1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/24/24 11:46 a.m.
feature_image

Out of all 61 entries that entered to compete, Ford's 1600-horsepower, all-electric F-150 Lightning SuperTruck won the 102nd running of the Broadmoor Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, brought to you by Gran Turismo.

[Live Thread: 2024 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb]

Piloted by Romain Dumas, the all-electric SuperTruck set a time of 8:53.553–and that's including an unplanned stop during the climb:

Driver Romain Dumas overcame a technical …

Read the rest of the story

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
6/24/24 12:04 p.m.

I love that he stopped on course for 26 seconds and still managed to win. Incredible.

Markhogue
Markhogue New Reader
6/24/24 1:38 p.m.

Real shame no sports network bothers to show this historic and significant event. But we must make room for pro Cornhole. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
6/24/24 2:45 p.m.
Markhogue said:

Real shame no sports network bothers to show this historic and significant event. But we must make room for pro Cornhole. 

underrated comment 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/24/24 2:48 p.m.

Or PFC ! 

Gninoked
Gninoked GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/24/24 5:52 p.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

They probably pay for TV time like most sports these days.  Same thing in grocery stores - gotta pay for shelf space!

I don't think PPIHC has the $ to do so in house given the high production costs of actually filming the route!  I do agree it'd be nice to see something better than what we have now from Mobil 1, which is basically a several hour infomercial with a few clips of cars thrown in...  but apparently no one else will pay for coverage either.

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
6/24/24 6:02 p.m.
Markhogue said:

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/24 6:46 p.m.

It would be a pretty difficult race to televise. The course is long (about 50% longer than the Le Mans circuit), so your only options are a couple of fixed locations plus a helicopter. We saw the helicopter video glitching out on the broadcast this year, and of course the chopper can only follow one car at a time. It's also a much smaller race than you might think watching the occasional factory effort. 10 years ago, for example, the only way to get race information was FM radio and that was a local station. I don't know about today.

Holy COW, I just looked up prices to spectate today. $300 per vehicle to camp plus $150 per person to spectate at Devil's Playground - and that's just race day. Looks like the money has arrived. I don't recall what it was a decade ago but it sure wasn't anything like that.

Berck
Berck HalfDork
6/24/24 7:52 p.m.

It took something like 8 hours to run this year, and it would make pretty boring television.  The logistics of cleaning up the crashes and mechanical failures (of which there are many) are difficult.  Then they have to red flag the other cars on course, let them go back down, refuel, and start again.

There's a YouTube feed with live coverage, now.  No need for TV or FM radio.

It's an insanely hard thing to spectate.  I'm stunned that there are as many people as there are that are willing to drive up the mountain at 3am and sit in fairly brutal conditions waiting to watch a car come by every 10 minutes.

The ticket prices may seem high, but they sell out every year.  You can watch for free, if you're willing to hike 4 miles with a 3,000ft elevation gain.  Starting from 10,000ft.  I talked to a surprising number of people at Devil's Playground that hiked up.  Most of them would have bought tickets, but couldn't because they were sold out.  There are no more tickets because there are no more places to park vehicles on the mountain...

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/24/24 7:58 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

If my own experience owning a new Ford sports vehicle is to be considered broadly applicable, it is not unusual for the vehicle to just require random stop-and-reboot times. Why would this be any different? 

26 seconds though. Man, I bet that felt like an eternity. 

Keith Tanner
6/24/24 8:02 p.m.

My comment about race information a decade ago was "on the mountain". I forgot to add that bit. Looks like it might be possible to get wifi up on Devil's Playground these days, so maybe you can watch the race on your phone? I agree that it would not be compelling live TV.

I've been a couple of times. I'd probably go again, it's a pretty dramatic race even if you do only see a car every 4-5 minutes (they run more than one at a time). At the Playground, you can see a significant part of the course and there's some great machinery. We camped so the 3 am drive up the mountain wasn't a big deal - I just dropped the top on the Westy and puttered up. Janel didn't even get out of bed :) 

I guess it must be more popular than it was in 2013, so the ticket prices are reflecting supply and demand. I just checked, and in 2013 it was $100 to camp and $40 per person to spectate.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/25/24 12:17 p.m.

Yeah, the logistics have made spectating a bit of a challenge. When I first went in 1996, you parked wherever your car fit and just watched from the side of the road/track.

Now there are dedicated spectator and parking areas. It’s an awesome event but there are some realities to overcome. 

From Engineers Corner, we barely had internet. Sometimes we could get a bar if we walked up the hill a few feet. We had a radio but couldn’t get great reception. The emergency crew across the track relayed some info to us. 

David S. Wallens
6/25/24 12:24 p.m.

Some more about Pikes Peak logistics in the live tread

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
6/25/24 12:50 p.m.

Is that just the van they had rebodied to look kind of like a truck? 

Only 61 cars? For some reason I always thought they had way more entries into this event. 

David S. Wallens
6/25/24 1:11 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

No more motorcycles, either. 

metallitubby
metallitubby New Reader
6/25/24 1:20 p.m.

I was crew/car chief for both Katherine Legge and Paul Hubers this year. The course stoppages were a bit nutty, which throws off our prep schedules, but that is part of unique nature of the event. Also of note is that crews must arrive at 1.30am to be set up prior to fans arriving.

* I love this event and will continue to support it year-after-year, at least as long as Honda/Acura is involved.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
6/25/24 6:07 p.m.

is the Ford "EV Truck" the same EV platform as the Ford "EV race Van " that I have seen at European races ?

whatever Ford is  doing it seems to work :)

metallitubby
metallitubby New Reader
6/25/24 6:12 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

is the Ford "EV Truck" the same EV platform as the Ford "EV race Van " that I have seen at European races ?

Yes it is. It's an evolution of the SuperVan concept with more/better marketing for the USA.

Keith Tanner
6/25/24 6:18 p.m.

Ford ran the SuperVan last year at Pike's Peak. This is a new build. There's a pretty good deep dive into the tech that I need to watch. It's not just a normal Lightning with some decals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwidlmAShZE

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/24 9:49 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/25/24 10:18 p.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

Or car jujitsu

https://youtube.com/@carjitsuchampionship6540?si=IfvEfh57_zkdqm0j

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
6/26/24 9:28 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Ford ran the SuperVan last year at Pike's Peak. This is a new build. There's a pretty good deep dive into the tech that I need to watch. It's not just a normal Lightning with some decals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwidlmAShZE

You don't say. Other than barely looking like anything in Ford's F-150 lineup, I have yet to see a two door lightning on the road that isn't powered by a supercharged 5.4 or a 351. 

Keith Tanner
6/26/24 9:33 a.m.

I was thinking the underlying tech more than the fact that it's a regular cab :)

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/26/24 4:34 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Onboard footage is out:

That's incredible. Is it me, or does the sound of an EV just make it seem faster?

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/26/24 5:57 p.m.

I had somewhat the same thought watching the in-car.   Having driven race cars with straight cut non-syncro gearboxes, it sort of reminded me of that gearbox noise'

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yLEvO51keDm1nmezpGNPcM1W5AdX8FKO4NjXrvYKwTxs4PFQ0lq5mUqzlQc9uG3S