1 2
tuna55
tuna55 Dork
9/28/10 2:58 p.m.

The title says it all. For reasons I'd rather not explain, I am looking for a front clip. By clip, I mean the front suspension and subframe off of a SLA car. I'd like something where the entire front suspension assembly can exist without anything else. Think Locost with a body. I'd like the steering rack to be integrated as well, at last to the point where it would be crazy easy to mount. Track width should be around the 52" range. Ubiquity is a factor. Big brake availability is a factor. Durability is a factor. The car will weigh about 2400 lb.

Miata (are any suspension parts to weak for the 302 type conversions)? Supra? I don't know what other "good" SLAs exist. Any ideas?

spritedriver28
spritedriver28 New Reader
9/28/10 3:05 p.m.

Well, I'm clearly tagging myself as an old fart, but what's an SLA? All I can think of is Symbionese Liberation Army.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
9/28/10 3:08 p.m.

I have no concept on widths here, so forgive me if these don't quite fit.

Mk III Supra

Miata

MN12 Thunderbird/Cougar/Lincoln

SC300/400

4th-gen F-body

And SLA is Short/Long Arm, aka Double-wishbone.

novaderrik
novaderrik Reader
9/28/10 3:11 p.m.

Pinto/Mustang 2 is the standard in junkyard front suspension clips with rack and pinion steering. lots of different big brake options for them since they have been used in pretty much every street rod built since the mid 70's. not too common in junkyards any more, tho.

if a rack and pinion isn't a necessity, then look at S10/S15 2 wheel drive pickups.

spritedriver28
spritedriver28 New Reader
9/28/10 3:31 p.m.

Thanks, reverenddexter!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/28/10 4:22 p.m.

Yeah, I heered you have something that needs a little metal poundin'. Were it me, I'd go with the Miata front subframe, it's plenty strong for a 302ish type thing. Try Panic Motorsports (not mine, no affiliation other than he's a good friend), all he does is decompile Miatae and he's just outside of Columbia.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/10 4:45 p.m.

Most hot rod catalogues will have Mustang II/Pinto SLA set-ups for sale -- the one's I've seen seem to be reproductions.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/28/10 4:51 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I have no concept on widths here, so forgive me if these don't quite fit. Mk III Supra Miata MN12 Thunderbird/Cougar/Lincoln SC300/400 4th-gen F-body And SLA is Short/Long Arm, aka Double-wishbone.

Not sure about the Miata, but the F-body and MN12 tie into the tub - the suspension can't exist all on its lonesome.

90% sure the same is of the Lexuses and Supra.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
9/28/10 5:00 p.m.

The answer is Miata. Cheap, plentiful, and good geometry. The front subframe can exist independantly with the exception of an upper shock mount attachment (or you can weld one on).

The only downside is the duty - if putting under a heavy car then you want want to beef up the control arms.

SLA (short/long arm suspension) is a FBody term that is reallt not used outside of those cicles much. Double wishbone is a more common term.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
9/28/10 5:52 p.m.

I should add that a non-power steering rack would be a benefit. Did NA Miatae come like that?

iceracer
iceracer Dork
9/28/10 5:58 p.m.

How about an earlier Corvette ?

RossD
RossD Dork
9/28/10 6:25 p.m.

I'm pretty sure the MN12 Tbirds (and the like) are strut based front suspensions.

Mustang II are still pretty plentiful on Craigslist. Thats where I got my spindles, steering rack, and other parts. I got the whole car for $350.

Chevette, S10 and fiero are all pretty similar, IIRC.

Locost thread.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
9/28/10 6:31 p.m.

yes

>>I should add that a non-power steering rack would be a benefit. Did NA Miatae come like that?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
9/28/10 6:42 p.m.

Depending on just how strong you need it to be, maybe Astro or Aerostar? I've got an Aerostar clip I've been planning on tossing on my '40 IH for years.

Similarly, before everything got Mustang 2 front ends everyone used Nova or Chrysler A/B/E body front ends.

Newest hot rod trend, for trucks, is 2WD Dakota stuff. Maybe close?

Chevette has nothing in common with S10, but it or a Fiero would probably work. Same but different would be any of the Isuzu RWD cars. Maybe the Mazda GLC as well?

Knurled
9/28/10 6:44 p.m.
RandyS wrote: SLA (short/long arm suspension) is a FBody term that is reallt not used outside of those cicles much. Double wishbone is a more common term.

Actually, SLA is the term that they taught us in school. You can have equal length wishbones, and you can have SLA members that are not one-piece control arms, or even single-purpose control arms.

I am thinking of swaybar-as-trailing link on the lower (or upper!) control arm, which is technically not a double wishbone.

Neither, ironically enough, are most Honda suspensions, since many have TCA-and-tension rod lowers and single-beam uppers, not wishbones.

Knurled
9/28/10 6:47 p.m.
RossD wrote: I'm pretty sure the MN12 Tbirds (and the like) are strut based front suspensions.

Oh no, they most certainly are not. They're a right bastard to do shocks on, too, since they have something like 1200lb-in springs and no room to put a spring compressor between the coils.

I'm exaggerating, the springs are probably 800, maybe 1000lb-in.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
9/28/10 6:50 p.m.

SLA from my college experience as well, never heard "double wishbone" in class actually, although our suspensions & brakes instructor was a bit dense.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy HalfDork
9/28/10 8:43 p.m.

Early Dakota is common 5 bolt Dodge hubs and brakes, and rack and pinion steering. The ride height as designed might be a bit of an issue with truck derived donors.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/28/10 9:13 p.m.

3rd-5th gen F-body hands down.

The arms, spindles, brakes, ball joints, bushings, everything are interchangable with a TON of other GM cars from 2000 back to 1964. Seriously.

A/G bodies, F bodies, S-series pickups, light duty full size pickups, B-bodies, D-bodies, X-bodies... you name it, parts are remarkably interchangable. Brake calipers can be bought for $25 each, rotors for $20, bearings for $7.... the list is endless.

Of course... track width...

But if you're looking for insanely common, massively cheap, and ubiquitous... F-body subframe is the ticket.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
9/28/10 9:15 p.m.

Miata and the Pinto are the only two here that would be close on track width, and after hearing that the Thunderbird, Supra and SC series would require other mounting accessories, it sounds like a deal. I'd bet the Miata has a far better suspension setup for handling than the others.

So, knowing that I want the Ford 5 hole bolt pattern, the Pinto sounds easier, but the Miata is going to be lighter and better in terms of geometry.

I am laughing at you, by the way, Mr. Early Corvette suggestor. It's either "where do I mount this transverse leaf spring dealie?" or "why does a control arm cost $4,565?" depending on how early you meant. Of course, you could have meant EARLY, in which case, kingpins are not SLAs.

Miata vs Pinto/Mustang II vs ???............. FIGHT!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
9/28/10 10:12 p.m.

2nd gen F-body.

Wide but lots of cheap handling goodies for them thanks to the roundy-round guys.

The whole subframe comes out with six bolts.

I have a complete 1981 WS-6 unit in my backyard that you can have for free if you get it out of my way.

I'm on the left coast of Canada.

Shawn

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/10 10:27 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
RossD wrote: I'm pretty sure the MN12 Tbirds (and the like) are strut based front suspensions.
Oh no, they most certainly are not. They're a right bastard to do shocks on, too, since they have something like 1200lb-in springs and no room to put a spring compressor between the coils. I'm exaggerating, the springs are probably 800, maybe 1000lb-in.

are you sure? because they have strut towers and i don't remember seeing upper control arms on my cougar when i had the wheels off last week. granted i am no expert on them and i was only changing brake lines, but i am almost certain there were no upper control arms in front. rear yes, and that is a great IRS to swap into something. make upper spring perches and shock mounts and bolt the cradle in.

3rd+4th gen f bodies are strut based goofiness. iirc they have a normal lower arm(carried over from 2nd gens) with coil spring up to a perch, but then a strut bolted to the spindle and strut tower. no spring on the strut. i put struts on the front of one for a kid a long time ago, the worst part was taking the brakes all apart to get room to whack out the huge strut to spindle bolts.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
9/28/10 10:41 p.m.

Mustang II/Foxbody is an inboard-spring mcpherson strut suspension. Not sure why it keeps getting brought up.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
9/28/10 10:55 p.m.

Mustang 2 =/= Fox Body. Mustang 2 = Pinto Fox is strut, Pinto is not

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
9/28/10 11:22 p.m.

I've got an extra pair of mustang II spindles - 2" drop. I used circle track parts and tube bender to fab a crossmember and upper/lower control art mounting points for double wishbones (weld on ball joint collars). Pretty much like a locost set up - just had to place tubes where I needed suspension pick up points. Crossmember just bolts up to front chassis rails. This was for a 5.0 mgb. MG rack mounts to crossmember. 54" track - btw that's about the same as a miata track width - depending on year. The MG (GT) is around 2200#. Ford Granada rotors, GM metric calipers (s10) - caliper mounts are $15. This allowed for longer control arms - hopefully less camber changes at max travel. Just grafting on miata chassis rails and suspension would probably have been easier. Had to rebuild this about 3 times and still needs some tweaks to the coilover mounts.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nTF7UcqWP5dUayYpbtMedooOXCvdGKdR86vo66JmXM24xGrZw8fVUhtRzmCFrORC