Cloud9...68
Cloud9...68 New Reader
12/24/17 12:43 a.m.

My 1992 Porsche 968 track car's fuel pump is behaving strangely.  Normally, it turns on when the fuel pump relay is energized when the key is turned to the start position.  Alternatively, the fuel pump relay can be removed, and the appropriate terminals jumpered, which turns the pump on immediately.  I recently replaced the fuel pump with a new Bosch unit because the old one leaked, and it ran fine at its first track session, but then suddenly stopped working.  So I tried applying 12V directly to the pump's electrical connectors from the battery via jumper cables and alligator connectors, and that never fails to turn the pump on.  The wires and their connectors look fine, as is the fuel pump sender fuse.  Any idea what can cause a pump which runs fine when 12V are applied directly to it not to work when the signal comes through the normal channels from the battery, through the relay, to the pump?  Thanks.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
12/24/17 12:51 a.m.

So, if I read this correctly, you can power the pump via jumpers to the terminals at the relay, but the relay won't energise it.  If so, either the relay is not being energised, or it has failed internally.  If it's not being energised, you have a bad connection, a bad relay, a bad ecu, or no spark.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/24/17 7:18 a.m.

Sounds to me like a bad relay. That seems like the obvious explanation. Any reason to think it’s anything else?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/24/17 7:33 a.m.

I'm curious how the old fuel pump leaked...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/17 7:40 a.m.

Test the relay. 

alstevens
alstevens New Reader
12/24/17 12:19 p.m.

Ck the ground on the relay

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
12/25/17 1:03 p.m.

Simpler than that, check for 12vdc coming to the relay, if you have bolts at the relay in, but not out, it’s a bad relay. And they DO fail! Relays are capable of working and not working. I’ve seen it a million times. They can even ohm out correctly across the windings and STILL work when cold, and not when hot. 

I would wire  in a new relay, if that doesn’t fix it, jump two wires to a volt gauge and monitor when you lose 12vdc. At that point it’ll be a wire break or a bad ecu

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/25/17 1:27 p.m.

If the relay is not the culprit, could be an efi sensor. Some ecus will not fire the fuel pump unless they see engine cranking/spinning, etc. 

I assume it is not a return-less system?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/25/17 1:30 p.m.

Also, love the screen name!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mSYSDwHdkpOFz1TFDUPyoXAQbsuCGWrIy1ZVl3J4V5WfOPRk6B6mvLL9xWkbnlMk