1 2 3
dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/21/13 12:01 p.m.

Selling my 2011 mazda3 and hoping to get about 18k out of it. Selling because i got bored of it, needs more power, needs more grip, and it's automatic :(

Anyways, I'm looking for a fun car without spending more than what I sell my current car for. And have been looking at STI's or e46 m3's. Both completely different cars I know, the STI is like a "hot chick" while the m46 would be more of a "beautiful woman" (if that makes any sense) the only thing that worries me is the maintenance on the m3.

What do you guys think?

Also any other suggestions? This will be my DD

Caraddict
Caraddict New Reader
4/21/13 12:08 p.m.

What type of car would you like? how many miles would you like on your next car? Any particular requirements you need? what years could they be?

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/21/13 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Caraddict:

I want a performance car of any sort, RWD or AWD I'd like something fairly low miles for its age. Maybe around 100k miles. No particular requirements, and around the mid 2000's

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
4/21/13 12:24 p.m.

Do you do your own maintenance/wrenching?

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/21/13 12:27 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Do you do your own maintenance/wrenching?

sadly no...I do have a buddy of mine that is willing to teach me, and help me do some things but i dont want to rely on him. I'm partly getting this car to learn and modify.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
4/21/13 12:33 p.m.

A boxster S but spend the money on a PPI from someone with a good reputation.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/21/13 12:43 p.m.
oldtin wrote: A boxster S but spend the money on a PPI from someone with a good reputation.

Not really my style

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
4/21/13 12:48 p.m.

I have close to that into a nice 964 Porsche, which I LOVE... but am in fact considering a move to a lower-cost fun car: a Miata, or S2000. Maybe a 350z. I'm realizing that I enjoy modifying and tweaking - and having a cheaper starting point and lower cost consumables might be better for me.

What about a turbo Miata? Low entry cost, fantastic aftermarket, low consumable cost and easy to work on. (Hey, someone had to say it!)

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
4/21/13 12:49 p.m.

Manual turbo RX8 wld be my pick.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/21/13 1:01 p.m.

Yup, i was also thinking about a s2000, 350, or miata as well. I was going to get a miata as a second fun car, but the insurance didn't work out (im still young) and decided to just have 1 car for now. I am admittedly hesitant having a 2 seater and only a 2 seater though

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/21/13 1:12 p.m.
FranktheTank wrote: Manual turbo RX8 wld be my pick.

Looked into it once, but seems like they aren't the most reliable thing?

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
4/21/13 1:25 p.m.

I currently own a track prepped NA, a stock (so far, only owned it 11 days :) ) NC Miata...........I've driven S2000s and owned an '06 350Z for a bit a few years ago.

As you can see from my screen name I've always been a big fan of the Z cars, but I'd pass on it unless you could scratch together the $$$ for a 370Z.

$18k would get you a really nice 09-10 NC Miata, Grand Touring, etc and the forged internals a 500rpm higher redline if you wanted to get serious with Auto-X.

Have you considered a lower starting point and having some "fun" money to spend on the car once you get it?

Here is the '06 I just bought, 36k miles, only $13,500. That would leave you enough for a man sized set of wheel/tires (17x8 or 17x9 with 235/40 to 255/40 being an option) and a nice suspension setup and STILL leave you change.

photo IMG_7526_zps560b7879.jpg

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork

S197 Mustang? RWD, 300hp, comes in 5-speed, tons of aftermarket pars and fairly cheap. Pretty easy to maintain and work on and below your price range for what you are looking for. You get a few extra goodies if you can get a premium model.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader

Are you financing this? If so why are you looking into modified cars or ones with 100k miles?

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/21/13 1:33 p.m.

I have thought about the NC miata but don't like the body styling. I would rather not finance it, and just sell my car, and use that to buy whatever car I can get. I am currently thinking about the s2000 though.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
4/21/13 1:48 p.m.

I got the impression of no financing, mostly if not all DD duty.

You're drawn to the STI and an e46 m3. Personally I wouldn't be any more intimidated by maintenance costs of one over the other with the exception of an smg bmw (wouldn't necessarily scare me off, but I'd want a substantial discount for it). Another thing to consider - a convertible e46 is a fair bit cheaper than a coupe (a titch down on power too).

Pontiac GTO - comfy DD, 400 hp, rwd...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/21/13 2:35 p.m.

S2000, NC Miata, RX-8, Corvette...

M Coupe would be my choice for an awesome "only car" dd. Two seater but plenty of carrying capacity.

666csi
666csi New Reader
4/21/13 2:51 p.m.

I got a 1996 Miata for 6k (47000 miles) a couple months ago, I hear they are pretty hard to kill and it's about as exciting as 130hp is likely to get.

Also got a 2003 350Z last year, no grievous faults on those either other than the suspension bits wear a little faster than average during hard use. If you're having trouble deciding between the STI and the M3, go with a 350Z: I would describe it as a "hot woman"...or maybe a "Beautiful chick". Scratch that, beautiful chick ain't gonna work.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
4/21/13 3:03 p.m.

The 350Z loses on the excitement factor to the other two you mentioned, and has absolutely NO space for anything.

You have to lay a 30 pack of beer on it's side and under the strut bar to get the hatch to close.

sanman
sanman Reader
4/21/13 3:40 p.m.

A lightly used mazdaspeed 3 or genesis coupe might be available as well. Personally, the mustang or a miata is likely the easiest to find for the money. I find the mustang to be a comfrotable DD even as a bigger guy.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
4/21/13 3:48 p.m.

Mustang GT or GTO is right on that money. E36 M3loads of Mustangs out there.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
4/21/13 4:22 p.m.

I am a big Subaru, AWD, and turbo fan and coincidentally the STi has/is all three of those. I have had multiple WRX/STis. I have also had many rear wheel drive performance cars like the Camaro/Firebird/Challenger/RX7s/Z cars etc. All good cars but depending on where you live (snow) not so good in winter. The STi is even better in the wet and snow than the dry. Constantly calling you to come and play no matter what the weather. You certainly couldn't go wrong with an M3 either but for a great "all arounder" go Subie.

Oh, by the way..........I am waiting for the new WRX/STi to come out in a year or two......I think (hope) they should be the best yet.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine New Reader
4/21/13 4:24 p.m.

Srt4 is alway fun and cheap. Why limit yourself to a newer car? Not many fun newer cars

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/21/13 5:29 p.m.

Well I dont NEED AWD since I live in southern california. But i live 20 minutes away from the twisties :) I'm really liking the s2000 the more and more i look at it, but not too sure how i would like living with a 2 seater. Though 90% of the time I drive myself or another person, or my bike which wheels can be taken off and stuffed in the trunk real quick.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/21/13 9:16 p.m.

s2000 or wrx? thoughts?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qFjQsJsvMlPHqsu6b1kitPIDFRhdB9NfUOux6yii6SmPYLwMKPTrlWX1Me8O9XP0