1 2 3 4
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/7/10 6:49 p.m.

So, you may have seen in another thread that I'm going to Canada to get a Volvo soon. Here's the story:

In 1970 my Aunt's mother buys a brand new Volvo 142 in good 'ol Canada. She drives it until about 15 years ago when she decides she doesn't want to drive anymore, so she gives it to my aunt and uncle to take care of. She passed away a few years after that, but my aunt and uncle held on to the car as a memento and occasional driver. I've been up there a few times over the past 10 years or so and always expressed my admiration for it, mentioning on more than a few occasions that if they ever consider getting rid of it to let me know first. Well, a few weeks ago my uncle was talking to my mom and basically mentioned to her that if I really wanted the Volvo, it was mine whenever I wanted to come get it. Score.

So here's the stupid part: There's a racing trade show in Toronto the third weekend in January. So I can kind of justify flying up there kind of for work, so aftr I hit the show I'm heading down to Burford to pick up my new ride and drive it home. Because, you know, the weather is awesome between here and Canada the third week in January.

The Volvo has about 56,000 original miles, and has been an occasional driver it's whole life, so it's never sat for extended periods. The tires are relatively new (6-7 months) and a lot of the underhood soft parts like wires and hoses were recently replaced after it was parked on some dry grass that caught fire. Apparently the fire didn't do much more damage than melt a few ignition wires. It's been driven quite a bit since the fire, so everything that was damaged in that incident seems to be in running order.

I got a nice box of stuff from IPD from the UPS man a few days ago, so I'm going up there with a water pump, fuel pump, all the ignition goodies, thermostat, all the hoses, drive belt, shop manual and a decent set of tools. The plan is to fly in Saturday, hit the show, spend Sunday looking the car over and doing any last minute wrenching it might need (which is hopefully very little), then hitting the DMV Monday morning for a temp tag and title transfer and heading for the border. 1300 or so miles later I should be getting home just in time to pull up to our big top at The Rolex 24.

So what am I missing? Anything else that should be in the survival kit? I checked online for other common parts like alternators,and those seem to be readily available at most parts places, so I don't see a real advantage to taking something like that with me? I'm not real Volvo smart, but Per is, and I figure as long as I have his phone number and I haven't done anything to tick him off too bad recently I should be able to figure most stuff out.

Here's a few pix:

jg

EricM
EricM Dork
1/7/10 6:52 p.m.

you are missing the part where you drop it off at my house

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/7/10 6:52 p.m.

That motor looks like it could be fixed with JB Weld no matter what happens. I'd say just a basic kit.

It's got an automagic transmission, though? Bummer. Any plans to fix that?

JG Pasterjak
1/7/10 6:57 p.m.

The auto will probably stay for the time being, as my wife already seems to have an eye for the car and she likes an auto unless it's a "real" sports car. If it ever fails, though, it'll most likely get replaced with a stick. So my maintenance plan for the trans includes a lot of neutral drops and replacing the trans fluid with Nestle Quik.

jg

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
1/7/10 6:57 p.m.

That's a sharp-looking car. Is it the 1.8L or 2.0L?

Ian F
Ian F Dork
1/7/10 7:06 p.m.

Well... he could stop by my house I buy my M41...

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/10 7:06 p.m.

Having done a few of these types of trips, this is what I'd recommend:

• GPS
  • Shop towels to clean the windshield
  • Zip ties
  • Duct Tape
  • Flashlight
  • Two small pieces of plywood (one for the jack, one for you)
  • Windshield washer fluid (you'll always run out in the middle of no where)
  • Winter gloves, hat, jacket, etc.
  • Extra oil
  • Extra coolant

Have a great trip, it sounds like you'll have a lot of fun. And if you happen to get lost and find yourself in CT - feel free to stop in!

ansonivan
ansonivan Reader
1/7/10 7:09 p.m.

I know berkeleyall about Volvo's especially old ones but if it breaks down near Columbus OH I'll hook you up with fully equipped shop access. Also, if you're coming through here and feel like crashing for the night I'll be glad to take you in.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
1/7/10 7:15 p.m.

Man o Man I love me some old engine bays! Nothing extra=nothing in the way.

warpedredneck
warpedredneck New Reader
1/7/10 7:20 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak:

if it was me i would add some lucas fuel system treatment as well as oil additive, its done me well over the years on older vehicles

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/10 7:21 p.m.

I'd make the round trip for that.

If you plan on passing through Connecticut, I can send you my phone number, in case you need a place to make any repairs. I've got a hammer and a metric screwdriver. You shouldn't need much more than that to keep an old Volvo running.

You can't sleep here though.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/10 7:25 p.m.

Rain-X

Wiper Blades

and the good anti-freeze kind of windshield washer juice

maybe a 12vdc - 110vac inverter and a small ceramic heater, in case your heater / defroster takes a dump.

JG Pasterjak
1/7/10 7:37 p.m.
ansonivan wrote: I know berkeleyall about Volvo's especially old ones but if it breaks down near Columbus OH I'll hook you up with fully equipped shop access. Also, if you're coming through here and feel like crashing for the night I'll be glad to take you in.

Thanks for the offer. Columbus was a little off my intended route, but it's an easy detour if I get on the road and realize it needs some more tlc to make it the rest of the way.

I'll be able to keep everyone updated on my progress as the trip unfolds as I'll have all my computer goodies with me. In fact, I'll be shipping the April issue of GRM to the printer from some hotel along the road with good internet (ain't modern times great).

jg

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
1/7/10 7:40 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:

Anyone know if carbs like that will bolt up to a B23??? I am looking for some of those!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy New Reader
1/7/10 7:45 p.m.

In reply to NGTD:

Go to the Volvo Penta store. They used a B23B in the olden days.

JG- Have you dealt with border/import type issues? It won't be tough, but it is prudent to have your ducks in a row in good time. Border guards are very very good at being king sized knobs when they wanna be.

Also- when you get dragged off into the little room at the airport, they may not actually ask you why you are flying to a foreign nation with a one-way ticket, but they will be very curious. Sometimes they seek the answer using rubber gloves.

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
1/7/10 7:47 p.m.

It looks so pretty! I love my Volvos, but I've never had a carbed one.

And keeping the hospitality going, if you are passing through Chicago, it would be my pleasure to treat you to whatever meal is appropriate for the hour you pass through.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/10 7:49 p.m.

+1 on the offer to assist. If you are headed South on I-79 I am just a few minutes off the highway. (I would suggest that route over taking the Turnpike past D.C.)

As for a toolkit, I usually have problems with electrics and overheating. I suggest a jump-start battery, multi-tool, voltmeter, band clamps, and stuff for hose repair.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
1/7/10 7:49 p.m.

JG, what's your route back? Burford (I know where that is !!!) to Detroit and down I-75? or through Buffalo? You could let everyone know and have a "safety" network before you leave.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/10 7:50 p.m.

I just found Burford on the globe. I guess you won't be passing through Connecticut after all.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
1/7/10 7:54 p.m.

Is this your intended route, Niagara crossing to Cleveland or are you thinking Detroit Crossing?
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Burford,+Brant,+ON,+Canada&daddr=daytona+beach,+fl&geocode=FUS0kQIdoL80-ynHCE4962osiDHSuoKtKnsDJg%3BFb-4vQEdj7Ar-ymDVgIllNvmiDHrKssdtztqNg&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=36.229335,-80.266045&sspn=24.356637,56.162109&ie=UTF8&ll=38.85682,-79.321289&spn=11.796002,28.081055&z=5

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
1/7/10 8:00 p.m.

If you want/need to make a huge detour through Louisville my own 1970 142S could serve as a temporary parts car.

JG Pasterjak
1/7/10 8:04 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: In reply to NGTD: Go to the Volvo Penta store. They used a B23B in the olden days. JG- Have you dealt with border/import type issues? It won't be tough, but it is prudent to have your ducks in a row in good time. Border guards are very very good at being king sized knobs when they wanna be. Also- when you get dragged off into the little room at the airport, they may not actually ask you why you are flying to a foreign nation with a one-way ticket, but they will be very curious. Sometimes they seek the answer using rubber gloves.

I've had conversations with and gotten excellent help from the US and Canadian DMVs, Customs and Border Patrol. Everyone I've talked to has really been extremely nice and helpful. I even asked the guy at the border if he was cool with me taking pictures for a magazine story, and he said he'd find someone who was happy to do an interview if I called ahead, but I probably couldn't take photos due to security concerns. I should have all my ducks in a row when it comes to paperwork, but I still won't be surprised if it isn't the cakewalk that everyone has been leading me to believe.

My route is a little longer than it needs to be because I'll be paying a visit to our printer who is in central Kentucky. So I'm crossing at Detroit, then going Cincinatti, Louisville, Nashville, Atlanta, Florida. It's about 200 miles more than the direct route, but I haven't seen our printer in a while, and it's nice to sit down with those guys from time to time. It also takes me through more civilization than the direct route, which would mean coming through central WVa and the Carolinas.

And, yeah. I already thought of the questions I'll get asked when I show up in Canda on a one-way flight with a bag full of tools and parts. I'll try to relax when the guard snaps on the latex.

jg

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
1/7/10 8:12 p.m.

Louisville? Sweet! Hopefully you won't need anything but I have my car and a few boxes of parts. Plus I'm a tech at a dealership with a sympathetic boss so if you need anything just shout.

I'm so jealous-are those factory alloys?

JG Pasterjak
1/7/10 8:18 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: I'm so jealous-are those factory alloys?

Per had told me what they were but it slipped my mind. Apparently it's an aftermarket wheel that was a popular dealer option back in the day.

jg

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch New Reader
1/7/10 8:32 p.m.

those wheels are awesome.

hope it goes well!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z5rJipNqUAIOek91pJYdwNERBjoRgIZXDwvV47QzvwwM23RVn0Qc1la5Fnfkwgm8