1 2 3
mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/21/13 9:23 p.m.
dooodstevenn wrote: Selling my 2011 mazda3 and hoping to get about 18k out of it. Selling because i got bored of it, needs more power, needs more grip, and it's automatic :( Anyways, I'm looking for a fun car without spending more than what I sell my current car for. And have been looking at STI's or e46 m3's. Both completely different cars I know, the STI is like a "hot chick" while the m46 would be more of a "beautiful woman" (if that makes any sense) the only thing that worries me is the maintenance on the m3. What do you guys think? Also any other suggestions? This will be my DD

Your problem is you started with an NA slushbox. Go drive a 1g ms3, or even a nice 2g. It will change your mind.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
4/21/13 9:35 p.m.

I also owned an MS3 (2010) great car! Quick, handled good tons of storage space....

Caraddict
Caraddict New Reader
4/21/13 10:00 p.m.

Friend bought a 2004 VW R32 for 14,000. I wouldn't mind owning one of those. Good all weather DD and useful.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/21/13 10:22 p.m.

Left field suggestion: Solstice GXP

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
4/21/13 10:31 p.m.
mtn wrote: Left field suggestion: Solstice GXP

Not a bad suggestion at all, OP hasn't given us enough information.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
4/21/13 10:32 p.m.

If I had 18k burning a hole in my pocket I would be driving an 80's Monte Carlo with a GNX clone engine or a 400 DE-STROKER!!!!

Then I would take the rest of the money and save it for a really wild project car.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/21/13 11:32 p.m.

In regards to the MS3. Torque steer?

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/21/13 11:41 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
mtn wrote: Left field suggestion: Solstice GXP
Not a bad suggestion at all, OP hasn't given us enough information.

Well, I like imports. I want something that has a "true driving feel" to it, Which is why I lean towards roadsters and 2 seaters. Right now, my debate is whether I should get a true roadster like a s2000 or get something just as fast but still drives well and has more room like a wry/sti.

I'm currently 19, go to college and just want to have fun again like when I first got my license, but i realize a 2 seater may not be so practical, but years from now.

At the moment I drive me and a friend around, depends on who im with, but the majority of the time other people have cars they can take others in. (and this is on the rare occasion it's a huge group) When I buy groceries and what not I don't buy in bulk, just enough to last a few weeks. Come to think of it, at the moment I don't use any of the room in my car now, except the trunk where i throw my back pack, laptop, and sweater/jacket, and sometimes my bike (which have quick releases on the wheels and pop off quick making it a lot smaller) But there might be a time where i need the room. That's what i fear, the unknown

Vracer111
Vracer111 New Reader
4/21/13 11:56 p.m.

Find a used FRS with a few thousand miles for around $20k... they exist. Put $18k down and finance the difference. Much better DD choice than an S2k and basically its equal on track. Plenty of room with the rear seats folded down as well...practical sports car that is 100% focused on the driver and is a precision cornering machine, much more so than a miata.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
4/22/13 12:19 a.m.

In reply to FranktheTank:

I really like the idea of a Regal with the gingerbread pulled off, maybe in white with black'd out trim, sporting a 5.3 LS truck motor and a 4L80E behind it. Just a little tuning to shift points and a hotter cam from one of the Corvette engines and boom, hot car for what, $10k total? $12k tops?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/22/13 12:43 a.m.
dooodstevenn wrote: Well, I like imports. I want something that has a "true driving feel" to it, Which is why I lean towards roadsters and 2 seaters. Right now, my debate is whether I should get a true roadster like a s2000 or get something just as fast but still drives well and has more room like a wry/sti. I'm currently 19, go to college and just want to have fun again like when I first got my license, but i realize a 2 seater may not be so practical, but years from now. At the moment I drive me and a friend around, depends on who im with, but the majority of the time other people have cars they can take others in. (and this is on the rare occasion it's a huge group) When I buy groceries and what not I don't buy in bulk, just enough to last a few weeks. Come to think of it, at the moment I don't use any of the room in my car now, except the trunk where i throw my back pack, laptop, and sweater/jacket, and sometimes my bike (which have quick releases on the wheels and pop off quick making it a lot smaller) But there might be a time where i need the room. That's what i fear, the unknown

Yeah, I'm going to have to repeat my suggestion of M Coupe. $18k will buy you a nice '99-'00.

I am currently hunting for an S2000. I had been living with an NA Miata as my DD, but I still have a Chevy Astro to haul a bunch of stuff. The S2000 is my choice for something slightly more practical and well appointed than a Miata (slightly).

I used to have an M Coupe though. It was a great car, and perfect for a young single guy. I was able to pack up a bunch of stuff in the back for two people to road trip. Even carried a set of bookshelves home in the back once, sticking out the hatch.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/22/13 4:27 p.m.

So I'm looking at these two cars:

1. 2005 s2000 57,xxx miles wants 16k -southern california car all it's life -no accidents -like the color better (blue)

2. 2006 s2000 68,xxx miles wants 17k -car started in alabama, then florida, now southern california -1 accident, passenger side collision -silver is still nice -drive by wire -traction control

supposidly the ECU on the 2006 can be more easily tuned giving 20whp, and you can throw on some headers that give another 20. Cost in all another 1k where as the 2005 has a somewhat obtrusive ECU but for whatever reason responds better to FI (which i dont think i'll do). Also a bit worried about the traction control in a RWD car, in the rain. (live in southern california though)

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
4/22/13 4:53 p.m.

19 year old college student with $18k to blow on a fun car?

Not to be all jealous or whatever, but I wish I had your problems. You should probably buy the S2000 with accident damage for more money.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/22/13 4:57 p.m.
pres589 wrote: 19 year old college student with $18k to blow on a fun car? Not to be all jealous or whatever, but I wish I had your problems. You should probably buy the S2000 with accident damage for more money.

YEAH! I LOVE ACCIDENTS!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
4/22/13 6:02 p.m.

Keep looking and find an 06 or newer S2000. The trunk is surprisingly large. If you need to bring your bike there are bike racks that will harmlessly attach to your trunk.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
4/22/13 7:21 p.m.

In reply to dooodstevenn:

Go to the gym more and learn to be careful with throttle input.

Loved my MS3, can fly under the radar and lose you're license with a quickness.

M3Loco
M3Loco Reader
4/22/13 7:27 p.m.

M Coupe... Nuff Said!

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/22/13 7:28 p.m.
dooodstevenn wrote: In regards to the MS3. Torque steer?

Yep. All kinds of it. 2g cars are less scary than 1g cars. Suspension mods and new engine mounts can help. You live in Socal, so a lot of what i've got done to mine would get you in hot water with the fuzz. Still a blast.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/22/13 8:02 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: Keep looking and find an 06 or newer S2000. The trunk is surprisingly large. If you need to bring your bike there are bike racks that will harmlessly attach to your trunk.

why 06 and newer?

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
4/22/13 8:16 p.m.

I was also going to say ms3 but if I lived in CA screw it get a miata or s2000. Your only young once

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine New Reader
4/22/13 9:49 p.m.

Ever think about looking into maintenance or insurance costs? Something you kids never bother with until the bill comes. Then again, 19 with18k to blow...

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/22/13 10:02 p.m.

In reply to Jaxmadine:

Well, this kid did! Insurance is actually about 80 dollars cheaper every 6 months than the mazda3! Maintenance is straight forward, i hear alot of "it's a honda" so routine fluids and it'll last forever. Even gets better MPG!

rotard
rotard Dork
4/22/13 10:18 p.m.
Vracer111 wrote: Find a used FRS with a few thousand miles for around $20k... they exist. Put $18k down and finance the difference. Much better DD choice than an S2k and basically its equal on track. Plenty of room with the rear seats folded down as well...practical sports car that is 100% focused on the driver and is a precision cornering machine, much more so than a miata.

Man the lifeboats, it's getting deep in here!

What about a C5 or C5 Z06? You can find them for $18k. Insurance, fuel economy, and space are all surprisingly good. Consumables are more expensive, but it's only really an issue if you drive like an asshat all the time.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/22/13 11:02 p.m.

For the MS3, how does it compare in the twisties with the s2000? It doesn't weigh too much more, but one is obviously a 4 door hatch while the honda is a roadster, so i'd assume the s2000 would turn better but can the ms3 hold it's own weight?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
4/23/13 12:34 a.m.
dooodstevenn wrote:
clutchsmoke wrote: Keep looking and find an 06 or newer S2000. The trunk is surprisingly large. If you need to bring your bike there are bike racks that will harmlessly attach to your trunk.
why 06 and newer?

Traction control, programmable ECU.. um yeah I think that about covers it. It will be worth it. Trust me.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lZu7oucFRK4RYdxZfGBQACYOTXgCGS0RFN143VYtLsAKXd152YTamanx3E34VzO8