lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
5/11/21 10:12 a.m.

So the Subaru EJ22 swap in to my Kelmark (73 Beetle) has been complete for a couple years, but has always had a long crank time.

I assume it reverse bleeding down the fuel pressure after the prime just before the cranking. I am also assuming the check valve was part if the fuel pump assembly of the 95 legacy that the engine came from, which was not reused.

I purchased a aftermarket check valve., where should I install it?

I know after the pump, but before or after the high pressure (stock subie) fuel filter

Tank - LP filter - Pump - check valve - HP filter - engine.  This leaves HP fuel in the HP filter and fuel rail

or

Tanks- LP filter - Pump - HP filter - check valve - engine.. Leaving only HP in the fuel rail.

Thanks for the input.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
5/11/21 1:10 p.m.

I would think that earlier in the system the better. It would give you a bigger reserve of pressurized fuel, and less volume of unpressurized line for the pump to have to recover on startup. On factory systems the in tank pump is the check valve, so the entire system is pressurized all the time, so they must think that's the best way to do it.

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
5/11/21 1:46 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

That was my thought too. But some times I think in reverse so figured I'd check. 

Thanks again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oNC3MIxOCeFjR6HWXnw0bTUbjWTZuz3elHmtO5nuGV2YAy4qhpIygqJCYUF991tN