clearly the 6' isn't all that necessary. 

You know what can haul 4x8 sheets with no problem, fully enclosed? A long-wheelbase Expedition. Just saying. laugh

DocRob
DocRob Reader
5/11/23 10:28 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I'd almost argue that towing capacity is the most important actual feature of a body-on-frame truck. Since crossovers and cars tend to max between 2-3000#. 

I just did ~6000 miles in December towing a car behind my FJ Cruiser. And while it was a fairly light tow of ~3000 pounds, the simple fact is, I couldn't do that with the Mazda2. I've done a number of utility trailer hauls, car hauls, etc. In fact, I'd hazard that somewhere on the order of 35k miles of the 200k miles on the FJ have been towing something behind it. So, I'm absolutely with you on towing. 

Which, is also probably why most people don't care if the bed is 4, 5, or 6' - as long as it has a hitch and can tow a decent amount. 

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

I've hauled way more building materials in the back of an extended-length 1-ton van than I have ever hauled in a pickup. Like probably an order of magnitude more, maybe two orders of magnitude. The utility of a large, enclosed, vehicle tends to be under appreciated by folks who do not regularly use them. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/11/23 11:25 a.m.
yupididit said:
z31maniac said:
No Time said:
jharry3 said:

They need to double the Maverick production.  Demand seems to be there. 

And the new Ranger is about the same size as the F-150 of 25 years ago when I bought a Ranger because the F-150 was too big for what I wanted.  

The mid size trucks have grown to full size of pre-2k, but last time I checked they still don't give us enough space between the wheel wells for a 4x8 sheet of plywood to lay flat.

I think it's intentional to force people into full size if the want 4x8 sheet (plywood, wallboard, rigid foam, etc) to lay flat. There are still ways around it (lay across tailgate, etc), but makes the super short beds even less useful for some truck stuff.

The vast majority of truck buyers don't NEED a truck, but it's the new status symbol like a BMW/Merc/Audi used to be. 

If you're being practical, rent a truck from Lowes/HD, the 3 times per you need one. And before someone points out I drive a small sports car, my house was fully renovated when I bought it..........and if we need house stuff, we will do exactly what I said or have it delivered. 

Congratulations? Why go in threads about trucks just to tell truck owners that they aren't being practical with their money and they're just want the status? Such a practical use of your time. 

Congratulations! Why go on any social media and offer your opinion? Hell if you don't want opinions, why post on social media to begin with? Weird when it comes to trucks this a viewpiont, but not the myriad of sports cars. Bet this won't get any up votes.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
5/11/23 9:38 p.m.

I hauled 2X8X12s and 4X8 sheets of rigid foam insulation in my 2000 Ranger short bed today. Long beds and fully enclosed cargo areas seem like a waste.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
5/11/23 10:06 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
DocRob said:

You know what can haul 4x8 sheets with no problem, fully enclosed? A long-wheelbase Expedition. Just saying. laugh

My 2000 expedition has hauled so many sheets of drywall. Yes I have to pop the rear window, but it is so functional. I'd have a hard time replacing it with a truck since the expedition keeps it all nice and dry too..

On topic - I don't think this looks that good. I think the design works on Maverick size, less so on ranger size.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/12/23 5:58 a.m.

I kind of wish Ford had a on-road performance truck like the old svt lighting again. If they did one out of the maverick I'd be scraping pennies for it. 

I still remember seeing the concept where they stuffed a lightning drivetrain in a ranger. That was pretty cool. Then I remember that is coming on 20 years ago and I feel old. 

... Back in my day ..

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
5/12/23 11:15 a.m.

People don't need 911 turbos, or Hellcats, Trucks are indeed the new status symbol and we should be glad manufacturers are making these.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
5/12/23 12:08 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

People don't need 911 turbos, or Hellcats, Trucks are indeed the new status symbol and we should be glad manufacturers are making these.

I agree with this, my boss has a AMG GT but he drives a F150 outfitted pretty much just like mine. They are just a Swiss Army knife for most things.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/12/23 12:33 p.m.

Dumb question- why do people think this truck thing is new????

Pick ups have been the top selling vehicle for decades, and mostly by a big margin. 

The debate on why is amusing, too. As if logic and reality is relevant. People never buy what they really actually need in a vehicle. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/12/23 12:54 p.m.

I'm going to buy one as soon as I save up $60k. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/23 1:15 p.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
DocRob said:

My 2000 expedition has hauled so many sheets of drywall. Yes I have to pop the rear window, but it is so functional. I'd have a hard time replacing it with a truck since the expedition keeps it all nice and dry too..

On topic - I don't think this looks that good. I think the design works on Maverick size, less so on ranger size.

The problem with vans, expeditions, and excursions like mine is for different things. Something extra tall or wide, or loose.

Had to call a friend to bring the new shower home because it was to wide to even fit diagonally in the excursion. But good luck getting a load of dirt, gravel, manure, mulch, or some such into and out of a closed vehicle. 

After this mess with only the civic and excursion we will always have something with a bed. As E36 M3ty as short beds are for drywall and plywood, a bed is better than an enclosed space for lots of homeowner things. 

It is nice though, on occasion. Right now there are 16 sheets of drywall, 3 sheets of plywood, a 10 foot length of 4 inch and 1.5 inch pvc all nice dry and secure in the excursion, NOT taking up valuable floor space during the remodel. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
5/12/23 3:00 p.m.
alfadriver said:

People never buy what they really actually need in a vehicle. 

Blasphemy! I needed the Formula 500 if I was going to finish top 3 at my local autocross.......and every top team needs a hauler therefore one needs a pickup. It also needs to be a nice pickup so I can arrive rested and focused (isn't the autocross site 15 minutes from your house?..........shush). 

Oh and don't start in on me with the whole rationalization nonsense either.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/12/23 4:45 p.m.
RevRico said:

The problem with vans, expeditions, and excursions like mine is for different things. Something extra tall or wide, or loose.

Had to call a friend to bring the new shower home because it was to wide to even fit diagonally in the excursion. But good luck getting a load of dirt, gravel, manure, mulch, or some such into and out of a closed vehicle. 

After this mess with only the civic and excursion we will always have something with a bed. As E36 M3ty as short beds are for drywall and plywood, a bed is better than an enclosed space for lots of homeowner things. 

It is nice though, on occasion. Right now there are 16 sheets of drywall, 3 sheets of plywood, a 10 foot length of 4 inch and 1.5 inch pvc all nice dry and secure in the excursion, NOT taking up valuable floor space during the remodel. 

That's true, but it's why I got a cheap utility trailer from Tractor Supply.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GMrwAuWJbiVZR7uKTdxJHNSVs6kBrEGZrMy2oxCDMYubesjSw7dYMqZGLbvnovPy