rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
10/18/24 2:00 p.m.

So Christmas hit my drive way a bit early this year. I had been looking at some new projects that would be good for working on with the kids. Had landed on a Super Beetle that got pulled out from under me, though have a line on a couple that may come soon, so had to find something else.  Well next town over someone was selling a 1987 Porsche 924S in guards red with the black leather/cloth interior with Porsche script seats. 
We went and looked at the car. Took it for a drive my boys fell in love as did I.  It was a dead ringer for the car my dad had when I was a kid same year color combo everything. 
Well my lovely wife decided I needed the car as an early Christmas present.  So $1800 and a bottle of Crown Royal later it was ours. 
It does need a bit of work and I will put in a build thread later. But for now welcoming home the new ride. 
Been awhile since I have had a purely fun car. I am hoping to take it to some autocrosses and maybe some of the road rallies we have out here  

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/18/24 2:19 p.m.

I predict these will be a real "I wish I had bought one when . . ." car in the near future.  If I recall, they are galvanized?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/24 2:36 p.m.

Congrats! As a 968 owner I have always had a soft spot for these too. If you can find a set of the 951 16" phone dials they look incredible on the 924S, excellent "OEM+" look.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
10/18/24 2:43 p.m.
ZOO (Forum Supporter) said:

I predict these will be a real "I wish I had bought one when . . ." car in the near future.  If I recall, they are galvanized?

I have a feeling that you are right especially now that the prices of early 944s have gone up I can see these going higher as well.  I remember right they are a galvanized body. 

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
10/18/24 2:47 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Yeah I would like some new wheels. In all honesty I love the look of the cookie cutters but from what I hear they won't fit on these cars because of the offset. 

that black with the gold wheel combo looks excellent!

As I mentioned my dad had the identical 924S to this when I was a kid then I had a 84 944 when I was in high school. So yeah the transaxle cars have a special place in my heart. Who knows maybe I need to add a 944 and a 968 eventually as well then when my kids are older they can each have one lol. 

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
10/18/24 2:47 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Yeah I would like some new wheels. In all honesty I love the look of the cookie cutters but from what I hear they won't fit on these cars because of the offset. 

that black with the gold wheel combo looks excellent!

As I mentioned my dad had the identical 924S to this when I was a kid then I had a 84 944 when I was in high school. So yeah the transaxle cars have a special place in my heart. Who knows maybe I need to add a 944 and a 968 eventually as well then when my kids are older they can each have one lol. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/24 2:59 p.m.

In reply to rebelgtp :

The cookie cutters are a cool wheel, I have seen them on early 924s before, but yeah with the S changes I'm not sure they'd work.

59481B818B1B48E5BD13ACB4B07978D9.jpg

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/24 10:12 p.m.

I love the looks of 924's. If I ever get one I will backdate the looks as much as possible. I would roll on Corsa GT banded wheels. I can't upload an photo for some reason 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n66HGm8873WifP8tXQDUB8bxhm8xQKqqwCE6CIZKtrebugHIMt7M8bpRpHdG1Mff