kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout New Reader
5/29/08 12:37 p.m.

So I shipped a Miata transmission about 2 months ago without too much trouble. Then yesterday I get a note in the mail for additional weight fee of $105. Sweet. Apparently the estimate I gave of 85lbs, was about 115lbs under what it really was; 200lbs. Sweet. Then I started thinking, I'm about 140lbs (on a good day) and I lifted this thing with no problem and even carried it about a block from my apartment to my Wagon.

What I'm saying is that a Miata transmission does not weigh 200lbs even on a pallet. How do I get out of paying this fee? When I called the lady said that I need a spec sheet for this particular item. Would a dealership have a spec sheet on a 1992 Mazda Miata transmission? Could one of the great people (hmmm Keith?) at Flyin Miata vouch for me?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/08 12:54 p.m.

I can back you up - they're around 75 lbs or so. We have a bunch of loose ones here as well as a set of UPS scales. What sort of documentation does she need exactly?

nickleone
nickleone New Reader
5/29/08 2:13 p.m.

Most trucking companies have what is called the "FLOOR" rate. Anything in a class below a certain weight is classed the same. For example a transmission which I would class at 92.5 under 150# would cost the same from 150 down. Denver to New York cost would be about $350 with very little discount. My cost with another carrier would be as high as $225. Most of the carriers I deal with will weigh the item when it is taken off my truck when I make a delivery. That is the time to get the weight certified. Unless you can come up with the manufacturers shipping weight you are screwed. By the way if you look at the bill for the reweigh there may be a charge JUST to reweigh the item. I am in the shipping business and alot of this info comes from making a mistake once.

Nick

kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout New Reader
5/29/08 2:43 p.m.
Keith wrote: I can back you up - they're around 75 lbs or so. We have a bunch of loose ones here as well as a set of UPS scales. What sort of documentation does she need exactly?

She said that she needed a manufacturers spec sheet so I might be screwed. What I'm thinking is that a company that specializes in Miatas (such as yourselves) would be proof enough. Basically she needed the weight and dimensions.....so maybe something like that written on your letterhead would be good enough.

By the way, thanks for the help.

kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout New Reader
5/29/08 2:47 p.m.
nickleone wrote: Most trucking companies have what is called the "FLOOR" rate. Anything in a class below a certain weight is classed the same. For example a transmission which I would class at 92.5 under 150# would cost the same from 150 down. Denver to New York cost would be about $350 with very little discount. My cost with another carrier would be as high as $225. Most of the carriers I deal with will weigh the item when it is taken off my truck when I make a delivery. That is the time to get the weight certified. Unless you can come up with the manufacturers shipping weight you are screwed. By the way if you look at the bill for the reweigh there may be a charge JUST to reweigh the item. I am in the shipping business and alot of this info comes from making a mistake once. Nick

That's not comforting to hear. I'm sick of saying "live and learn" over stupid crap like this, but that may be the case.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iAHYxCBC2wDvZrAeQPD3Pv5Hmj317RaP5lGDSZYL9BNrewcCezsIDlweNKBUjP9e