1 2 3
bentvalve
bentvalve New Reader
8/4/10 11:18 p.m.

Looking at that nice A1 Gti in the other post got me to thinking about one of my favorite dream project: Take an A1 or early A2 gti and flip the motor around and into the back, then box the wheel arches ala the renault r5. People do this occasionally, but it seems to me that the car ought to run in reverse in the forward gears. How is this fixed.

Second question: Lets hear other peoples favorite never tackled car projects.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/4/10 11:42 p.m.
  • Civic del Sol: but with the engine in the middle, driving the rear wheels. no flipped gearbox, instead using some sort of voodoo (aka cables + pulleys or direct master-to-slave cylinder hydraulics) to perform gearchanges
  • CRX: see above
  • first gen Audi TT: mid motor conversion, but with a big Audi V8 running through a good longitudinal mount, mid engine transaxle, with exhaust exiting in the stock location, and enough suspension to make the car a terror on backroads, tarmac hillclimbs, tarmac stage rallies, and in general just hooliganizing around
  • Honda Prelude BB5-BB9 (5th gen): FR conversion using S2000 engine, gearbox, rear diff, and suspension, but pickup points reinforced as to be durable enough for autoX

the list goes on and on...

hamburglar
hamburglar New Reader
8/4/10 11:52 p.m.

Minivan... Any would do really. Do it however you want, whether it be swap the front into the rear, or just take big V8+transmission from truck and have a TINY propshaft...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/4/10 11:58 p.m.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2876938/page1

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
8/5/10 6:00 a.m.

I would REALLY like to do that to my MX6, and on the surface it really doesn't seem like it would be THAT hard. And that's scary, because if it doesn't seem hard, there's a chance i'll try. And fail. Miserably.

Use current engine, RX7 TII trans, RX7 rear end/suspension.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/5/10 6:15 a.m.

I saw an integra get a vtec prelude H22 dumped into the trunk - apparently it was wicked to drive because there was SO MUCH WEIGHT balance toward the rear...it would corner on a dime.

I once saw an internet ad for a shop that would take the 3rd gen cavaliers (90-96 I think) and drop in the 3.8L and trans from V6 camaros and swap out the pushrod lump that was already in there. They would chop the chassis, add a tunnel, 2 buckets in back in place of the rear bench, fab up rear end mounts, and youd have a supercharged RWD cavalier capable of sub 13s...all for $5k + parts <lol no thanks

This full RB26DET+Atessa AWD S14/R32GTR hybrid is my ultimate fantasy...just a step above the same engine/driveline dumped into a late 90s mercury LS.

Hotlinked for your pleasure...

Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
8/5/10 8:10 a.m.

mine....

flountown
flountown New Reader
8/5/10 8:26 a.m.

I second the del Sol, there is just so much room back there and there is not need to intrude on cabin space to get it done.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
8/5/10 9:01 a.m.

In reply to 93celicaGT2:

I thought about the exact same thing with my 626. I wonder if a wrecked or dead motor RX-7 would provide a high percentage of the needed part. Gut the trunk, pull the gas tank, cut out the floor. Slice up RX and start tying parts into the back to get things hung then build up a bit of a cage to pass stress into the body shell. At the front, some B2200 motor mounts would probably help progress, and then I'm not sure what happens with things like the oil pan and you're going to have to figure out the dizzy & intake manifold inlet issues. I also wonder about clearance between a drive shaft and the floor, the tunnel in those cars gets pretty small by the time it's at the back seats.

Could be a very cheap project though if the right cars were found, a Turbo II RX-7 with a dead engine should be really cheap and an MX-6 or 626 with a busted transmission would be a give-away. And both of these things have happened with some regularity over the years so I'm sure the cars are out there, they just need to be found.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
8/5/10 9:32 a.m.

^I'd even be cool with just hacking up my car. It's not THAT nice, and the H-transmissions go for gold, Jerry, GOLD. Could probably sell the transmission to cover the entire cost of a wrecked TII.

Plus, i've already got the power thing taken care of.

Ready for it to potentially get ever easier?

The 929 in other markets could be had with the F2 motor. And that was RWD. I think the 929 is a bit more similar to the MX6/626 than the TII. Hard part would be FINDING one and getting it here, but i could see it being VERY smooth sailing if you could get one.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
8/5/10 9:58 a.m.

In reply to 93celicaGT2:

A US market 929 would work fine, I mean, what are you gaining really by getting an F2 929? A cross member that you'll have to hack up anyway, motor mounts that are probably similar or identical to the B2200 mounts that we already have, and then the rear suspension and such. Which are probably similar to the RX parts we have easy access to here.

Save the money, buy a welder and a torch (and in my case, some tech classes on using a welder and torch, because it's been too long since I spent much time with either).

I didn't replace the trans in my 626 when I had problems with it, just had it rebuilt. Twice. The first time lasting about 70,000 before it started jumping out of 5th, the second time it lasted maybe 20k before it happened again and that was how the car was sold. And this is why I won't own another one even though I consider it the best car I've had so far.

RossD
RossD Dork
8/5/10 10:11 a.m.
93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
8/5/10 10:14 a.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to 93celicaGT2: A US market 929 would work fine, I mean, what are you gaining really by getting an F2 929? A cross member that you'll have to hack up anyway, motor mounts that are probably similar or identical to the B2200 mounts that we already have, and then the rear suspension and such. Which are probably similar to the RX parts we have easy access to here. Save the money, buy a welder and a torch (and in my case, some tech classes on using a welder and torch, because it's been too long since I spent much time with either). I didn't replace the trans in my 626 when I had problems with it, just had it rebuilt. Twice. The first time lasting about 70,000 before it started jumping out of 5th, the second time it lasted maybe 20k before it happened again and that was how the car was sold. And this is why I won't own another one even though I consider it the best car I've had so far.

Good point...

I'm not sure what was up with your trans. Mine has 176k miles on it now and shfits like new.

Though i was going with the F2 929 mainly for the mounts and such. Now that you point that out, the TII is probably still the most logical idea, since you get the trans as well.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/5/10 10:18 a.m.

I always wanted to do a DC9 Integra hatch with an Accord V6/5spd over the back axle.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
8/5/10 10:22 a.m.

I think my Aurora would be a LOT more fun if it was RWD and a 5 speed

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
8/5/10 10:26 a.m.

RWD Class Mini by Z Cars

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=EF3CAD277B538903

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F31EgKXmLv4&feature=PlayList&p=EF3CAD277B538903&index=4

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
8/5/10 10:28 a.m.

Daytona. Wanted to do one ever since Mopar had a kit in the 80s. I wanted one that would handle and look stock instead of a drag car though.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
8/5/10 10:35 a.m.

M030
M030 HalfDork
8/5/10 10:44 a.m.

I want to put an Audi 2.7L twin turbo (longitudinally) where the back seat goes in my 72 Beetle. I've got it all planned out...Rorty Design mid-engine chassis, FWD Audi 5spd, Euro RS4 300hp engine upgrades... Now all I need is a whole lot more talent than I've got and big pile of money to throw at it.

I also want to twin-turbo the 302 in my full size Bronco tow rig. Daydreams...

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
8/5/10 11:02 a.m.

I'd like to make my own Shogun.

16v, 2.0L in the back of either my Scirocco or a mk1 GTI/Rabbit/Caddy. The VW Caddy idea is actually pretty neat, and almost practical.

Instead, I picked up an MR2 and enjoyed the work Toyota did for me instead.

kb58
kb58 Reader
8/5/10 12:33 p.m.

That's exactly what I did with Kimini, putting a Honda H22 in the back, and admit to always wanting an R5 in my book. The entire drivetrain is used as-is, no flipping around needed; "forward" to the engine is still "forward" to the car. If you're considering putting a drivetrain in the back, I really recommend this: Kimini book. You're why the book was written...

Here's an old picture of me changing the coolant, with the rear engine cover removed:

Okay, enough of the sales pitch... you can alway check out the website, kimini.com Oh, and the car was on the cover of the Nov 2006 GRM :)

It's since been sold and I'm on to the new project, a mid-engine "Seven" midlana.com

cptkirk
cptkirk
12/14/10 10:32 a.m.
amg_rx7 wrote:

Hey thats my car........

I saw on my photobucket account that people on this site were viewing my pictures and was intrigued as to what the site was.

If you want to read the full build diary you can find it here:Cpt Kirks Mini Build Diary You will have to register to view the photos, lets face it, its not very interesting without photos.

To wet the appetite the motor is a std Honda K20A2 from the Acura RSX with a Jackson Racing Supercharger, 4-2-1 stainless exhaust. It runs 288HP at the hubs + 190 ft/lb torque. Weighs in around 750Kg's & it'll do 0-60 in 3.4secs and 0-100 in 8secs dead.

The build was not without its ups and downs, mostly downs, but I got there in the end and I love driving it.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/14/10 10:34 a.m.

In reply to bentvalve:

I was actually planning on doing this with my '90 civic si. I had the front clip from my old '89 and was going to graft it into the rear of the '90 and relocate the driveline back there. Then somewhere along the line I realized I didn't have the time to take on something like that. Still, it would be neat. It would be even neater by replacing the stock engine/trans with a 3.2 from a TL-S.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
12/14/10 10:37 a.m.

Just look at a Fiero. GM just took the Citation drive train and put it in the back.
Biggest problem is bump steer on the rear wheels.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/14/10 10:53 a.m.

In reply to kb58:

You don't per-chance have an eReader version for download somewhere do you?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rkh4H2AEuRcX3sCXtAYQfRPiLd4Rj12JA1dhqZ1M3TJ9GQjDBKn3musL9VT5vCsS